1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kriskerry91, May 18, 2016.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Hi guys,

Is the Panasonic GX7 still worth buying? Or is it far behind the competition now? or is it too old to consider?

I've just purchased one online with the 20mm f1.7 lens, but now i've seen when it was released i'm debating wether it's too old or the £400 I paid for it was too much? (Thats brand new).

Please put my mind at rest!

2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I have a gx7 and an em5ii and use them both when I shoot. To be honest, even though the em5ii is a newer body and one of the best m43 cameras currently available, the gx7 holds up very well. The only things that have me reaching for the em5ii over the gx7 are the superior viewfinder and the quieter shutter sound. In fact, I find that the gx7 has slightly better low light performance. When using auto ISO, it consistently chooses a lower ISO than my em5ii given the exact same lighting conditions. At the same ISO settings, I find the gx7 files to be slightly nicer than my em5ii files.

The gx7 and the 20mm f1.7 are a perfect match. The image quality is fantastic (no distinguishable difference from em5ii) and the handling is amazing. Another thing that may or may not be important to you, I get more compliments from strangers on the aesthetics of my camera with this combination than with any other setup that I have. I think the gx7 still has a ton of life in it and it is a damn fine camera. The only complaints I have are the loud shutter and the relatively small viewfinder.

Enjoy your purchase, you'll find the pictures that come out of the gx7 and 20mm f1.7 will rival just about anything out there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. moonraker

moonraker Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 6, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    £400 seems a bit steep... I have seen them recently for £299 with 20mm or 14-42, can't remember where though... they were that price at a few outlets at the Photo Show. Still an excellent camera (even at that price..)

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think it's still a great body, and the state of the M4/3 art hasn't really moved past it in terms of image quality.

Considering the 20mm/1.7 goes for almost £250 brand new, it's impossible for me to imagine that £150 for a high quality, ergonomic body is a bad deal. It's still got a lot of modern features that the non-M4/3 competition hasn't yet caught up with (or is only just), particularly one of the best touchscreen implementations on the market, and the tilting EVF. I use the silent shutter 90% of the time, so I don't even think of the shutter noise at this point.

The only cons I can think of are the smaller EVF, less effective IBIS, no 4K video, and no weather sealing. For that, you're saving... £500-600? You definitely didn't get a bad deal. And if you think you did, I'm sure you could sell the kit on the spot for at least as much as what you paid for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surfing Monkey

Surfing Monkey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2015
    The GX7 and the 20mm f1.7 is the perfect combination for an everyday camera. You can even put it in your coat pocket. I have the GX7 and recently purchased the GX8 but found myself always go back the the GX7, carry it everywhere because of the much smaller size. For most of the shots, you don't find too much different in image quality. One thing you should consider getting is the extra large eyecup, it might be a hard to find item but it's really helpful if you are shoot in bright light or wearing glasses.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I still use one and I'm kind of torn as to what would be a real upgrade for me. Image quality is up there with best in m4/3. Feature set it outstanding. Performance is outstanding. Size is just right. Images come right out of the camera looking fantastic enough that I often wonder why I need RAW. Honestly the best camera I've ever owned.

GX8 and GX80 are technically upgrades, but both have some drawbacks vs the GX7, too.

7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I love my GX7 and don't plan on upgrading until there's a much more significant bump in image quality, and that probably means both pixel density and low-light/dynamic range, than the newer models offer. The p20/1.7 is the sharpest lens I've ever owned. That's a solid combination for a reasonable price, considering the stand-alone value of the p20. Enjoy it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    No idea on the prices since location matters. But the GX7 is still a fine camera. I'm getting a GX85 shortly but I took a hard look at getting (another) GX7 first. Big reason I didn't? Most of my lenses are on the dual IS support list.

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    No

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have two GX7 bodies and do not plan to replace them anytime soon. I think you will not regret your purchase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frankie Carroll

Frankie Carroll Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2015
    I agree with all the comments above, I LOVE my GX7 and it is by far the most enjoyable camera I have ever used!! Just ordered the Eye cup which I am looking forward to trying out, I briefly thought about upgrading to the GX80/85 but for me the GX7 is very nearly the perfect camera & I think I will hold out for a more significant upgrade from Panasonic before I make the change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    I got my GX7 almost a year ago and I love it. Perfect size, perfect controls, great IQ and good battery life too. I won't be changing this little camera for some time. The only downsides I have found to affect me personally is the High ISO performance, but that was to be expected and I knew that before buying it, compared to APS-C and the shutter shock problems when using the mechanical shutter. While I do use electronic shutter most of the time there are times that mechanical one is the only way to go (very High ISO since e-shutter is limited to 3200 and 1 sec at slowest or when panning and/or fast moving subjects are in the frame).

