Panasonic GX2 to Have Built-In EVF and In Body Image Stabilization?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 23, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    According to 43 Rumors, the new Panasonic GX camera due in August will have both a tiltable integrated electronic viewfinder as well as in-body image stabilization!

Sounds like a pipe dream, but 43Rumors gives it their highest rumor rating, citing reliable sources.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Even just one of those things would be a great improvement.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The EVF I can see, but IBIS?? That would be a major about-face for Panasonic.

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The IBIS sure would be an about face but only for its micro43 line since Panasonic already has IBIS in other cameras including a 5 axis IBIS in its video camcorders.

The rumor seems to indicate an 18mp sensor...if that is true I wonder if it's some new Sony sensor or something new in-house. It would surprise me if the sensor here would exceed the GH3 sensor but you never know...perhaps it's the current E-M5/GH3 sensor but oversized, ie multi aspect ? That would impress me greatly as I prefer shooting 3:2.

Too many unknowns so its all wild speculation, at the very least though it looks as though it will be a very advanced camera and not merely a cosmetic rehash.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Too bad this rumor didn't come out six months before Oly announced the E-P5.

6. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    My dreammachine: a NEX6 with m4/3rds mount, IBIS and Lumix menu & controls.
    :cool:

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    But, the current PENs don't have a built-in EVF, only the E-M5 does.

8. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    This look very promising. If it have the video capabilities and wifi system of the G6, I will probably get this one.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I can't see how they could fit an oversize sensor in a body that small if it is also going to have IBIS and an EVF. Maybe it's the first of the new type of sensors that Panasonic are rumoured to be developing and they chose to trial it in the GX line rather than the flagship GH3.

10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I did say that if the rumors are true, this might move me over to Panasonic. However, considering all the very significant features it has (lots of checks on my list) - would it be too much to ask for tiltable screen? :biggrin:

11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I hope the IBIS doesn't drive the target MSRP to over $800.
    You can keep it if that's the case.:smile:

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    shhhhh..... do you hear that sound?

That's the sound of Panasonic sucking the money out of my bank account!

Built-in tiltable EVF in the corner sounds SWEEEEEET!

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I may very well do that ... lol

14. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Even if it's designed for 16:9, 3:2, 4:3 and 1:1 to all have the same resolution, the sensor would be almost 10% smaller than a Canon APS-C sensor, much less Sony's (a little more than 10% larger than Canon's.) Considering how small the Sony bodies are, there should still be room for IBIS. I wonder if they'll forgo the built-in flash to make room for the EVF (I know that the patent shows one, but I have my doubts.)

The real question isn't what the initial MSRP is, it's whether this will be the first non-GH Panasonic to hold its value. If so, then a high MSRP is a real (long-term) problem; if not, then it's just a short-term problem.

15. Lav*A

Lav*A Mu-43 Rookie

I can only, if this proves true, say: it's about time!!
    That would be at the moment the only camera that I would consider to upgrade (from E-P2).
    :)

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I remember about a year ago Panasonic filed for a patent on a m43 camera with ibs and an evf. Bye bye omd for me :D.

17. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Aha! Send it to me!! :biggrin:

Good point though. It might drive down OM-D's prices. Hmmm.. choices choices! :)

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    No worries. If you don't like the price, just wait a few months. :wink:

19. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I agree, unfortunately this has the potential for impact akin to the EM5.
    Could be the game changer.

20. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    :smile:
    That program is already built in to my gear roadmap(G5/GX1). I'm just worried that IBIS will put the msrp to $999. And if it follows GH/EM5 suit it may be a year or two before it falls into my strict criteria.

Or I may have to deviate. :biggrin: