1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic is raining riches upon us...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DHart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The GM5, the LX100, the GX7.... so impressive! Each is part of a wonderful trio of compact image makers... and there is a place for each of these kits in my imaging, depending on the situation and the imaging task at hand.

TrioofPanys.

GM5 with 12-32 ~ LX100 with 12-35 ~ GX7 with 12-35

It's amazing that each of these very different options is capable of producing such awesome images, with the same sensor, yet they are each a master of their very different individual realms.

The GX7 and 12-35 has been my every-day camera in my day-bag for quite some time. I've chosen the kit because of the exceptional ergonomics of the GX7 and the exceptional image quality that the 12-35 produces. However, in the all-day bag, it can be a little bulky and weighty, considering its purpose in this situation is just to have a good camera at hand... in the event that photo-making opportunities present themselves.

With the dawn of the LX100 and the GM5... I'm so excited to be able to have a camera in my every day bag that can create images rivaling the GX7/12-35, but with a considerable savings in size and weight. I've preordered both and can't wait to carry and shoot them.

I'll certainly grab the GX7 and lenses such as the 12-35 when I set out to create images that I may want for "higher purpose" than grab shots. But there are so many situations where you want the convenience of smaller size and lighter weight, but want to be able to capture great quality. Now, with the GM5, LX100, and GX7, we have almost an embarrassment of riches as image makers.

Panasonic is really doing an exceptional job with their m4/3 efforts... in both bodies and lenses. I couldn't be happier to be a m4/3 image maker, these days. We've come such a long way since 2009!

• Like Like x 11
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The other impressive option from Panny is the FZ1000. Obviously in a different sensor category, and certainly not right for all of the folks who use m4/3s, but a very good and versatile camera which is further indication of the rain storm from the Panasonic cloud bank.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    demiro... you're right. And, I forgot to include the CM-1! That little goodie, too, is rocking the imaging world.

We're fortunate to have a company like Panasonic so vigorously creating great products for us.

• Like Like x 2
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Rather hoping I can get the CM1 on a phone contract here, depends on what they want for a monthly pay as I am on the lowest payment possible sim only but the CM1 with a decent sensor may be worth it.
    Also got to mention the 35-100 variable aperture for a truly portable tele lens, I have a pre order in already and I never do that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Alex, yes. Somehow I have resisted picking up a copy of the great 35-100/2.8. But if the new, smaller, 35-100 turns out to have excellent optical performance as it's sister, the 12-32 has, I may not be able to resist that one.

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think the key to this new enthusiasm is that Panasonic has finally convinced many of us to "think outside the box' - to realize that bigger and heavier is not necessarily better. Photography is getting to be more fun!

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If the CM1 would fit with my phone contract, it could be my most used camera.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I, too, would love a CM1. It's a shame it will be so pricey and unlikely to come to North America. I think I could justify spending $700, perhaps even $800, on it as an off-contract phone, since there's no way Panasonic is going to be able to find local carriers in Canada to subsidize it, see as only 1 or 2 Nokias and Sonys are available subsidized, which I consider to be the only really credible camera phone competitors at the upper level...

I wish the GM5 had a slightly more thorough upgrade...the inclusion of either 4K or IBIS would have put me over the moon. As it stands, the GX7 still seems like the ideal form factor, but I'm going to need to wait for a GX8 because there is no Auto ISO in M mode. Unless I get an EM5 Mk. 2 whenever that comes out...but I really prefer Panasonic's ergonomics by a long shot.

9. Lcdemack

Lcdemack Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    So Cal
    Lawrence
    Agreed Agreed! :2thumbs:
    Tho much of my love for Panasonic stems from their m4/3rds efforts.
    As you go down the road of an interchangeable lens system you invest in much more than today's latest bodies, and I'm looking for signs of longevity.
    My new GX7 with IBIS is Amazing as is the Oly 45mm 1.8 I bought with it.

I was a bit concerned for a short while with all the other mirrorless formats coming out anew and challenging the pure m4/3rds format for mirrorless prominence, but between Panasonic's recent offerings (how amazing is the GM1/5 series?) and Oly's E-M1 and all the new m4/3rds lenses from both, my hope for the future of the core m4/3rds format is renewed stronger than ever.

I mean, I'm hip that some manufacturers want to try and utilize a full-frame sensor in the same body size as a GX7 or smaller. Everyone has an opinion on how to approach what is likely someday to have been the birth of the next gen of semi-pro interchangeable lens cameras (mirrorless), but let's not forget who basically started this journey. :biggrin:

As I've suggested for years; the capability of any one sensor size is limited only by technology, and we really are just at the beginning. To suggest that a sensor size once dictated by a frame of still film and legacy glass products is the ultimate way to decide what size of sensor is optimal for decades into the future is just off base. And if it were only about bigger is better, we'd all be using Medium format cameras.
    Ultimately, until a solution for current lens technology allows some new dramatic leap is sizes, there is out there amongst these new mirrorless cameras a body/lens sized system that should suffice for the next 50 years minimum, and probably drive much of the future of camera design, and I doubt it's a D810 size camera/lens system - or larger.
    Apparently, Panasonic and many others think the same, along with you peeps.

So then, draw a pint for a great time to be alive as any sort of interested photographer with an open mind, and reward the mover and shaker manufacturers with purchases (as they can use it just now) and you will be rewarded with new shiny toys in return. Then show your photos to all your friends and show any of them keenly interested, why your little camera is so powerful and ground breaking so they'll go buy one too. :drinks:
    I do every chance I get. :horse:

--LD

• Like Like x 1
  10. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    And physics, of course ;)

11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It's refreshing to see Panasonic go all in. All this camera manufacturer sandbagging is tiresome.

