Panasonic GX7 Underexposure

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by L0n3Gr3yW0lf, Sep 6, 2015.

1. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    As I am still learning how to use my new Panasonic GX7 I discovered that after I took any image, no EV changes, after importing it in Lightroom the exposure changes to underexpose by about half a stop darker when I try to open an image in Develop. Is this an issue with Lightroom not reading the exposure correctly or is it the GX7 metering to save highlights and in playback it shows a brighter image ? I find it very strange but not a big concern, at the moment, since the IQ of the sensor is very good, for my needs.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Contrast and color settings can change the histogram a bit. Lightroom does not use the in camera processing settings as you'd see them displayed on the camera LCD. So you can apply a different default settings in lightroom or use a more natural color profile in the GX7.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Thanks ... I use Vivid profile, but I though it applys only on JPEG, not RAW. And even on RAW I see the image getting darker

4. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    It's probably the I.dynamic function.
    I had this problem with this setting on auto.
    It seems the camera knows how much post processing it will do to the jpg and adjusts the exposure accordingly.

My Nikon d5000 had a similar setting, which affected only jpgs but had influence on the metering of the camera.

5. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Yeah I've noticed this too but presumed it was just Lightroom loading the camera's thumbnail image first before accessing the RAW file.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I think it does underexpose, I've noticed that and compensate at exposure time.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    If you have iDynamic set to ON, you might consider setting that to OFF. Most of us who use these Panasonics for motion picture turn i"anything" OFF anyway. Too much "auto" can "monkey" with image characteristics.

And unless you have a specific reason for needing VIVID, I suggest trying NATURAL. I have the GX7 also, as well as a GH4 and a G7. I find I get best results I like on all of them with NATURAL color profile except when CinelikeD or CinelikeV is called for on the GH4 and G7.

I don't have Lightroom, I use PhotoShop Elements and FastStone Image Viewer on SOOC JPEGs while resorting to Panasonic supplied SilkyPix for RAW (I've quit playing Adobe's "upgrade" game for now).

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't know about all of them, but my GX7 absolutely underexposes. Usually 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop. I feel that LR tends to jack the exposure up a little too much in auto, so I don't rely on it. I generally shoot in Manual and use a light meter, which also has shown it to underexpose a bit. Recovering detail in shadow can be a little tricky with it, so I prefer not to allow it to underexpose.

If I shot in A or S modes a lot, I would probably try to program the C1-C3 settings with +1/3 EV.

9. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Thanks for all of your advices guys. I stoped using i.Dynamic Range and I will see how it handles without it for a while. I always used to underexpose my old Panasonic Lumix G1 to save the highlights but I was curious to see how GX7 can handle both highlights and shadows (I do tend to be hard on the shadows when I try to recover them, I use -25 to -50 Blacks to up the contrast even if I +100 Shadows).