1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by krugorg, Oct 19, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    ??????GX1?10?25????? - ????info (need to translate it) seems to indicate that it's similar to the GF1 in size... likely axing the idea of a built in EVF =(

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Huh, I wonder... I was impressed Sony's ability to cram an EVF into their NEX7, which is roughly in the same size ballpark as the GF1. Maybe that means it cannot be top center w/o a hump?

I would love to have an EVF, but I have been surprised how often I leave the house w/o the VF-2 attached on my E-P3. I kind of like the whole modular idea. Now, it it would only have a tilt screen.... :biggrin:

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    hrm, I may have underestimated the size of the NEX7 then. I recall seeing pictures of it being rather large. maybe the grip just threw me off.

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The height and width is supposed to be roughly the same as the E-P3, but like you said, the NEX7 grip (mostly, I think) adds something like 30% more depth overall. Not sure how they did it, but that's what the released specs make it look like.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The 43rumors piece specifically mentions a viewfinder:

"It will have a new sensor, a new design and probably the most intriguing news I got is about a sort of new designed viewfinder (I should receive some details soon)."

Of course, it's still the rumor stage. But it seems a viewfinder is planned - which is a good thing because I can't imagine any kind of a "pro" level replacement for the GF1 that wouldn't have one. Wouldn't it be great if it topped the Fuji X100 in this department?

I wonder how much this new Panasonic camera will cost. For some reason, I suspect it will be in the NEX-7's neighborhood, which is mid-line DSLR territory.

7. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    The NEX-7 viewfinder incorporates an OLED display. One of OLED's virtues is that it is thinner than LCD, since it doesn't need a separate backlight. Switching to OLED probably improves the packaging options a lot.

8. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I don't think that it'll be the GF1 successor that everyone's wanting; why don't people regard the G3 as that? Because they don't look or sound similar?

The name GX1 suggests a new line up suited for their X lenses. The 14-42 pancake, 45-175, and 12-35, 35-100 are clearly targeted at different audiences.

I HOPE that it'll be an enthusiast/pro camera, but looking at the features that everyone's asking for, the G3 satisfies ALL of them. If they put the G3 into a rangefinder style body, well why would they do that?

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's been said elsewhere, but I'll keep repeating it until Panasonic hears me. If they put the G3 in a gf1 body, I would buy it.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    unfortunately, that could just mean a new LVF1. Something to match oly's big bolt on EVF.

Yes and no. The GF1 embodied that rangefinder style people wanted. A compact box basicaly. The G3 is not it. The hump really does make it quite different. I still need to rearrange my bag because I can't just slide the camera into the GF1 slot I had. Not to mention they took away buttons, so a lot of folks consider the G3 too dumbed down.

11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    That seems to be Panasonic's move right now. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't continue that trend with this X1 camera.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If we're to believe the "X" series panasonic has attached to their products is "more pro" then we'd wager a "X" camera would be geared toward photographers. I guess when it's announced, we'll get a clearer picture of how "pro" "X" really is.

13. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    not only did they take away buttons on the G3, they made the existing ones smaller! i was falling for the G3 until i actually held one...

14. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    An auto extending/retracting zoom lens doesn't seem very "Pro" to me. This whole pro thing cracks me up. There are no Pro m43 cameras. They are low end to almost enthusiast.

I'd like to see this next X camera to be a GF1 with the addition of an EVF. Time will tell I guess. I was going to get a G3, but at this point I'm going to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Since my EP3 hasn't gotten here yet and I haven't put any money into it yet... maybe I'll wait a little and see what Panasonic has to offer with this first.

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'll reserve judgement on that when the 12-35 and 35-100 specs are released. But they are also catering to the video crowd, where that power zoom is a nice touch.

Though, "Pro" certainly isn't likely the right word. In fact, is that even panasonic's wording, or do they just say higher end?

17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If Panny doesn't get it right, I'll just keep shooting my first generation m4/3 cameras until Oly brings out their Pen Pro (maybe a year from now).

They still take great photos. Actually, maybe I should send them both thank you notes for releasing the camera I want. My bank account is happier.

18. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Yup that's my view too. I want the G3 in a GF1-like body.

But if the GX1 doesn't come with a swivel screen and is a lot heavier as speculated on DP, then I'll have to live with the hump of the G3.

19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I couldn't care less about the articulating screen TBH. It's nice to have, no doubt. But I'd give it up in a heartbeat for a capacative and higher res touchscreen. It's sad when I hand my camera over to folks and they try to scroll through the pics. Pushing down and swiping is not intuitive these days.

20. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA

Swivel LCD would be nice to have but it's in no way a deal breaker.