1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX80 / GX85 - First impressions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, May 4, 2016.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Note: I live in the UK, so I'll call it GX80 :D

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with the new GX80 for the past few days. Time to share my first impressions while keep working on the full review.

Panasonic-GX85-GX80-review-hands-on-featured.

What I like so far:
    • IBIS and Dual IS
    It works really well, especially the latter allows for some stunning slow shutter speeds hand held (2s at 12mm and 0.8s at 100mm my best score so far). With wide angle lenses Dual IS doesn't seem clearly superior to the Olympus 5-axis system, but with telephoto lenses the advantage is there.

IBIS and Dual IS are fully operational for video too and that's the big step from the GX8. You can also add software stabilization. I've started using the camera for my Youtube videos and I can basically do all my product shots hand held. I'll prepare a video comparison with the Pen F in the following days.

• The new L.monochrome profile
    It has better contrast than the other monochrome profile and I'm not disliking it. You don't have the same customization options as the Pen F but it's a nice upgrade for those who like OOC JPGs.

• AF
    It has DfD so the AF is blazing fast in most situations. I already took some sports images with it (Marathon) and the keeper rate is good. It is much slower for video however.

• 4K and all the video features
    Panasonic has so many features for 4K and video in general that I always forget to go through all of them. I had fun testing the new 4K Live Cropping mode that allows you to create digital panning or zooming in camera (the output is Full HD). You can see it in the video below.

What I don't like so far:

• Design is a step back from the GX7
    I really like the GX7 because it is small yet has a comfortable ergonomics and ease of use. On the new GX80 they got rid of the AF/MF selector on the rear and the grip is sligthly smaller. No tilting EVF and that's another feature I loved on the GX7.

I'll share more informations as I keep testing the camera. The new sensor with no AA filter doesn't seem to have a big advantage in sharpness (actually for now I'm not seeing any difference when compared to the GX7).

Below a few images. There's more in my article (also in full res)
    on MirrorLessons. As always, feel free to ask anything about the camera.

Panasonic-GX85-GX80-sample-images-1-XL.

Panasonic-GX80-GX85-sample-images-3-XL.

Panasonic-GX80-GX85-sample-images-8-XL.

Panasonic-GX80-GX85-sample-images-15-XL.

[​IMG]
    1s, hand held (9mm with the M.Zuiko 9-18mm)

Panasonic-GX80-GX85-sample-images-19-XL.
    0.8s, hand held (Lumix 35-100mm 2.8 at 100mm)

• Like Like x 11
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Thank you for this, this camera has me hanging on to m43 and not fully ditching it for e-mount. This satisfies my biggest gripe with the system. The split between 5-axis and good video between vendors.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thanks for the write-up on your site! I'm curious how you feel about the AA-less sensor upon a little more scrutiny. You didn't seem too impressed with it, however I've seen the opposite reaction from a few sources. Overall the sensor looks the same to me, but someone recently stated he heard from Panasonic that it's not a Panasonic sensor (GM5 is, GX7 I'm not sure?).

Is it indeed composite/plastic? I've never heard anything conclusive except for aluminum dials on top; the rest of it sounds to be plastic. Does it feel more solid than the GF7 did?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    That waterfall shot at 0.8s and 100mm is impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I'll do more testing of the sensor, but for now I see no relevant differences really.

It's plastic with metal dials, maybe it's aluminium, I admit I can't really tell the difference by just touching it :)

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Great writing! Looking forward to further evolving this thread.

Is it possible to put Exposure compensation on one dial?

Long shot question. Would it work with a GM1 battery? Maybe they are smaller but still usable. No idea.

Could you post a photo from underneat, have never seen that. Tripod mount and so on.

Skickat från min LG-H815 via Tapatalk

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the review! What do you think of the EVF and how does it compare to other bodies?

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. I have one on pre-order and will be using it for 50% stills/50% video.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Metal / aluminum would be nice. But more important: "How does it feel?" Most of the Fuji bodies I've handled and some of the m4/3 bodies have a hollow feeling to my hand. The GX7, OMDs, E-P5, even the GM1/5 seem pretty solid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes you can put Exposure compensation on the front or rear dial. However it won't work in manual mode for the Auto ISO.

The GM1 battery won't work.

Here is the image:
    IMG_1800.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I like it so far. Excellent resolution and good magnification. It is smaller compared to the one on the GX8 or E-M1 but not so different from the one on the Pen F.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    It feels solid to me, same build quality of the GX7 basically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. toxotis70

toxotis70 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    Does it crop the image in 4k video , without software Stabilizer?

14. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    It has the same specs as the GX7 but does the EVF on the GX80/85 feel the same as the one on the GX7? Asking because my eyes were one of those few that didn't get along with the GX7 leading me not to get it (got the GX8 instead).

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Even though I haven't owned a camera with this feature, I feel exposure comp in auto-ISO would be a nice feature for me. A pity the GX85 doesn't do it; that's one of the only reservations I currently have with it.

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the feedback! Did you try using the EVF in low light?

17. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes it does. This is how it looks like:

GX80 4K crop.001.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Mostly the same but one improvement is that you can set up 60fps for the live view on the GX80.

19. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes, not bad at all thanks to the 60fps live view.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Was this improved from the GX7? If this is the case, I can seriously see myself picking this body up!

• Agree Agree x 1