Panasonic GX80/85 image thread

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Starting a sample thread for the GX85/GX80/GX7 II. Please share your settings if you think it's worth noting.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
As of today, Lightroom CC ver 2015.5.1, ACR 9.5.1 does not support the GX80 RAW files so these are JPGs with some minor processing

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Safety Wire by John Flores, on Flickr

With the Olympus 45/1.8 at 1/13s. At 100% the edge is tack sharp. Banding in shadows may be JPG artifacts or limitations of sRGB color space.

Eames by John Flores, on Flickr

John M Flores

Super Moderator
At least on my screen, the red surface is really posterized. Probably not a camera thing, though.
Camera was still set to sRGB (default) when I took the shot. I suspect that the banding/posterization is due to the colorspace.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Some samples with the Olympus 25mm f1.8, L. Monochrome with NR set to -5, contrast +1, sharpness +1. No PP. Most of these I used the green monochrome filter with the L. Monochrome mode to balance the foliage.

P1000059 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000050 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000043 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000038 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000035 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000033 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000085 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

P1000073 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

There are a few more in the Flickr album. I am thinking I like this monochrome mode a lot.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I haven't had time to take more than a few test shots in the house so far. I use Lightroom CC and knew there's currently no Adobe support for GX85 RAW files yet. But ... no Panny software included? There's not even a download link. I shoot RAW exclusively and hoped I'd be able to muddle along with some clunky Panny software till LR & PS support this cam. Had I realized this earlier, I would have held off my purchase. Best Buy's return policy is 15 days, so no time to check out GX85 RAWS. :-(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
It's pointed to in the manual but not included. I need to download it so I can play with some raws!
Download from where? There's nothing available on the US Panny site. I even had to get the advanced manual from the Japanese site. Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As of today, Lightroom CC ver 2015.5.1, ACR 9.5.1 does not support the GX80 RAW files so these are JPGs with some minor processing

Safety Wire by John Flores, on Flickr

With the Olympus 45/1.8 at 1/13s. At 100% the edge is tack sharp. Banding in shadows may be JPG artifacts or limitations of sRGB color space.

Eames by John Flores, on Flickr

LOVE the second shot!!!!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I haven't had time to take more than a few test shots in the house so far. I use Lightroom CC and knew there's currently no Adobe support for GX85 RAW files yet. But ... no Panny software included? There's not even a download link. I shoot RAW exclusively and hoped I'd be able to muddle along with some clunky Panny software till LR & PS support this cam. Had I realized this earlier, I would have held off my purchase. Best Buy's return policy is 15 days, so no time to check out GX85 RAWS. :-(

Don't dismiss it too quickly. SilkyPix makes better colors and sharper files from Panasonic files than LR. I bought LR a couple months ago and feel like it was $150 down the can because I don't trust it with anything but landscapes. It does a real number on my kids skin colors.

Anybody want to buy it from me?

Download from where? There's nothing available on the US Panny site. I even had to get the advanced manual from the Japanese site. Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything.

SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE Version

(Page says 3.0, but download the latest 4.4.x version)

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Don't dismiss it too quickly. SilkyPix makes better colors and sharper files from Panasonic files than LR. I bought LR a couple months ago and feel like it was $150 down the can because I don't trust it with anything but landscapes. It does a real number on my kids skin colors.

Anybody want to buy it from me?

SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE Version

(Page says 3.0, but download the latest 4.4.x version)
Thanks for the link. But ... it says on the download page 'Customers who already have "SILKYPIX Developer Studio SE" can use
"SILKYPIX Developer SE 4.4SE" for free.'

When I got my LX-5, I installed whatever version of SilkyPix from the included CD and then was able to update to new releases, but I couldn't do a fresh install. I've downloaded the software, but I haven't had a chance to try to install it yet. Very strange that Panasonic references the software in the user manual but doesn't provide any way to get a licensed copy. The US web site is certainly not ready to support the GX85 yet, freshly released camera or no. Anyway, will post back once I give it a whirl. Fingers crossed this at least gives me a trial to check out the GX85 RAWs. :)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Panasonic USA store still doesn't have a hard ship date for the camera... Thank you Best Buy for indulging our geekiness!

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Panasonic USA store still doesn't have a hard ship date for the camera... Thank you Best Buy for indulging our geekiness!
Yes, this is my first time as an early adopter (for photo gear), so I hadn't anticipated not having OEM software available to fully test the camera. :eek-31:But I just happened upon this review that says RawTherapee will develop RAWs from the GX85. Gotta give it a try. :)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I have an E-M10 and am looking at the GX85 very seriously. Would actually love to see a comparison. It does seem like the perfectly sized range finder companion to the E-M10.
I doubt there'll be much difference in size to the E-M10, but you'll have a whole new menu system and modus operandi to learn. Personally, I think it's worth sticking to one brand unless there's a very good reason not to.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom