Panasonic GX880.

GrahamB

Mu-43 Regular
Just announced in Europe, an update of the GX 800 (850 in USA).
Not very different apart from a small raised grip on front and some improvements to the selfie mode and 4K photo.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I believe the GX880 does away with the 30 minute video record time at 25/30fps that was due to a European tariff. From what I've read, the tariff either has ended or will expire next month. The previous non-European GX850 did not have the limit also. The 5 minute limit for 4K video and 20 minute limit for 1080p 50fps still remains. Here is a quote I clipped from photographyblog.com:

MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [FHD/30p] [FHD/25p] [HD]: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB or 30 minutes in length, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.

WT21

Super Moderator
I'm trying to work on a review of the GX850, but I haven't had a lot of time. Looks like it will be obsolete by the time I finish it! :D

GrahamB

Mu-43 Regular
My main camera is the GX80/85 with P12-60, P25/1.7 and P12-32. I was about to press the “buy” button on a GX800/850 body to use as a ‘carry round’ fitted with my existing 12-32 and my only concern is the lack of grip which the new version has, albeit very small. Your comments on this are appreciated?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
My main camera is the GX80/85 with P12-60, P25/1.7 and P12-32. I was about to press the “buy” button on a GX800/850 body to use as a ‘carry round’ fitted with my existing 12-32 and my only concern is the lack of grip which the new version has, albeit very small. Your comments on this are appreciated?
It hasn't been a showstopper for me. For small lenses it really isn't a big deal. My view is that as a secondary camera, they are only worth buying at discounted used prices. No point waiting around for a used GX880 just for a grip. If it's really a problem you could just get one of those RX100 stick on grips.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Lol like the GX850 you probably won't hit 5 min at 4K unless it's cold. My GX850 tends to overheat at about 3 min.
3 mins? :eek: I get 3 mins with my heatsink hack and max. 1,5 minutes without it. I'm about to get a better heatsink in a week or two so hopefully I'll get that 5 minute 4k recording in every situation after that. Just last weekend I was filming 4k in an event (with the heatsink on) and half of the videos ended prematurely because of overheating.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
3 mins? :eek: I get 3 mins with my heatsink hack and max. 1,5 minutes without it. I'm about to get a better heatsink in a week or two so hopefully I'll get that 5 minute 4k recording in every situation after that. Just last weekend I was filming 4k in an event (with the heatsink on) and half of the videos ended prematurely because of overheating.
So I have to ask, why continue trying to record 4K with the GX850 under those conditions? Unlike staged productions where you can repeat the scene if something doesn't work out, with events, you've lost the chance at recording it.

I would think you should start saving to upgrade to a camera that can record 4K videos long enough for you to use, and/or drop back to 1080p.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
So I have to ask, why continue trying to record 4K with the GX850 under those conditions? Unlike staged productions where you can repeat the scene if something doesn't work out, with events, you've lost the chance at recording it.

I would think you should start saving to upgrade to a camera that can record 4K videos long enough for you to use, and/or drop back to 1080p.
1) I'm not going to buy a dedicated camera for video. My primary camera is E-M5 which is awful for video. GX800 has pretty decent video quality so why not take advantage of it? 5 minute recording is plenty enough for my use.
2) I'm waiting for the E-M5III to finally arrive so I can upgrade my E-M5s. Pretty sure that will fix my video issue.
3) Adding a ~$10 heatsink is by far the best solution regarding price/quality ratio at the moment.
4) I have never been booked to record video in any event. If I were I would have bought a better camera for it. I've only been paid for stills and my E-M5s (and GX800/850) get the job done.
5) Goes without saying that 4k beats 1080p in IQ (+ there's room for cropping and stabilizing if needed). And as a perfectionist I aim to get the best possible outcome for anything I do - including videos taken at various events. But since I'm not getting paid I'm not willing to pay just to get a better video camera.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
1) I'm not going to buy a dedicated camera for video. My primary camera is E-M5 which is awful for video. GX800 has pretty decent video quality so why not take advantage of it? 5 minute recording is plenty enough for my use.
My comment was more about missing videos, and not knowing ahead of time whether the video you are taking will be recorded.

As a hobbyist who shoots some family video and as one who has also been paid modest amounts to record shows, I can understand not wanting to put money down into a video only setup. When I bought my G85, I didn't even consider using it for video, but when I tried it out, I liked the video much, much better than the refurbished camcorder I had been using, and now I use the G85 for video, and gave away the camcorder to a friend's son who was starting to make movies.

But on the other hand, I would imagine that if a good chunk of videos I record did not come out that Murphy's Law would dictate that the videos that weren't recorded would be the ones I really wanted and being events, they could not be re-shot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom