1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic is Developing a New, Smaller 35-100mm f/2.8 Lens!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    March 7 update: It was a mistake. Not f/2.8: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53262304

Here is Mark Baber, technical product manager for Panasonic Lumix in the UK, showing off a "mockup sample" of a 35-100mm lens that Panasonic is "thinking of developing" and "working on":

12959427203_f18af2a896.
    Source: http://videographers.co.uk/

The black lens he is holding is the current Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 zoom. Amazingly, Mr. Baber claims that this new smaller 35-100mm lens under development is also a constant f/2.8 aperture "without any compromise in picture quality".

Listen for yourself as he says it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCPXjUVHzg&t=8m55s

I think this is as good an illustration as any for how Olympus and Panasonic are continuing to push the size advantage of the Micro 4/3 format relative to larger formats. It's true that mirrorless designs allow smaller digital APS-C and full frame systems than ever before, but Micro Four Thirds isn't sitting around waiting to give up this critical advantage.

ePhotozine has some nice high res pics of the new lens mockup: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-leica-15mm-f-1-7--35-100mm-hands-on-preview-24215

• Like Like x 12
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Keep the current size.

Reduce the current price.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That is mighty impressive if true.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Good for you Panasonic!

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Now this is really cool. I was looking at the Oly road map and trying to figure out how the 40-150 and the 300 would replace my current 50-200 and TCs without another bag. If this 35-100 is 2.8 and could use a 1.4 TC then I could easily see myself with a couple of primes - say 15 and 25 or the 9-18 + the 35-100 & 300, with the 1.4TC. This would all fit in my bag and be pretty light (well the 300 won't be :biggrin: ). This would allow me to shoot events with a very light kit.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will believe it when I see it! {an f2.8 constant aperture that is} The laws of physics can't be ignored and I just can't see how it can be that fast and that small. I really wonder if the guy got his info wrong. Perhaps it is an f2.8-f4? or an f3.5/f4 constant. It also doesn't make any sense considering that Panasonic already have a 35-100mm f2.8. Also this lens is suppose to go with the GM body{simple and affordable} and be a match to the new 12-32mm{styling is a perfect match BTW}.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't believe it until I watched the video. The fellow sounds very clear on this matter. Of course the specs are subject to change, but they're shooting sales of their current 30-100 in the foot by saying this, so...

8. speedandstyle

I saw the video and still don't believe it. People do make mistakes and even Panasonic reps are people. Might be he said what he thinks is right but isn't or he misspoke. Of coarse maybe Panasonic have made some sort of lens technology breakthrough?

Anyway here are a couple more pictures of the lens from a Japanese site. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140207_634398.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I agree. Absolutely no doubt that the product manager does say it is a 2.8 constant but still dont believe it. Here is a picture of the mock up of the 35-100 that Panasonic say they are developing.

Clipboard_Image_54_.

You can see the lens is identical to the one the product manager is brandishing.

Now Panasonic have never given the aperture setting for this lens (which is aimed as a second kit lens for the GM1) but if you look at the size of the front lens, it isnt big enough for a 35-100 f2.8 (on the mock up at least.)

Finally, I dont really see that there is any sense in Panasonic introducing such a lens. Its only direct competitor is Panny's own 35-100 2.8 and if it were priced at the budget end it would destroy sales of their premium lens while if it was priced at a premium it wouldnt really fit the profile of the GM1 demographic.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Good video. The focus speed on the GH4 didn't look impressive at all, though.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Might they be using higher index glass than is currently being used in camera lenses?

12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Something similar to Canon's diffractive optical element?

By the way, if they can make an f/2.8 that size, I'd surely like to see an f/2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I hope olympus and panasonic focus on making smaller lenses. The current lenses are small aready but i would love it if they were fast pancakes. :D
    enough with the bodies, they're good enough, focus on smaller lenses!!!!!!

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure I buy it being a constant 2.8, though perhaps it is a collapsing design without weather sealing.

Now, I could see it being a 2.8 - 4. That would be an interesting lens, priced right.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    This is fantastic - if it's true - but much as I hope it's true, it does sound a little too good to be true.
    If they go this route and have figured a formula for reducing the lens size further without sacrificing optical quality in any way over the existing 35-100 , then I would also like them to release an even higher quality telephoto zoom at the existing 35-100 size/weight e.g. an F1.8-F2 zoom. They had actually alluded to the possibility of a Panasonic - Leica partnership having potential in the zoom market if people wanted it. I think there is a market for both small and large lenses in the eco-system, it need not be limited to one type or the other. One lens that makes zero compromises for the sake of the utmost image quality and another that makes the traditional compromises for size/weight (but preferably not too many compromises ;) )

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Quite hard to believe that this new lens doesn't compromise on IQ. Surely something has to give?

Sure, it will most likely not be weather sealed but that would equate to a minimal size saving...it may not have OIS...how much reduction in size would that equate too? Not all that much...many equivalent Oly zooms without the OIS aren't dramatically smaller than their Pana equivalents.

I wonder if they've been able to achieve this (or are working towards achieving this) by not using an internal zoom design which the current 35-100/2.8 of course is ??

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's usually our wallets.

• Like Like x 5
  18. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Eh. Kinda cool, as I didn't like the original 35-100 that much. But what they really need is a 100mm 1.4.

19. speedandstyle

I know all the talk is on the maximum aperture so I am going to shift it a bit. Let's assume it is just another kit lens with the usual f3.5-5.6 or so, what then? I think it is very compact in size and I would assume also low in weight. This lens along with either the 12-32mm zoom or perhaps a wide and standard prime{or maybe just the new 15mm} would make a great travel kit{assuming you don't need long tele}.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    At this size, show me the fast ƒ1.8 constant zoom then.....:happy-084:

• Like Like x 2