Panasonic GX7

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Good point made on price: GX7 is €999 with an EVF, E-P5 is the same without and the VF-4 is an extra €215 and is clunky to say the least. Specs are almost identical, depending on how good the GX7 IBIS is.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yes, it appears to be an "up and comer".

Unfortunately

https://www.mu-43.com/f35/last-camera-you-ll-ever-own-50167/

I'd never get the Princess of the Exchequer to sign off on one, I just bought the E-M5 last year :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    It appears that the hotshoe is placed too close to the EVF. When a flash unit is mounted, the EVF will have little if any room to swivel upwards.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm looking forward to a Kickstarter campaign for a hot-shoe offset bracket.

6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    When you need a flash on-camera, you usually won't have to tilt the view finder. I only use a flash on-camera when I'm covering an event in very low light or very bad light. I'm more in a run and gun situation and will either have the camera straight to my eye or above my head shooting down. There is no way I would be in creative mode with an on-camera flash (shooting low, or waist level, etc).

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well if you have a flash mounted where would your head go if the EVF tilted up?

8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Well, it is obvious that my head would be right on top of the camera.
    I use the Olympus FL-14 and it appears that this tiny flash unit cannot be mounted and allow the EVF to swivel more than a few degrees.

Even with the RF trigger that I currently use, the EVF may be limited to the horizontal position.

Just some limitations that I saw immediately since I still cover some events.

9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    :mad:

Pre-order cancelled.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The GX7 is intriguing. Perhaps this could be my next "last camera"*.

*Expect a new "last camera" to be acquired every 2-3 years.

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Uhmm but there is actually no m43 camera that have a VF that can swivel upwards while there's a flash mounted on it. Or is there?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    LCD still swivels, what application are you using the camera for that this is such a deal breaker? PEN's optional evf swivels but you can't even mount a flash when using it. What other option is there?

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Calm down, guys. I assumed that Liamness was being facetious when I read his post -- it seems obvious that anyone who placed an order for this camera would have first looked at it closely enough to see that the hotshoe abuts to the EVF. No?

14. MoriahMattson

MoriahMattson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    Beizing
    the price of monoprice is not a bad thing to get on........

15. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Has there been any modern camera that could do that?

16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    It does appear that if the hot shoe and built-in flash positions were reversed the viewfinder might be able to pivot up with a flash mounted?

I agree that it's probably an uncommon circumstance where one would use a shoe-mounted flash and the viewfinder tilted up to the vertical position. However, I agree with those who think it would be better if the viewfinder did allow this. This won’t stop me from buying a GX7 if/when it's time.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011

18. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I agree with you, I also considered both of those as possible reasons why.

On a positive note, from what I've seen and read I like the GX7 very much. Maybe it will pull me away from my GX1s in the future.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It does look like a very compelling camera, if real-world performance at least comes very close to the sensors in the current Olys and the GH3.

20. MoriahMattson

MoriahMattson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    Beizing
    not bad at all, its really superb one for us to see. i liked it a lot and its known to be an awesome thing here