1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7K Mode knob - paint wearing off

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Noku Dzu, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    I have a black GX7. Anyone else seeing the paint wearing off of the top edge of the knob?

I am disappointed to see this happening on my few months old friend. It has NOT been bouncing around rubbing in a camera bag; when not in use. it sits on a shelf in my office. I do not constantly change modes.

Suggestions welcome.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I thought people loved black cameras because the paint wears off and you start to see the metal underneath. Like an old Leica. believe it or not, it's a prestige thing in some circles.

3. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    The paint on my GX7 is also wearing off but on the 4 way selector switch on the back, it seems very poor for an expensive camera.

4. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Hey GFF, If I had had the camera for quite a while and had put a lot of miles through it, I'd maybe appreciate the 'patina' of a well used camera. However, it still looks and acts new - except for the shiny metal showing through the black paint.

It's too soon for it to look like a well used veteran. That said, I still like the camera, it's just disappointing to see that wear (or defect) so soon. Received it mid June this year.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hmm, I just took a look at my GX7 to see how it's wearing. I've had it since December/January or so, and took it with me on a trip to the Galapagos this year, as well as on a few other more local winter and summer excursions. It looks good as new, to be honest. That's a shame that your paint is wearing.

In fact, I almost wish mine looked a little bit more worn - I manually filed / ground away an aluminum hot-shoe thumb grip to make it fit the camera better, and now that part looks like it's been through a war by comparison to the rest of it, since I didn't bother repainting the edges.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The metal underneath used to be pretty, e.g., brass. I haven't seen modern cameras wear like that.

7. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Steve,

I remember that brass peeking through the paint (or even the flat chrome) on well used gear. It gave the camera a kind of "authority" and value, didn't it? But, on my almost new GX7, it doesn't fit quite, at least not this soon.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I meant that modern cameras don't look nice when they wear. I do agree that this is way too soon for any kind of paint loss.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its hard to tell on the forums, but any offense or irritation I may have caused was not intended. Sorry about the wearing paint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    GFF, I took no offense at all from your comments. Sorry if my "tone" might have suggested that.

Thanks,

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Have any of you who are seeing this wear used sunscreen lotion on your hands while using the camera? Sunscreen and sun tanning products contain cosmetic esters that are added to accelerate absorption and decrease the greasy feeling. When theses lotions are exposed to UV (sunlight) they can be rather corrosive to some painted finishes. In Europe and Asia they use a substance called squaline, which is derived from sharks or whales. US law prohibits this from being used so the esters are substituted. My friend was a cosmetic chemist for a leading Japanese cosmetic company and tipped me off to this.

12. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Wasabi Bob,

I seldom (as in very seldom) even use hand cream. I do use sunscreen when appropriate, but have not used any when I've used my GX7. But, your suggestion is good to know and heed. Thanks

13. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    No signs of wear on mine. It does spend most of its time in one mode though, so not a dial I tend to shift very often.