1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 EVF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigal1000, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Does it have diopter correction for the VF,it's a deal breaker for me as I wear glasses,thanks.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes it has a slider underneath. You have to lift it up to adjust.

Although overall I found the EVF a bit too rectangle and smaller than I would've liked.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Monk3y, any thoughts on how it compared to the LVF2 for the GX1?

4. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I had no chance to compare it to the LVF2. The only comparison I was able to do was with the E-M5, Marioc and G6. In my honest opinion, those two cameras have better EVF than the GX7.

5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    That is exactly what I'd like see, an objective review/comments on the GX1's LVF2 compared to the GX7's built-in LVF. This seems a valid comparison since the GX7 is the replacement for the GX1. I love the GX1 and don't mind (actually enjoy) the LVF2 atop the body, it's so very similar to the hot shoe mounted optical viewfinders I've used on rangefinder film cameras in the past, yet better because it pivots 90 degrees.

The GX7’s rectangular viewfinder as noted by Monk3y, and the sliding diopter, are two designs that I've been questioning; are they actually improvements over the LVF2 in typical use?

Surely not needing to buy an additional LVF2 ($$) is a plus for people buying the GX7 body. However, for those of us who already have and like GX1 and LVF2 combination there may be little that attracts, or even a few complaints, compared to our current setup.

6. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    James,

Is this statement correct? The LVF 2 is the same EVF as on the GH2 and G3? I might be able to find some G3 on display.. although mostly the G6 is on display now.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, it is not correct. The EVF in the GX7 is all new, and not the same as the G3. Comparing specs makes that clear.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.

8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks very much.

9. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Sorry I was referring to the LVF2 being the same as those on G3 and GH2.

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Above from meyerweb is what I've read as well. As Panasonic has shared, there are many technological improvements in the GX7's viewfinder.

Monk3y, your quoted information appears old?

User interface and ease of use are my questions regarding comparing a LVF2 on a GX1 and a GX7, not technical. I'm confident Panasonic updated the tech specs as they have stated.

11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Apparently my post was not clear. I just corrected it. I was referring to the LVF2 being the same as those on GH2 and G3.

I never thought the EVF on the GX7 is as old as those. :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I'd have to check, but I think I remember the specifications are similar. Though I know I prefer looking through the LVF2 more than my G3, which I think has to do with the viewfinder's distance from the LCD. Using the LVF2 there is more room for my face, and I rarely find my cheek touching the LCD where it often does when using a G3 or similar dSLR viewfinder.

Also, this space offers room for my glasses, as I have the diopter adjusted for my 'naked' eye. I look over the top of my glasses into the LVF2 if I'm wearing my specs.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    In what way did you find the EM5 EVF better? Also is there frame rate slow down in low light?

14. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I see... while the VF on the GX7 is rectangular it was surprisingly not very difficult to use with glasses. I tried it for a few minutes with glasses on and I think it was okay.

Since the menu is in japanese though I was not able to find if I could increase the brightness or not. It felt quite dark and did not represent the true exposure that the camera was getting.

The first batch of GX7 are starting to arrive and there should be more people who could chime in with their own experience with this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even there, I'm pretty sure the GX7 EVF is a new design, not the same as any prior product from Panasonic.

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, I think i can tell you my experience with it.

The EVF on the GX7 is "so-so" to me (I should point that im an EVF shooter. I dont use LCD screens to shoot (except on my Ricoh GR) so the EVF and flat top is what made me interested in this camera in the first place). Which somehow sucks as what the camera is and targeted to, the EVF is pretty much the MAIN selling point.

I got told by Panasonic that the unit i had was a pre-production GX7. (Note: I had the camera for 3 days and shot with it a little weekend roadtrip last week, on RAW+JPEG, but i cant process the RAW files as just yesterday Adobe came up with the update for Lightroom that supports the GX7 so will see in the next coupe of days.)

The feedback i sent them was that the camera is great, design is awesome, everything is pretty much amazing. Yet the EVF has some quirks that were a bit of a deal breaker to me.

The EVF in itself is small. smaller than the OMD one. And yes it has the 16:9 sort of aspect inside as Panasonic is known for its video quality and for some reason they added a lot if videos features to the camera. Even though they are pointing to a "rangefinder-classic" audience. People with film, leica, fuji backgrounds, right? Even the main promo videos are with Magnum photographers. People that couldn't care less about video, but to get the best of stills.

The EVF has this automatic sensor pretty much like the OMD, EP5, etc, that switches on and off in between the EVF and LCD when you raise the camera to your eye. It works but as like with all the others cameras mentioned its a bit slow to switch on-off, to me.

So i turned off every automatic sensor thing i could. And now you have this Fn button next to the EVF to activate it manually, but even though i managed to shoot through the EVF continuously, it still turns on and off when you get it close to your eye. And it produces a good half a second up to a second lag before it turns on. Then, there is this other option which is an AF sensor inside the EVF that works with your eye when you activate the EVF. And EVERY TIME i pulled the sensor to my eye and waited for half second to turn on, then the AF sensor kicks in and goes back and forth to gain focus, and then, you are ready to shoot. Which at this point is a good 1 or 2 seconds have passed before you get the first frame shot.

Now all that, is terrible for streetshooting. In fact i lost a couple of frames and not street shooting but trying to get a bird standing on a fence. the bird would fly away after those 2 seconds.

I managed to turn off the AF sensor in it as well, and now i only have that half second lag before the EVF turns on everytime i pull the camera to my eye. But for some random reason you cant have it on all the time, it goes off immediately after you pull it an inch or two away from your face. Perhaps this is for saving battery power or something.

Then the diopter sits below the EVF, and sucks, cause every time you pull the EVF up a little bit, or simply tilt it, you always pull the switch under the EVF, and more than once i was shooting with a "blurry" EVF.

I know this is a firmware update away to fix that lag in the EVF but still was some sort of a deal breaker to me. If i want a "rangefinder" camera i NEED (not want, but need) an EVF to be there fully working all the time. And right now its not like that.

Now, this is just one option of the camera, the screen is awesome and its made for all those touchscreen fanatic users, which again, im not. Therefore the menus in the screen are big, which makes sense cause they are made to be touched. The screen is really nice and bright and crisp. but not so much in bright light. My Ricoh GR LCD is brighter under the sun.

So thats about my experience with the GX7 EVF. Hope it helps. And hope Pana releases an update to it. If they do, then it will be an amazing camera to get a hold of.

• Like Like x 7
  17. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    shortening for size.
    Thank you so much for such a great write up on the EVF.
    I am looking at coming back to mu43 and am waiting on the GX7 since I love rangefinder style bodies and - very much like you - absolutely need an EVF on there (which pushes out the EP5).
    However, these reports from various people on the GX7 EVF are making me doubt the wait...
    Would you say its a deal breaker for someone like you and I?

18. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hi please read carefully.I said the LVF2 might be the same GH2 or G3.

I never said anything about the GX7 having the same EVF as those older model. Please read the discussion above. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Biggest difference is the size for me. EM5's EVF is squarer and seems easier to look into. Seems brighter too.

I am not sure if the brightness, contrast, WB of the EVF on the GX7 can be adjusted but it seemed warmer and more contrasty. The menu is in Japanese so I was not able to find it.

When I first held the GX7 it was in Auto mode and there was a lot of lag on the EVF. When I switched it to manual mode there were almost none. Both in store.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    That is GREAT NEWS!. Like i said in my comment above, i used and shot a PRE-PRODUCTION GX7 and i was told that some things might change from the final version. If there is no lag that is brilliant!. And hopefully they add the option to shoot through the evf and review images in the back LCD as well. :2thumbs: