Panasonic Introduces Hybrid O.I.S – 5 Point Image Stabilization on ZS30 (TZ40)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by biomed, Feb 28, 2014.

1. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    This may be old news to some, but I just read about this today. Interesting that Panasonic introduced this 5 axis OIS in February of 2013. It apparently is implemented in their video cameras and compact digicams. It also incorporates an auto level function. I wonder when this will work its way into their u4/3 lenses.

Mirrorless Central

Panasonic

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    O.I.S. means Optical Image Stabilization doesn't it? If so then it would be in the lens? I'm confused.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think he's stressing the fact that Panny introduced five-axis stabilization before Oly did in the E-M1, even if len- versus body-based. Fuji's new S1 bridge camera has five-axis stabilization as well. I have no idea how many axis are handled by OIS in Panny's micro four-thirds lenses.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Oly introduced it in the E-M5 in 2012. The E-M1 just got a slight update.

• Like Like x 1
  5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    yea this was mentioned before here

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Ah ok, I always thought five axis only applies to sensor based stabilization, hence my confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It does say hybrid IS which indicates that it uses more than one method. I don't know how a purely optical-based IS system could correct for rotation about the lens' axis.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, this is my thinking as well.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think it really is, so no confusion there.
    They have used some kind of 5-axis stabilisation within a whole package of sensor + lens = digicam,
    maybe collaborated with Olympus in the design but its not the same beast.

10. Jimwest

Jimwest New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014
    I think Panasonic not using in body IS till GX7 was more of a commercial rather than technical decision.

I think Panasonic originality chose lens based systems as they firmly believed this was better, the Olympus 5 -axis system proved otherwise.

By having superior a superior in-lens stabilization system gives users of Panasonic body a compelling reason to stick to Panasonic lenses.

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The five axis OIS is used in Panasonic HD camcorders and P&S cameras (Lumix ZS30).

The advantage of OIS over IBIS is that OIS has more freedom of movement than IBIS. OIS generally outperforms IBIS with longer focal length lenses. The longer the focal length the greater the angular movement the stabilization system has to correct for.