Panasonic GX7 with Olympus 12-40mm lens -- what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MacBook, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I cannot find much written about this combination. If you are using it, have all the good things written about the Olympus lens been delivered on the GX7 (or other Panasonic body, for that matter)? I know that the L-Fn button will not function on Panasonic cameras, but I am looking for the IQ, focusing speed, etc.

2. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    Bit pointless buying a non stabilized lens for a Panasonic when Panasonic make an equivalent with stabilization. Even on the GX7, the body stabilization is less good than the lens.

3. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    I'd like to know as well. Looking hard at the GX7 as an upgrade to my EPM1.

4. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I think the GX7 is a fine camera. I have used non-stabilized lenses at 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, and 40-150mm, the first two by Panasonic and the latter two by Olympus.

I am simply curious about experience from those who have used the 12-40mm on the GX7 concerning items such as focus speed and IQ. I don't imagine a problem, but it is always interesting reading people's reports.

5. Lensman

Lensman New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    St. Marys Ontario
    Richard
    The GX7 has image stabilization built into the body.

6. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Yes - I too am interested in this - I'm about to buy either the Olympus 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35. I would like the little bit of extra 5mm and the closer focussing.

But I'm concerned about what might not work - Olympus vs Panasonic.

Is the GX7 in camera stabilisation known to be not as good as the Olympus?

RzzB