Panasonic GX7 sharpness setting

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hyt, Mar 27, 2014.

1. hyt

hyt New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My settings, which I find give a similar Olympus jpeg output:

Photo Style - Standard:
    0 contrast
    +3 sharpening
    +3 saturation
    -1 NR

Highlight Shadow:
    +2 Highlight
    -2 Shadow

Your personal preference may vary, but you can give that a try and see how you like it. Enjoy!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I think that's just the way the translators phrase it. My G2 manual says: [+] The picture is sharply defined
    [-] The picture is softly focused.

Why don't you just try the range of settings and see what gives a JPEG you can work with?

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I find the GX7 to be really noisy at -5 NR (at base and high ISO) and I read somewhere at higher ISOs there is still NR in jpeg. Olympus just does a better job at preserving detail in that range. Feel free to try my settings and tweak to your preference. Those are what I settled with after several days of trying different sharpening and NR adjustments. Enjoy!

5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Tried those settings and found the shots saturated and unnatural compared to the how the subject looked to the eye. Dunno what it is about Olympus jpeg fans but I dont get it, if I want to blow out or wow the shot raw manipulation is there, why set the camera to overlblow everything in jpeg? The GX7 has such a natural honest rendition of what it sees especially its white balance and skin tones.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    It is now 2014, in general the idea of Olympus' superior Jpegs (mainly colour) comes from years past. Having used old models from both companies I really DO understand the fans since I am one of them.
    (It has absolutely nothing to do with "blow out", I don't know why you mention such a thing.)
  7. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    First body was GF1, and have looked at many images in here from years past, including threads comparing pana and oly jpegs. As for blow out, sorry I am not a proffesional photographer, I was referring to colours and saturation being blown out, so many pics I see in here look unnnatural as they have had their colours so blown out as to look cartoonish. Plus I dont find greens all that pleasant through early Oly bodies having experienced it. Simply my take, everyone has their own taste and opinion :)