1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 Camera Not Focusing Properly With An Olympus 17mm F1.8 Prime Lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JonathanF, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JonathanF

JonathanF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Great Neck, New York
    I Just Purchased And Configured The New Black Panasonic GX7 Digital Camera With The Kit Lens That It Came With Which Is The Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm II F/3.5 - F5.6 Kit Lens.
    I Understand That When The Panasonic GX7 Camera Detects An Image Stabilized Lens Such As The Panasonic 14-42 II Imaged Stabilized Lens That It Will Automatically Turn Off Its Built In Camera Body Stabilization.
    When The Panaso:confused:nic GX7 Digital Camera Uses Another Lens Such As The Olympus 17mm F/1.8 Non Stabilized Prime Lens Then The Camera Body Will Automatically Use Its Own Built In Body Stabilization.
    When I Attached An Olympus 17mm F1.8 Non Stabilized Prime Lens To The GX7 Camera I Cannot Get The Camera To Properly Focus.
    What Setting Do I Need To Configure So That The Panasonic GX7 Camera Will Properly Focus Correctly And Work Properly With The Olympus 17mm F/1.8 Non Stabilized Prime Lens?
    Thank You.
    Jonathan

2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    What do you mean "not properly"? I wonder there is nothing to do with the IS. But to isolate the possibilities, disable the IS first and try again.

3. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Is your lens' focus ring pulled back by any chance? Seems to be a common mistake among first time users...

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Edit: Agree with above post. Can you see the distance scale on the 17mm f1.8 lens? If so, that forces manual focus. Slide it forward if you want auto focus.

5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I thought he knew that, otherwise he would say "cannot AF", but I might be wrong. :)

6. JonathanF

JonathanF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Great Neck, New York
    I Re-Adjusted The Lens Focus Ring And The Olympus Camera Lens Is Working Perfectly Now.
    Thank You.
    Jonathan

• Like Like x 1
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Please don't shout.

8. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Please explain what you did (re-adjusted the lens focus ring) with the Olympus 45mm and now it works.
    I have the same issue.

I bought the Panasonic GX7 with 20mm/1.7 v2 this week. It seems to work great.
    Today I tried an Olympus 45mm/1.8 but every test shot was soft.
    The seller used an Olympus EP5 and all shots on that body looked sharp.
    Any idea what the issue might be?
    Thanks

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Olympus 17mm 1.8 lens has manual focus ring which can be pulled towards the camera for over riding the auto focus. There's no such feature on the Olympus 45mm or Panasonic 20mm. Have you tried to set the camera to iAuto or other fully automatic shooting mode? Also have you tried the lens on different kind of lighting conditions? Try also to put your auto focus setting to s-af or single auto focus and half press the shutter until the focus is locked before you fully press the shutter release.

10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Shoot without lens mode is for m4/3 adapters and lenses that don't have any electrical contacts to connect with the body. That way the camera will shoot even if it doesn't recognise the lens.

11. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    That's what I thought.

12. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    on A-aperture priority. Half pressed shutter to get focus confirmation -the little square goes solid/green and the green light to right of viewfinder lights.

13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    And you still cannot get sharp focus with the 45mm? Have a try with iA (intelligent auto) mode.