Panasonic GX7 vs Olympus EP5 - a quick comparison

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I'll see if I can work something up on Monday or Tuesday. I mostly just do user impressions and don't tend to do a lot of methodical comparisons like that (beyond basic high ISO and the occasional brick wall if someone wants to know about corner sharpness). So I'm not sure how reliable I'll be at it, but it should be pretty straight-forward, so I'll give it a shot.

Any tripod shots would be done with a timer or remote since the point is to isolate it from the human element.

-Ray

Guys, the specific mass of the lens used matters. Different weight lenses will have cause this effect at different shutter speeds and different degrees on different camera bodies. It would be really useful if, in the interest of completeness, you told people what lens you were using for each test. Because of the fact that the propagation of the vibration is likely a resonance frequency, it's entirely possible that, say, the 45mm lens will show this effect on one body, while the 75mm will not, but the 45-175 again WILL show it.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Guys, the specific mass of the lens used matters. Different weight lenses will have cause this effect at different shutter speeds and different degrees on different camera bodies. It would be really useful if, in the interest of completeness, you told people what lens you were using for each test. Because of the fact that the propagation of the vibration is likely a resonance frequency, it's entirely possible that, say, the 45mm lens will show this effect on one body, while the 75mm will not, but the 45-175 again WILL show it.

As noted above, I just used the Olympus 75mm. So perhaps the results would be different with a different lens, but I'm not really interested in becoming a fully accredited test lab, so, like I said, quick and dirty seems to confirm a bit of shock in the same general neighborhood on each camera...

-Ray

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Armando,

I tested the GX7's face detection this morning and it seems to deal with angles just fine. I did a half dozen shots of my wife, all but one from angles. And they were dead sharp except for one that was slightly soft. I don't think the EM5 does any better than this.

The camera does seem to require that you register a face before it will find and follow it though. I'm thinking/hoping I'm wrong about this and that there's a way to get around this, but when I tried to turn face detection on, it wouldn't do anything until I'd registered a face...

-Ray

There's no need to register. Face detection is an AF mode like single vs multi. I tested it on other folks in the local shop, and the face detection rarely came up with faces at angles. Maybe it depends on someone's facial shape!

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
As noted above, I just used the Olympus 75mm. So perhaps the results would be different with a different lens, but I'm not really interested in becoming a fully accredited test lab, so, like I said, quick and dirty seems to confirm a bit of shock in the same general neighborhood on each camera...

-Ray

The only reason I brought it up was that another poster had made the rather broad global statement that there was nothing wrong with any of those shutter speeds on the E-P5 - and I doubted that their testing was anywhere near comprehensive enough to warrant such a sweeping conclusion - a point that at least YOU have pretty much confirmed here with respect to your own analysis. It would have been much more appropriate for that other poster to have taken the stance that you did. I personally do not have either the GX7 nor the EP-5, although I have been seriously considering each one, as well as the E-M1 - and I'm trying to sort through the various experiences of others to try to actually piece together a real world evaluation from the comments of others who DO have one or the other or both. I currently make do with an E-PL5 and a G5, and frankly, I bought the E-PL5 used at a great price to basically tide me over until some consensus emerges between those three cameras and some significant experience base is out there (and maybe the intro prices come down as well).

One thing I find most irritating on this forum and others - and my apologies because this is my own personal bugaboo - is the insistence of many posters to broadly assert that their particular camera of choice is superior to the others that are out there and to aggressively cheerlead for it. The fact is, they are all tools, and the perfect one hasn't been made yet, and the fanb0y commentary (which you Ray are NOT guilty of, BTW) make this sort of evaluation from the experiences of others much more difficult to sort through.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
One thing I find most irritating on this forum and others - and my apologies because this is my own personal bugaboo - is the insistence of many posters to broadly assert that their particular camera of choice is superior to the others that are out there and to aggressively cheerlead for it. The fact is, they are all tools, and the perfect one hasn't been made yet, and the fanb0y commentary (which you Ray are NOT guilty of, BTW) make this sort of evaluation from the experiences of others much more difficult to sort through.

Welcome to human nature! And if you ever find a forum where this is NOT the case, let me know...

And, no, the perfect one hasn't been made yet, and even if it theoretically was possible, what might be perfect for me (a few have come damn close!) wouldn't be for the majority of other shooters. Gotta figure out what you like and then just make it work...

-Ray

Serhan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Both brands have the shutters going up to 1/8000 sec limit and I think that might even increase the mech e-shutter affect. To shoot in daylight eg with 25mm 1.4 w/o nd filters you need iso 100 w/ 1/8000sec. That is a big plus for me eg I don't have to find adapters to match nd filters just to shoot wide open w/ prime lenses in day light.

Both brands should be eventually using e-shutter or at least do what Sony does eg half e-shutter. After customizing the camera, I like the gx7 a lot esp for manual focus shooting, peaking w/ partial focus point enlarged. AF is also very fast so I don't know how much I will use the manual focus. E-shutter is perfect if you are shooting stable objects. You don't hear anything esp w/ newer m43 lenses. E-shutter limits the iso to 3200. Then I tried the mech shutter and it is loud... E-m5 is quiter, don't know e-p5.

I did the same error for face detection as Ray when I was playing with the gx7 menus. Yes, Oly has face detection better implemented as I usually use center point and face detection is always on. However sometimes face detection w/ e-m5 picked the other objects like the shiny silver fork instead of my sister's face:) But usually it worked great esp metering the faces in the dark w/ any angles.

So nothing is perfect, you need to know adv/disadv of each camera/system and work with those:)

yordanrhapsody

Mu-43 Regular
hi everybody, it is about time to upgrade my travel companion e-p2.

I only have three lenses, 14-42 kit (I don't even remember where I put it), pana 20 1.7 (almost always mounted), adapted konica ar 50 1.4

now, I need to choose between e-p5, gx7, em5/1

my wishes: an em-5 with same VF of em-1 and integrated flash ;-D

can someone of you post some shots made in the same conditions from e-p5 and gx7 using on camera jpeg in order to evaluate how they differentiate?

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
GX7 adds the silent electronic shutter to the mix, a first for m43,

Just for the sake accuracy, both the GH3 and G6 offer silent mode with electronic shutter. The GF6 may, also, but I don't remember for sure.

The G6 also offers focus peaking, but the GH3 does not.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Just for the sake accuracy, both the GH3 and G6 offer silent mode with electronic shutter. The GF6 may, also, but I don't remember for sure.

The G6 also offers focus peaking, but the GH3 does not.

The G5 also has the electronic shutter silent mode

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom