1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 exposure & focus lock

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iordanisg, Apr 2, 2016.

1. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    Hi all,

new to the forum and to photography in general, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before elsewhere (I checked the Panasonic sub-forum and couldn't find something related).

I recently got a GX7 and while reading the manual, I bumped across the AF/AE lock button. I configured it so that it only locks exposure while I'm pressing the button and then I press the shutter button to focus.

All works as expected, except when I try to use the spot metering mode. I can meter and lock the exposure, but when I press the shutter button in order to focus, the camera meters again, effectively moving the metering spot to my current focus point.

So, my question is if it's possible to effectively meter and focus independently. Also, I'd be really interested in your settings regarding this and you would approach this process.

Thank you in advance,

Iordanis

2. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    Anyone? :)

3. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi,
    I never noticed something like that happening when I use AE/AF lock.
    I'll try to check it out tonight and get back to you.
    Pedro.

4. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    The back button can be set in the menu to either press & lock on the exposure, even when you release your thumb, and re-frame. Or, to hold it down depressed, while you re-frame. How do you have it set?

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I wish I had known that a long time ago. I hate tying up my thumb to hold down that button.

I'll be configuring to press once when I get home tonight.

6. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    I've set it so that it keeps the exposure locked, even if I depress the button.

7. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    To reiterate my question, is it possible to use spot metering and area/pinpoint autofocus in parallel, but on separate spots?

What seems to be happening is that the blue cross (spot metering) moves along with the autofocus area box/pinpoint cross when I touch the screen in order to focus, even though I've locked the exposure before.

8. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi iordanisg
    Sorry, came home very late last night, couldn't check on my camera yet.
    I think Frankgr could be on to something...
    In the menu, there is an option to keep the AF/AE lock, even after you let go of the button, that has has to be "ON" for what I think you are intending to do...
    User Menu-> Keep AF/AE lock
    Have you tried that?
    Anyway, I'll check if it works with mine later tonight

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    Hi pmpup4p3!

Yes, as I said I've set it up so I don't to hold the button to keep the exposure locked. This works fine, until I then try to focus (using the area or pinpoint autofocus modes), which resets the exposure, i.e. the cyan/blue cross of the spot metering moves along with the focus area or the white cross of the pinpoint focus mode.

Maybe I have understood how this is supposed to work incorrectly, but I think that in theory you should be able to meter somewhere and focus somewhere else, right? Or maybe this is no possible when using the spot metering mode - area/pinpoint autofocus combination.

Thank you all for your answers!

10. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi again
    I think you understood correctly, yes.
    I just tried on my gx7 to lock AE (not AF) and then press the shutter pointing somewhere else with extremely more/less light and the exposure was locked, only AF changed... so it works as expected...
    I tried using both multi as well as spot metering, both with face detection, area and spot focus...
    Can't say I can help much else, have you tried different configurations, maybe a reset?

• Like Like x 1
  11. iordanisg

iordanisg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2016
    Berlin
    Hi again!

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

For me, when I use spot metering/pinpoint focus, after I lock the exposure and tap the touchscreen to set the focus point, the metering resets and the spot moves together with the autofocus point.

I'll try the reset tonight, thank for trying this out!