The GX80/85/GX7 II's new design of shutter is solving 99% of that problem, but not completely it seems, and I hope to see that new design shutter in the future GH5 (hopefully wish IBIS) or GX9. Also the DFD and new IBIS look very like a very nice upgrade. If they will integrate that in a weather sealed body of compact size I might upgrade to that one day.

I bought my GX7 with 400 Euros, body only and almost brand new (only a few hundred shots taken). Considering the price of the 20mm f 1.7 that is not a bad deal at all, even if the GX7 is an older generation now.

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What do you mean "not completely it seems?"

I haven't seen anything remotely resembling shutter shock with the GX85.

14. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    New shutter design aims to reduce shutter shock
    Say goodbye to shutter shock? Let's hope so. For improvements to sharpness and overall image quality, the Panasonic GX85 also sports a new electromagnetic shutter unit, which helps reduce internal vibrations. Shutter shock has long been a source of issues for mirrorless and DSLR cameras, especially when shooting around a slower range of shutter speeds -- and amplified further when shooting with longer and longer lenses.

The Panasonic GX85's all new electromagnetic shutter mechanism utilizes dual solenoids rather than a traditional motor and spring assembly. A spring-actuated shutter mechanism can induce noticeable vibrations upon firing, which could lead to blurry images when photographing at certain shutter speeds. With the dual solenoid design in the Panasonic GX85, the camera is able to control the acceleration and deceleration of the shutter curtains thereby reducing vibrations of the shutter's opening and closing motion. This should allow for sharper images at problematic shutter speeds. Panasonic claims around a 90 percent reduction in shutter shock vibrations compared to a traditional spring-actuated shutter mechanism. And this new shutter design has the added benefit of being much quieter than a traditional one, too, which is excellent when shooting in sound-sensitive environments.

Extracted from here: Panasonic GX85 Review: Now Shooting!

If it's true then that 10% of the remaining possibility of shutter shock must be in such a specific conditions that it must be extremely rare to happen. For my GX7 it happens often enough that I can't use mechanical shutter from 1/60 to 1/125 sec. I would love to have the new mechanical shutter.

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Panasonic is obviously hedging their language, but I think that's more due to the wide variance in conditions that are possible in the field, they don't want people coming back and saying they lied about shutter shock when it could have been due to camera movement, etc. I see the language more as an attempt by Panasonic to keep the overall existence of shock within their cameras to vague language, rather than damage their existing models' sales by saying the shock present in the previous shutter has been cured.

Speculation about shutter shock is useless, and only real world evidence means anything. So far I don't think shock is something I would ever worry about with my GX85.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes, I've only seen mention of it in released statements and not in actual reviews showing it occurring. Though I'm sure there may be situations where it might.

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I wonder what technology Panasonic has in store for the GH5. The GX85 released came with two big innovations in the form of the electromagnetic shutter and video-friendly 5-axis IBIS for 4K. Obviously the EM shutter is limited here to 1/4000s, so I wonder if they'll be able to increase its capabilities to 1/8000s on the GH5 that people are used to, and if that camera will take the plunge with 5-axis IBIS. I think people have a lot of really heady expectations for Panasonic's flagship given the advancements they've made with the GX8 And GX85 in the meantime, not to mention the competition from both generations of the A7S, A7r II, and A6300, all of which have been released after the GH4...!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    Are you unaware of the GX7's electronic shutter? Unless your finger makes a lot of noise pressing the shutter release, I can't imagine any camera having a quieter shutter. And I have neither heard nor read any viable reasoning why not to use the electronic shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Viable reasons to avoid using electronic shutter (at times) :-
    1. Rolling shutter effects causing sometimes severely distorted and blurred images when photographing fast moving subjects
    2. Obvious Banding in certain lighting conditions
    3. Can't use flash
    4. I personally much prefer to have a shutter sound as part of the 'experience' of taking photographs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    it gives the same image quality as the other top models, so it's as good of a buy as any. If it had a bigger viewfinder, I would still have one :)