1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 not triggering FL-600R Flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by neelsd, Feb 24, 2014.

1. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    Just received my GX7, but the camera does not trigger either of my 2 600R flashes.

The camera seems to "recognize" the flash when mounted in the hotshoe (i.e. flash icon appears on the screen". I mimic the settings from MY GH3 to the GX7....auto-TTL settings. On my GH3 the flash fires; on the GX7 the flash does not fire.

Is there a "secret" setting somewhere for the GX7, or do I have a defective unit?

2. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    For the sake of completeness, I'm attaching a picture of my settings.

Attached Files:

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Try the flash mode with the the lighting bolt. If it's like the olympus you need to set that as the flash mode.
    Other mode may decide that there is enough light in the scene and will not fire. This forces the flash to fire so you can do fill flash etc.

Hope it works.

4. Nate Crisman

Nate Crisman Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Across down another two pages down from the menu page your currently on...you need to enable wireless flash mode. (Menu 3/3). Your pic is of menu page 1/3

5. Nate Crisman

Nate Crisman Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    zusajy9u.

Page 2/3 sorry

y8u3y9e2.

Then wireless setup

ta8anesu.

Then adjust the RC mode settings for each flash unit

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I'm going to go with the obvious, and ask: Did you make sure the flash was fully engaged on the pins/pushed in all the way? Sometimes it will be in enough to recognize it is there, but wont get a good enough signal to send.

7. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    Appreciate the feedback folks. I'll respond to each:

@RamblinR: Flash mode is set to "Force Flash On"....and I've tried TTL and manual settings.

@Cruzan80: Yes, flash is fully seated. If I apply more force, I will break the flash shoe.

@Nate Crisman: Yes, I figured that out as well, but it only gets me halfway to a solution. It triggers the flash if the wireless settings are ON. I think it uses one of the other pins (not the center pin) to trigger the flash in wireless mode. I need the camera to trigger the flash via the center pin, because I also need to trigger the flashes using a radio popper. If I try to use the radio-popper while the camera flash settings are set to wireless, it does not trigger the radio transmitter (and it also does not trigger with the flash settings set to manual)

To be clear, what I'm trying to do, works flawlessly on my GH3 & G6. I find it difficult to believe that Panasonic will change the flash operation that much. Anyone out there with the same equipment...can you please give this a try.

8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use the Panasonic DMW-FL360 flash Which is the same as the FL-600R. It works the same on my GH3 and GX7 with the settings you have.

9. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    I returned the camera for a replacement. The replacement camera works as expected. Mystery solved.