1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 - The Most Revolutionary Micro 4/3 Camera to Date?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ever since Panasonic and Olympus introduced the mirrorless interchangeable lens / compact system camera category with the Panasonic G1 and Olympus E-P1, there have been a few key burning questions:

-Why doesn't any system offer both in-body image stabilization and in-lens stabilization?

-Why does a camera with a built-in viewfinder have to look like a DSLR?

-Why does a mirrorless, electronic camera need to always use a mechanical shutter?

Some cameras from some companies have answered some of those questions, but here's a camera that answers them all. To that it adds:

-Articulated EVF without sacrificing onboard flash

-1/8000 second max shutter speed, 1/320th flash sync speed

-Articulated touchscreen rear display

-Improved controls and ergonomics

-Focus peaking, Wifi, and NFC

Beyond that, I'm sure we can count on the new camera to offer Panasonic's customary automatic color fringing correction (also carried over to RAW in Lightroom) and in my opinion, the very best autofocus in the business.

The only questions in my mind are:

1) Is the newly designed Panasonic sensor going to have the dynamic and tonal range of the sensor used in the GH3, E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5, and E-P5?

2) When can I buy one with the matching 20mm lens?

Introducing the Panasonic GX7. If it isn't the most revolutionary MFT camera to date, I'd argue it's definitely the most revolutionary MFT camera since the original G1 and E-P1.

9417134435_8d32e69979_c.

9417134425_f16638c104_c.

9419901332_4b9cf2faee_c.

2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    A bit much of a claim since no RAW files with final firmware have yet been released.

If anything, the 0.3 firmware is indicating very poor jpg quality images...

It's a nicely package and put together product but way way more evolutionary then revoluntary. It's an EP5 with an EVF and probably less capable IBIS.

Its more a converant design then a revolution. The only revolutionary cameras were the RX1 and perhaps even DP2M. Maybe add the D800E to the mix.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I don't think it's revolutionary at all - what I think it IS, is really evolutionarily complete. I don't see anything earth-shattering here. The articulated EVF is certainly nice, but not, IMHO, revolutionary.

What it is, is the first camera from Panasonic to really check all of the right boxes for the serious still-photog. The Olympus OM-D sort of did, except the interoperability issues with the Pansonic 7-14mm and 20mm lenses seemed to me to be the fatal flaw of the OM-D, and kept me from buying it.

4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    :dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:Tell us how you really feel.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This is more than evolutionary considering what it packs in. This is everything and more I was hoping Panasonic would deliver. I was holding off buying an OMD pending what Panasonic delivered and if the picture quality is at least as good as the OMD they delivered in spades. My interest in the Fujis has also diminished the more I learn.

The replacement for my old Minolta CLe has finally arrived.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's really not worth arguing about, but I would suggest that the E-M5 with its integrated EVF, 5-axis IBIS and Sony sensor in a weather-sealed body was at least as "revolutionary" as the GX7. Don't get me wrong, the GX7 looks great, but let's not give in to the hyperbole of the moment.

7. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    So the GX7 can use both IBIS and OIS at the same time?

That IS interesting...

I shoot mostly with manual glass, so prefer the 5-axis Oly IBIS ( say that five times fast ).

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think for me proof will be after the reviews. How good is the sensor. How good is the ibis. How good is the silent shutter. These things will need to be answered first.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't think so. It can use one or the other. Amin was likely saying both options are available. I read that lens IS will take priority over IBIS.

However.. IBIS does not work with video.
    Global electronic shutters have always been a technical problem, we're still bound by iso 200-3200 if we use it on the GX7

And I don't feel they have the best AF in the business. I think they are pretty on par with Olympus, it just depends on what lenses are being paired.

GX7 is looking to be awesome, but revolutionary is too strong a word. the E-M5 fit that, and partly was because m43 finally got a kick ass sensor. I'm really hoping the GX7's sensor can match it. And that it is fully Panasonic's sensor (or maybe co-created with fuji already). It'll keep panasonic and oly pushing forward.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    +1. I remember quite well that last year the E-M5 was considered a "Jesus camera" that basically saved Micro 4/3 from oblivion. It was (and still is) really good. To call the GX7 revolutionary is a bit of an exaggeration, but then again, we have quite a lot of "revolutionary" cameras every year.

11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    For some reason Thomas Kuhn's book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" comes to mind. Time will tell if this is the camera that finally causes the digital photography paradigm to shift from DSLR to mirrorless. I believe the OMD came close but it looked enough like a DSLR to not quite do it.

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Evolutionary or Revolutionary.....depends I think a lot on if you have been the person that for years has wanted an integrated EVF in such a body without having to rely on a massive bulbous detachable EVF, if so, the OMD was close but this is it. Either way, after day one of being released for pre-order the GX7 occupies both 1 and 2 on the Amazon sales/pre-order list....if this continues in any meaningful way over the coming months, Olympus will then have to at the very least consider the possibility of the EP5 as being a lost opportunity, if not an entirely failed strategy. If the EP5 continues to languish very low on the sales volume charts you can bet your bottom dollar that Olympus will integrate an EVF in their next E-P. That outcome would add weight to the suggestion that the GX7 was/is in fact, revolutionary.

The kicker will of course be the sensor, the various press releases by Panasonic seem to indicate that it is a new sensor and they are being quite bullish and confident in declaring meaningful noise and DR improvements even against the GH3....if these claims are essentially accurate, then all those lovely features are in fact paired to a top shelf sensor....in which case Panasonic has hit a home run with this. Whether one buys this camera or not, the increased competition and tech advancement means a win-win for the m43 community.

13. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Ah, this is what a camera should be. I assume this is the GX-2 everyone was hoping for? Actually surprised it's got in-body IS, but very happy for that. Hello GX7, goodbye GH3

14. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I think it looks like a fun camera. While I am a newish OMD owner and won't be replacing it in the near future, I still enjoy seeing the innovations of new products. Regardless of what features and improvements have made it to the market since I purchased my OMD, I know that I still get high quality shots that will be right at home in my photo collection. Certainly an upgrade to the latest and greatest is exciting, but really won't make me a better photographer by any means.

15. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The paradigm shift to mirrorless (if there ever is one) will be when a full frame (well, 35mm at least) sensor, is put in a smallish, light package (think OM-1 size), along with a decent selection of high quality glass. As much as I like the m43 cameras, they do seem to be a transitional series to me.

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I like what I see with this camera, especially with the new 20mm. This combo will be the lightweight, yet capable camera for street shooting as is.

However- Sony has blazed this path already with the Nex and a FF version on the horizon, and Fuji is doing very well with their offerings.

The m4/3 sensor reminds me of the Chevy Smallblock motor- all the possible power and enhancements have been utilized, and there is no longer room for substantial improvements.

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Ah, I love the smell of fresh hyperbole!

Price this to compete with an entry level DSLR like the Nikon D5200...now that would be the revolution.

18. Revolutionary? I don't think so. But it is a very nice evolution, and another highly polished Micro 4/3 camera to add to the current mix.

19. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    My only gripe is that it isn't weathersealed, which makes me want to buy this AND the GH3 or OMD. Shooting in the rain or at the beach is something I would do more often if I had the abilities to. I'd love IBIS but the Olympus menus are so horrendous I stay away from that company as much as possible.

20. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    it's purty...

:horse: