1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic gx7 mp4 60p recording time

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CX5, Feb 12, 2014.

1. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    My panasonic gx7 is set to mp4 at 60p to get max video quality. However when I put 8gb card max recording time is 20 min. So I bought 32gb card class 10 so that I can record video for an hour. But the remaining time with 32gb card shows 27 min. What I am I missing.
    Also if you video in dark place once you start the video the LCD screen becomes very dark. How do I fix this issue? Please help. Thanks

2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I'm not so sure about the remaining time, but for the low light shooting... increase the ISO and/or lower shutter speed.

3. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Can anyone assist with my question? Even the manual says 32gb should be able to record more than 2 hours of HFD video. Please assist!

4. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

What is the brand of the card? Also, what you may be experiencing is that the high frame rate eats more space than 24p.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    There is another thread about the recording time. I believe if you look at the advanced manual you will see that continuous recording time is 29 minutes (max video clip length). The total amount of video is dependent on the size of the card. I don't have my manual handy at the moment so I can't confirm the continuous recording time of 29 minutes. I do not shoot more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

6. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

If you have a GX-7 bought within the EU then Panasonic limit the recording time to 29 mins, which I believe is due to cameras and camcorders having different Tax or import duties. I didn't think that this was the case with US bought cameras though.

7. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you so much for all of you who helped me.
    I tried the video and it went all the way to 27 minutes and it stopped. I guess this is max it can go.4
    Thanks again.

8. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    For non-EU models only, of course, AVCHD creates multiple files that span without gaps.

It appears that MP4 has a clip time limit, possibly due to file size limits in the card format and the lack of spanning support in the MP4 format.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55329

Fran

9. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Question, should I record in MP4 for ease of storage without conversion or record in ACCHD instead? Any suggestion will be great with if there is any reason why you would prefer MP4 or AVCHD?

10. Fran Guidry

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    I'm not a camera expert, I'm a beginner struggling to learn. But it is my understanding that the codec or encoding process is the same for both containers at the same bit-rate. So according to the GX7 docs both AVCHD and MP4 capture the same quality when using 1080/p60 but the bit-rate is lower in MP4 when using 1080/p30. This is documented in the table on page 228 of the US pdf manual.

Interestingly, the specs on the US product page: http://www.panasonic.com/us/consumer/cameras-camcorders/compact-system-cameras-ilc/dmc-gx7ks.html show a lower bit-rate for MP4 1080/p60 - ooopsie - I have no idea which spec is accurate.

My take on this is if optimal quality is the goal at p30 AVCHD is the preferred format. And if longer than 29 minute clips at p60 are the goal AVCHD is the required format. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO (really?!?!) software can be used to transfer the AVCHD clips into a single merged spanned file on the computer where the file system supports larger size files. While there were issues with AVCHD a few years ago I think it's common that current generation video editing software will ingest the format without issue, at least on PCs.

Fran

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    A videographer explained to me this way: MP4 is to AVCHD as jpeg is to tiff.

12. Fran Guidry

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    Once again, no expert, but I'm not understanding the JPEG vs TIFF comparison at all. These two are different "codecs" if you will, different compression strategies. MP4 vs AVCHD are containers which encapsulate audio, video, and metadata. The video and audio streams can be encoded/decoded using various codecs at various bit-rates, and in the GX7 at highest 1080/p60 quality both encode the video using the same codec at the same quality level resulting in essentially the same file sizes. The key difference is that AVCHD spans, or creates seamless multi-file captures with time limited only by card size and battery life, while MP4 does not.

Video formats are a lot more dynamic than compressed stills formats, as far as I've noticed. JPEG and TIFF and other non-raw formats seem to have stayed pretty much the same on the stills side. Video compression has evolved pretty rapidly over the last few years that I've been watching. When AVCHD was introduced it brought with it a newly implemented codec and a requirement for processing the spanned files, and many reviewers made this a negative point in their camera reviews. But NLE software has caught up, and MP4 has been extended to use the same codecs so I rarely hear this complaint except from new users who can't find the MTS clips in the AVCHD file structure. (If spanning is not needed, in cases where clips are short and small, it's possible to drag the MTS files out of /PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM and onto the computer drive without using the conversion software.)

Fran

13. Levster

This was shot at 1080/24p AVCHD on my GX-7 with 12-35mm http://vimeo.com/86921266

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/86921266" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/86921266">Hamish doodling</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user19832135">Christopher Levinsohn</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I can't see any difference to footage shot with mp4 or AVCHD, but AVCHD does allow you to shoot in 24p if you're into that sort of thing! A good stabilised lens does make all the difference though.

14. Levster

I use Lightroom to import my Videos from my camera and it's able to strip the video from within all of the folders. Vimeo also supports direct MTS imports, so I don't see much, if any down points to shooting AVCHD. From what I've read the AVCHD codec uses a more advanced codec so for the same bit rate you get better quality. I've tried looking for official references from Panasonic to explain the difference between their mp4 and AVCHD but they don't list anything on their website.