Panasonic GX8 -- Learning video and the differences in PAL/NTSC leads to questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Anthony Martin, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2016
    Anthony Martin
    Hello folks,

I'm new on these forums, but have been wanting to join a micro four thirds community for a while. With the announcement of the GX85, I've been lurking around here watching your conversations like a good stalker.

I own a GX8 which I bought as an 'open box' off of Amazon early last fall. I've loved it. It's great, blah blah blah. Recently, my son has wanted to start his own gaming channel on the youtubes. I took to helping him out and have found a bit of a problem with my GX8's video. I don't know if I should be angry or not, so I'm seeking internet counsel since no one in my house understands what I'm talking about when I say the words "frame rate" or PAL/NTSC.

The problem is that the gameplay video we record is in 30 fps. I happened to notice that my video won't sync properly because the GX8 is capturing in 25 fps. My spider-sense went off. Apparently, I have a PAL camera that was sold as an "open box." The video file looks fine on the PC... I'd say it is fantastic... and while I'm reading somewhat frantically about the actual differences in PAL and NTSC I'm not sure how much of a deal I need to make out of this. From what I can read, I will not be able to match the 30fps output of the game recorder with this GX8 and I am finding myself a little perturbed. No matter what I'm going to end up with files of different length when I try to synchronize them.

The only idea I've had is to open my video files individually and try to downscale them to 24p from their 30 fps and 25 fps.

So my questions are...

Does anyone have any ideas of a work around that I could use software to sync these files up?

Is there any real problem with opening a 25 fps video file in an editor and force exporting it to 24 fps?

Lastly, how I loudly should I complain to the seller / Amazon? Considering it's been since September, I know there is no sanctification to be had.

2. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    What NLE (non-linear editor) are you using? I have no problem with combining different frame rate videos in Edius.

Fran

3. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2016
    Anthony Martin
    I think I may have had the cart before the horse. My pc recently went through a format and reinstall. I was testing some free software, but have downloaded and re-install Sony Movie Studio 11 and this seems to have cured my ills. Free software... sometimes it's worth exactly what you pay for it.