Panasonic GX7 budget flash suggestions please

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by grumps1974, Dec 12, 2015.

1. grumps1974

grumps1974 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015

Having recently bought a Panasonic GX7 I find the onboard flash a little week for my needs. I am looking for something with a bit more range and TTL capabilities (I cannot be fussed with manual settings).

As this will only be used occasionally I don't want to spend a fortune.

Can anyone recommend something suitable please?

2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I picked up a cheap, used, Olympus FL-36R for just such eventualities. This is the flash from the older Olympus four thirds cameras, but it works fine with the micro four thirds cameras. The recharge time is a bit slow (due to it only taking 2 x AA batteries, vs 4 x AA in some of the newer ones) but given how often I use it, that doesn't really bother me.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. grumps1974

grumps1974 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015
    Thanks for this. A new one is more than I want to spend but I will certainly keep my eyes open for a use done.

Any other suggestions?
  4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    The Nissin i40 ! It may be out of budget but it's an awesome little flash and very pocketable.

What budget do you have in mind?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

TTL isn't going to be very cheap... I have a Nissin i40 which I like very much. Lower down in specs and price there are the Nissin Di466 and Metz 36 AF-5 for 4/3 and m4/3, they are both GN36 TTL units with tilt but no swivel function.
  6. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Search for a used Oly FL300.
    More Punch than the builtin Flash.
    Should also be remote triggerable via the builtin!
    And its collapsible to fit into a small bag together with Cam & Lens.
  7. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    You might want to check out the Promaster 7500EDF flash. I don't know how well it compares to the more expensive Olympus or Nissin flashes, but it works for me. It works full TTL with my e-m10.
  8. grumps1974

grumps1974 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have investigated them all but have finally settled on a Nissin Di466 on the recommendation of someone. It seems to fill my needs and won't break the bank.
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You can pick second hand Olympus FL-50 (non-R version) for like $80 or less - TTL and good power.
  10. grumps1974

grumps1974 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015

:) Not many to be had in the UK.