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    A bigger sensor with the same technology level will always give you either greater resolution or low light usability, there comes a point however that at a particular size for a particular use or set of requirements becomes good enough. That is to say if I want to print a high quality A3 at 300dpi and shoot at 400iso then 16mp is near enough to not worry about and we have a good enough output at 400iso also to not worry about it, so the sensor tech in our cameras are good enough. If I want to print at A2 at 300dpi then I would have to either get a higher resolution sensor or up res the image, I have printed 40"x30" prints from the 16mp sensors and the print has been plenty good enough. So in my opinion 16mp is really good enough for probably 99% of uses, the viewer will be standing further back looking at a larger print so it does not require the resolution per inch of a smaller one and that helps a lot with the need for greater resolution. If you are a regular low light action shooter or need to keep a high shutter speed in lower light then it may not be good enough, but compared to using a 1600asa film they have long surpassed them and I can certainly print larger from a G3 at 2/400 iso than I could with 35mm film and not start having lumps of grain all over the shop. I have to say I have a 60"x40" print from TriX and the grain actually looks quite beautiful. In my opinion as sensor tech advances there will be a point where a format that would cover 90% of most peoples needs that is half the size of m43, but m43 of that point will still be better as will 35mm frame cameras and so on, we live in great times for easy to carry photographic gear.

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    We sure do, especially with these new offerings.

14. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Exactly my point. The size of the sensor or film will influence the image. I celebrate the M43 format - wonderful cameras and lenses, which are clearly the right balance for lots of folks. Some might actually prefer the "look" of M43 images (I do not). The greater DOF in M43 could easily be seen as an advantage for some kinds of photography.

My personal preference is moving towards larger formats. Of course this is subjective, and I hope many formats remain available to meet different tastes. I totally agree - this is a great time for photography.

15. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    alright my fellow Australians we have our first price drop at $1079 from $1199 at Digidirect.

http://www.digidirect.com.au/digita...x_dmc-lx100gnk_compact_digital_camera_-_black

Edit: Added Camerapro

http://www.camerapro.com.au/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100-compact-digital-camera-black.html

My work has updated their stocklist and the camera is on there currently only in black (it's not on our website as of now :( ). I think it'll be available next month and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone started doing $1079.

If your local store doesn't do it for $1079, definitely ask them to price match and they should!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Placed my pre-order with CameraPro.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there, I'm looking at getting my first panasonic camera (the lx100) to replace one of my ep5 cameras, my 12-40/2.8, and potentially 17/1.8, 14/2.5, 20/1.7.

I will keep my second ep5 to use with my 45 and 75/1.8 primes for portrait use until olympus can offer something better in the video department.

Can you tell me your thoughts behind getting both the lx100 and gm5? I was considering the gm5 until the lx100 was announced. Isn't there a lot I overlap there?

You also shoot with the ep5 as well as the gx7. How is it matching colour between the panasonic and olympus cameras? I mostly shoot JPEG, and like the olympus output when sharing photos or printing photo books for family. I guess this will be more important in the photo book application as well as matching shots for video...

Thanks for any insight!

18. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've preordered both the LX100 and the GM5, to go along with GX7 and E-P5 w/VF-4. I let my EM5 and EPL5 go as I prefer the GX7 and EP5. The GX7 has been my main body for quite some time. It's a fantastic camera. But I ordered the LX100 and GM5 to fill different roles.

The LX100 will replace my GX7 as the daily bag camera. I want to reduce the size and weight of my day bag, which carries a lot more than just a camera. The GX7 and 12-35 are a bit bulky and heavy for the day bag, so that's where the LX100 comes in. The LX100 will likely be a very versatile, great, very convenient camera. But I like to shoot wide angle quite a bit and 12mm is not nearly wide angle enough for those times, thus...

The GM5 will come into play when I want the convenience of very small and lightweight, but with my interchangeable lenses (the 9-18, 7-14, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 20, 25, 45, 60, 75, 100-300.) Most times, I will likely use the GX7 with the larger lenses and the GM5 with the smaller ones. I don't like having to swap lenses when doing travel photography... it's too slow, too cumbersome, and invites more opportunity for dust and dirt into the bodies, not to mention more potential to drop something while changing lenses. Thus, I'll use the GX7 and the GM5 at the same time (sling straps). With 7-14 (or 9-18) on the GM5 and 12-35 on the GX7. That covers me well when I'm actively doing photography during travel and walk-around. Also may have another lens or two in the pocket, if needed.

As for matching color between the Pany and Oly bodies, I only shoot RAW and I spend some time with all images in Lightroom. That's the only way to achieve the best control over the look of the final image. No matter what the camera or the brand, straight-out-of-camera JPG or RAW doesn't begin to suffice for me. I enjoy editing and it yields the best results, so I shoot RAW and I edit. No issues mixing camera body brands when you do this.

19. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I swapped from my em5/epm2 combo to 2x ep5 to have two of the same bodies with different focal lengths. I also wanted an effective ibis, 1/8000 shutter, and the better EVF which I swap between the two.

I have the 12-40 and 35-100 2.8 zooms, but they don't get much use unless I'm shooting and event. I'm considering selling them as I find I get better results with the o17/1.8 or p25 on one body and the 45 or 75 on the other.

I am completely happy with this setup for photograpy, and probably would not be looking for another camera, but I'm shooting more video these days and I'm frustrated by the lack of image quality on the olympus when shooting wide or with larger depth of field or lots if detail/motion.

I would have switched to all panasonic already if it was not for the ibis for video stabilisation. I mostly take pictures of my kids so I need fast shutter anyway, however I like the ibis to stabilise video when using the longer primes.

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    B&H is shipping the LX100 now. I got word yesterday that mine is on the way! Excited. Hopefully, shipping the GM5 won't be far behind.

• Like Like x 1