1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 RAW+JPEG Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Duque, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Hello Everyone,

I have a Question about the RAW+JPEG option on the GX7 in regards to Aspect Ratios.

I tried out the different Aspect Ratios in the hope that JPEG would be the set aspect ratio and the RAW file would stay at 4:3, now I saw that just importing the RAW files into Aperture the aspect ratio is 3:2 or 16:9 even in the RAW files.

So now my question, is there a way to get the full 4:3 file back.
    The reason for asking is this, I would like to keep the full 4:3 15.8MP Picture but use 3:2 or maybe even 16:9 as the aspect ratio when making pictures so I see already less on top/bottom so that when I crop the picture for prints or so, I don't end up with chopping the top my my daughters head off.

This happened now a couple of time since I got my GX7, I make a well composed pic of her that looks just perfect when in 4:3 but once I crop or print out in regular photo aspect ratios, well there is just a bit to much gone and it doesn't look so well composed anymore.

I also looked if there is a possibility to show 16:9 or 3:2 guidelines on the display so I already know where to watch out for it.

Or do you have any other idea or tips for me on how to overcome this problem..... or just shoot in 3:2 ??

Thank you and have a great journey into 2014
    Alex

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What are you opening the RAW file with? I can't comment on the GX7 specifically, but the Oly bodies I have/had (E-M5, E-M1) crop the JPG, but not the RAW. Maybe some of the RAW editors 'read' the settings chosen for the camera and pre-apply the crop?

EDIT: just saw you use Aperture. Try DxO (free trial), which doesn't crop my Oly files automatically.

3. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Oh and 1 more question, is it just me being to dumb.

Or is it really not possible to just have the EVF always on + the Display with the Settings Overview ?
    I know I can choose to have one or the other always on, which is nice. I would like to use the EVF for composing and the read LCD with the Quick Settings screen (where the LCD would go into sleep mode after short time and the EVF after a couple of minutes)

Back when I decided for the GX7 I was also considering the E-M5, now I start to wonder (after everybody always saying the Oly menu is to complicated and to much customisation is possible for the average Joe) if the Oly wouldn't have been more for me.
    Or are these settings also not possible with Olympus bodies ?

Is Panasonic usually making firmware updates with new features like grid lines for aspect ratio, or this EVF/LCD setting option ?

Regards
    Alex

4. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Oh darn, now that I just got my Aperture renewed :(
    Ok will give it a try, are there any RAW converters or so, that would do the same job so that I could still use Aperture after the process ?

5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Little of topic, but I just recently acquired DxO for RAW developing and use nowadays Aperture only cataloging JPEGs etc. I found DxO far more easy and faster to use in my workflow, fulfilling my very modest PP needs. I also included Better Rename to my workflow, now I get filenames like this: Copenhagen 2012-07-25 13.51.53 SLT-A55V DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 f4.0 1_50s ISO100_DxO. Makes live easier and helps my memory :) (I've learned during the years in digital world that better to have both the belt and suspenders...)