1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 and ZS100 Face Detect+ Center box question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by absolutic, Apr 16, 2016.

1. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Just received a new to me GX7 and I have ZS100 for about a week. I've owned various mirrorless cameras in my time and I have a question about Lumix operations.

On Sony and Olympus mirrorless cameras, I have an option to have center AF + Face recognition operating at the same time which is super convenient. AF is in center, unless there is a face in the frame, then it focuses on a face. If no face, back to center. I've found this AF method works the best for me on mirrorless cameras.

On Fuji cameras it does not exist, it is either Face or other AF choices. You cannot have a combination of above (plus Face Detection cripples other things but that's another topic).

On my Lumix GX7 and ZS100, it seems that focus choices is like Fuji above, not like Sony or Olympus :(. I cannot have face detection + center box. If it is center, then it does not detect faces. If it is in face detect mode, and no face, it goes to your all-area-mode where it picks whatever is closest or what it thinks it should, just not what I want. Am I wrong about it? Do I need to go to Olympus again just to get Center +FD again? Or there is an option which i have not discovered yet?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I own both Olympus and Panasonic. I'm afraid with Panasonic it is either face or auto. You can override and force a specific focus area by touching the screen, but that will disable face detect until you disable the focus override.

• Like Like x 1
  3. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Too bad. Not sure it is a very difficult feature to implement.