1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 vs Olympus E-P5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ntblowz, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Since both are are priced at 999EUR for the body, I wonder which one would you choose?

For me E-P5 is certainly tempting because it is available now, where else G6/GF6 is still hardly seen even though they were announced like months before the E-P5 (as usual with Panasonic logistic). For GX7 I suspect we only see it during thanksgiving time at earliest

Feature wise though GX7 is what I think most of us wanted for the dream M43 machine. E-P5 with optional EVF/no peaking in video/mediocre video codec is a bit of let down to be honest, though 5 axis IBIS is 2nd to non

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    There is still much to figure out.

- confirmation of GH3 quality video (...a HUGE plus if true)
    - 2 axis IBIS how effective is it and does it compliment and compound ever further when used in conduction with panny IOS ?
    - Is that a dial underneath the shutter button ? (...again, that would be a huge plus)
    - unlike the EP5 (auto only), will the GX7 offer full manual control when shooting with wifi ?
    - Sensor ? is it the GH2 multi-aspect sensor or a new multi-aspect sensor ? (that would be massive)

I really dig the fat textured grip...a good solid beefy grip that doesn't require a pinch-hold technique is ideal. The grip, the IBIS,the EVF, tilting LCD and GH3 video are big hits for me....if the sensor is on par with the EP5 with the added bonus of being multi-aspect then for me, it's the GX7 hands down.

3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    The optional EVF, is making me stay with the E-P5. I thought the OMD would be THE perfect camera but the protruding EVF kept annoying me. I don't think I'd ever go back to a camera with a built in EVF.

Oh and the E-P5 design is sexier than the GX7.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Sorry, but how can you make a VS with a camera that its only rumored and is not even real, yet. Nor its going to be for the next 4 or 5 months (as Panasonic is known for not having an fluent distribution of their products)?

but hey, dont forget that new, is "always" better right? or so the companies tells us everytime.

5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    The GX7 looks pretty damn good on paper. Will be interesting to see how the sensor and IBIS compare to the EP5. I'm quite happy with the EP5, not that eager to have an EVF, but would love for Panasonic to pressure Olympus into improving the Wi-Fi capability of the EP5 through firmware updates.

6. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The new Panasonic is still vaporware, but it appears it may have a good set of features.

An integrated evf is very convenient, but I wonder if a built in can match the very impressive vf4.

I love Oly jpegs, and if the ep5 had a decent grip, I'd be shooting one now. I keep hoping someone will come out with an add-on solution.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Olympus. It exists.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Do you need (not want) a new "RF style" camera today? Then the Oly is by far the better choice. ;) Otherwise, it would seem to make sense to at least wait and see what the GX7 really offers, and how it really performs.

Any conclusions based on a rumors and leaks are premature.

9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Earlier this year I purchased a GH3. I was considering an OMD, but after holding the GH3 in my hands sold me on the GH3. The OMD is a very fine camera, but it was just a bit too small for me. I purchased a G3 a while ago without actually holding one. It has very good IQ, but is much too small for me. I was intrigued by the GX7 when it was first announced and recently I had the opportunity to check one out briefly and I was very comfortable with it. I was able to trade some old Canon digital gear I bought 10 years ago and had more than enough to order the GX7. Feature wise it meets all of my needs as a companion camera to my GH3. IS has never been a must have for me. Most of my photographs have been taken with non IS prime lenses, both native u4/3 and adapted film lenses. The two OIS lenses I own are probably the least used. I guess I am a bit "old school" in my technique. I also use a tripod quite a bit (modern tripods are lightweight and collapse to a small size for ease of carrying). I am not saying IS is not a useful tool. I just don't use it much. To clear up something about the GX7 in an earlier post, if an OIS lens is mounted on the GX7, the IBIS is disabled. I read an article on non brand specific image stabilization systems used in cameras. Generally speaking it was stated that OIS is generally more effective for longer lenses and IBIS works best with shorter focal lengths, but that is neither here nor there for this thread. The main point is not to choose a camera on specs alone. Wait until you can check out the cameras in person. Then you can make a better choice. Good luck and good shooting.

Mike

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    When I retired I was given a framed ceramic tile with the same wording but with a slr style camera in the center. It now sits on my computer desk and usually has my coffee cup on it.

12. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I choose the one that is available, especially necessary as my Nikon dSLR gear was stolen :) Hence I've got a E-P5 since early July, slightly later than I wanted, so I got myself a G6 as well to bridge the period in-between...Video is brilliant on the G6 but photo wise it doesn't get me passionate, whilst the E-P5 is the reverse...So I kept both...And evf wise, the G6 is good, however when you switch between the two, it is actually really really poor on the G6...

As such, I hope for potential GX7 buyers that the EVF is better than the G6, and that the photo side of things has a bit more soul to it...Oh and build quality feel, whilst the G6 doesn't fall apart I think, it is way too plasticky and light, with the looks of the GX7 it will have to have a build quality feel to it to match it imo...

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I've already read a couple of real user reports that the GX7's EVF is smaller/less 'nice' than the G5 or G6's EVF.

14. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    These cameras are so advanced now that it's more about form for me. Even if I had the choice now I'd probably go with the E-P5 still mainly because of the optional evf to keep the camera thin and slim while still enjoying the tilt screen, and 5-axis.

I don't know how good the IBS is on the GX7 but from what I've read, it's not as advanced as the 5-axis.

So there you have it for me.
    No protruding evf = smaller, more streamlined + 5-axis

15. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I sincerely hope that is not the case. Then again sometimes when you don't know how good something else is those owners may think it is good enough. I thought that of the g6 evf before I used the vf4.

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I've read others that say the EVF is just fine. The G6 is exemplary, possibly the best EVF in the business right now, but it would seem the GX7 is at least on par with the G5. We'll find out soon enough, when the camera is available for us to try.

17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    As I have both the g6 and the vf4 I cannot possibly agree that the g6 evf is the best EVF in the business. Most definitely not to my eyes. Use them side by side and I'd be surprised anyone preferring the g6 evf over the vf4.

18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Sorry, what I really meant was the best of any of the built-in EVFs. I haven't used the vf4 to compare, but I think the G6 is superior to the OM-D I used to have, and to the G5 and GH3.

19. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    GH3's EVF is let down by the fish bowl experience, at least no more rainbow colour like GH1/2 though.

VF-4 is really big and fluid, unlike Sony or Fuji which is more jumpy and grainy especially in low light, I guess physical space/size really matters