1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 grinding noise sometimes at start up

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by scott2hot, Sep 23, 2015.

1. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Hi Guy n gals
    I am back again...couldn't resist a great priced GX7...works great and takes images like i remember...But sometimes on starting up there is a little more noise / grinding like the sensor moving too much...googled it but cant seem to get any answers....bit worried if i keep it it will fail/get worse over time...shutter count less than 77 which makes me think original person didn't like it too much either...it is warrented by WEX ...but dont want the hassle of sending back premature.
    Regards
    Scott.

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    That's normal. It vibrates to dislodge dust from the sensor at each start up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Thanks for the reply...but had a gx7 before ...dont remember it being that loud...does it only sometimes not every switch on /off

4. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Doesn't the GX7 have a menu option to run the sensor cleaning? Is this the same sound you hear on start-up?

To me, a "grinding" noise would be a concern. If you have access to a camera store, you could compare to another GX7 to see whether start-up sounds different.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I find that I don't always notice the "grind" at power-on, it really depends on my focus and the ambient noise level of the environment I find myself in.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Just played a bit with mine and noticed another thing -- sometimes it's louder because the sensor-shake and lens focus and/or stabilization can combine to make it seem louder. This probably depends on your lens -- right now I have my p14-140II on and both can make quite a racket here in my quiet studio. Out of curiosity I took off the lens and cycled power a few times and find the sound is different each time. At first I thought it was my orientation that affected the vibration pattern, but I suspect the camera might just vary the vibration for more efficient dust removal.

Still doesn't make as much of a racket as the OMD-10's steady stabelization whine. ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Motown!
    This thread is in the 'Hot Deals' forum . . . why? :hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    being hassled by my 7 year old! simple as that ..dont know how it ended up here?

9. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    To everyone who gave constructive advice ..thanks...still seems louder than i remember..by a long way...WEX are pretty good so i will keep it a while...worst case i have to send it back later on...still covered for 12 mth

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

interesting thread.. I accidentally came across it in the Hot Deals thread but it interests me.
    I will Message Amin to see if he can move this to the proper place.

11. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry, my reply doesn't have to do with your main question but 77 seems like a pretty low count. I don't know if it's the same with both brands but Oly bodies usually come out with around the same number out of the factory. Usually Oly bodies have between 45-80+ when I buy them new, the latest Em10 I bought had 120 or so.

The GX7 does have a silent shutter which from what I know, doesn't get counted with the mechanical actuations.

I don't know where I was going with that.... Anyway, I hope you get it sorted if it is in fact some kind of issue.

12. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Does this happen without a lens attached? Does it happen only with a certain lens? I don't notice that kind of sound on my GX7, but I have been noticing it on my GX8 from time to time. It seems to be from unparking the lens in my case and I have only heard it on one lens. But, since it doesn't do it every time and I only have a couple hours on the camera, I don't know yet.

13. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    It happens with or without lenses..i have tried 4 different ones and..it seems when turned on and off a few times...noise minimal , just very noisey when switched on from cold or stood a short while..tried turning off image stabilisation in body and sensor clean at start up/shut down...electronic shutter...but it still happens virtually first time on start up...then ok when switched on/off???? Cant complain on output , exactly as i remember ..very good and super sharp with P14 and P20...as said i dont really want to send back , so i will use it a while ...gets worse or more frequent and back it will go.

14. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Maybe it has arthritis o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1