1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX7 and Olympus FL300R flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CX5, Feb 28, 2014.

1. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I just bought a brand new Olympus FL330R flash for it's size.
    Can anyone tell me flash exposure difference between built in flash and Olympus fl300R?

This is because if I use my kit lens at 14mm, the flash exposure with Olympusfl300R is about half a stop weaker than built in flash. However, if I use 42mm end, both flash exposure is about the same.

Am I doing something wrong or this is the way it behaves? Please help as I really like the size of fl300r, but if at wide angle produces half stop darker image, I would have to return this.

Thanks

2. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    If you are using it with the wide angle cover, you should have about 1 extra stop of light. Without the wide angle cover, 2 stops. This is just according to the specifications, I don't have the flash.

Are you just using auto flash adjustment?

3. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you. I am not using wide angle cover. What I want to know is why with identical setting and focal length on same subject, flash intensity at 14mm differs, but not at 42mm setting with build in flash and FL300R?

If the subject, setting and everything is same, should the flash brightness be same whether you use build in flash or fl300r at 14mm? If some one can try theirs and let me know will be appreciated.
    Thank you

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    My guess (and that's all it is) is that you are much closer to the 35mm "focus" of the Oly at 42mm. Do you get a hotspot at all at 14mm?

5. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    No, I did try at 14mm and 42mm and there is no hot spot. Could anyone who has Olympus fl300R try at 14mm and take a shot in the evening (inside) and also take a shot with built in flash. Without changing flash compensation, does flash photo taken with fl300r vs. built in flash produce darker photo. (this means weaker flash) or not, please kindly advise. Thank you

6. CX5

CX5 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Could anyone who has GX7 and fl300R advise flash exposure difference at 14mm between 300R and built in flash, Please!