Panasonic inferiority complex (PIC)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DynaSport, May 9, 2014.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I think I may have PIC. I was at the Post Office earlier this week mailing some framed photos I took and printed of my new granddaughter for my mom, and the postman was helping me make sure they were adequately wrapped and packaged for hopefully safe delivery. In the process he saw some of the photos and commented on how cute my granddaughter is. He also commented on the quality of the photos and I proudly told him I had taken the photos and even printed them myself. So, of course he asked me the inevitable question of what kind of camera I use. I told him a Panasonic, not bothering to mention the model, as I assumed he wouldn't know it. I got the expected blank look in return. My guess is he was thinking, "Panasonic, they're not a camera company are they?"

So, then my PIC kicked in to high gear and I told him I used to shoot Canon, but had switched. He looked thoughtful and said, "Well, they are very nice photos."

As I left a part of me wished I could have said Nikon, or Canon, or even Olympus or Pentax, as they are all recognized as photo companies. But Panasonic? Not so much. I absolutely know I shouldn't care, but this has come up several times with friends who know I am into photography. They all seem so surprised to hear I am now shooting this 'small' Panasonic instead of my properly sized and recognized Canon. Am I the only one who feels like they must defend their choice of camera gear to others? I resolve to get over this and not feel this way any more. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Perhaps we can start a support group :smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    I mostly have to explain why I switched but that's it really, most of my responses are uh ok you seem to know what you're talking about.

If it's at work then I have a print that I can show which helps.
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Your only fault was an immediate reflex to explain yourself when faced with the blank look.
    Embrace the blank look : it signifies your superior knowledge!

The sharpest lens I've ever owned, of all systems is a Panasonic.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tape over the panasonic logo and write olympus over it:)
    Seriously. Dont let peoples lack of knowledge concern you. ..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I'm proud to have a matching bread maker and camera ;)

• Like Like x 15
  6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Wonder if Samsung NX users go through the same thing?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Fwiw, when I was first researching current-tech cameras, I didn't realize Lumix was a Panasonic brand. Just say Lumix -- sounds more tech exotic and less microwaveish. ;)
  8. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    If you have to justify your equipment to someone then it's probably not worth discussing anyways as the person probably doesn't know much about it to begin with. I get the same thing with my choice of cars and motorcycles as I prefer to buy things that suit my wants versus what the herd is buying. If you are happy with your choice who cares what others think, let your images do the talking.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I do seem to always take the less traveled path. I ride a Buell after all. Almost no one I meet has even heard of them. I don't think of myself as someone normally overly concerned with what others think about my choices of what I buy. But I wouldn't be comepletely honest if I said I didn't appreciate a little validation now and then. Maybe no one else here has those feelings, or maybe no one else here is willing to admit them.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I do not think that their matching bread makers are quite as good, so probably not! :biggrin:

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    • Like Like x 4
  12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    That's the curse of having your own ideas, tastes and understanding of your needs. I am afraid but not a lot of people do, hence the lack of validation.

I'm really bad at motivating people, ain't I?:biggrin:
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a PL 25mm 1.4 mounted on one of my bodies, and I live near a snooty part of town. As I was walking around the area, this lady commented that I had a nice Leica and my camera must take nice pictures, despite being mounted to an Olympus body! Obviously the only thing that registered in her head was LEICA and that it must mean I had a good camera. I was like yeah, whatevers, but that's how people outside the camera-know go by the brands they are aware of.
  14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    But hey she was right... nothing is as lovely as PL25. Ive had two and miss them both:)
  15. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm trying to find a polite way to tell other photographers "you're *still* using a Canon/Nikon?"

I find it just as crazy that people still use giant DSLRs as they find the idea of using Panasonic.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I went through the same thing when I was using my Samsung NX10. I would get the same "great shot, what did you use?" questions and I would say Samsung. The response usually was "Samsung? I would have thought Canon or Nikon", then I felt compelled to explain the difference and premise of a mirrorless camera. I found after getting an Olympus (OM-D E-M5) when people asked the response was more like "Oh, I didn't know they still made SLRs, but they used to make great cameras" or "That's a digital camera?, it looks like an old film camera. It looks really cool"

I don't feel "inferior" with the Olympus, and I managed to get over it with the Samsung since I knew for me at the time it was the best value camera I could have gotten and produced some really nice images for me. The thing that really helped me get over the Samsung inferiority was when I was getting a 20x30 print of the image below printed at a local shop and a pro was in there talking about how he ordered a D800 because the D700 wasn't giving him what he wanted, and he was really impressed at the print and assumed it was from canon or nikon FF. I told him no it was Samsung NX10 and he said "Damn, maybe I need a Samsung". Now maybe he wasn't that great of a photographer, I have no way of knowing, it just gave me the confidence boost I needed. Don't be ashamed of Panasonic!

(If I should be embarrased of showing this photo let me live in my
    Upper Graveyard Field Falls_SAM2591 by Eli.Morgan, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    And I love my Panny toaster oven. Takes full-slice toast too!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    It's 'cause all the cool kids are using Fujis! [I don't, so you know where I stand.] Gotta hand it to them on the spin/PR front (nothing against the cameras)- they have the momentum :)
  19. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Yes they do, and I use a Fuji :tongue:
  20. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    i just realized my microwave is panasonic!

people think i'm nuts when i say i sold a leica (m8) so i could buy the GH3, but it's for the baby and i wanted video!