Panasonic GX1 Wide lens options

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm very new in the whole camera scene and got myself a GX1.

The main thing i need the wide angle lens for is fishing photography and also to do some landscape shots when i'm away on fishing trips.

I know there are the two current options of the panasonic 7-14 and the Olympus 9 - 18 but i really need something that can use a good CPL Filter (which the panasonic cant) and was hoping for something a bit wider and a higher F stop than F4.0 (hopefully in the 2's) as for the fishing photos i really like the shallow depth of field and a fast lens.

If there are any other branded lens's that will fit the camera that would be great.

Thanks, Michael

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
You have pretty much summed it up Michael unless you go for a fisheye (but these won't take filters. I had a 7-14 but sold it for a cheaper 9-18. Also have a Samyang 7.5mm fish eye. They are all special purpose lenses.

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
Yehh i've been doing heaps of research on it but i stumbled across this forum last night and its awesome! thought i'd give it a try on here as i learned about the adapters and things like that.

The fisheye lens dont really give me the effect i'm after as it will round the fish and can throw the image off a bit.

The panasonic would be perfect but its only the filter that puts me off.

T

TDP

- A few people have fab'ed up a square filter holder for the 7-14. Do a search here or online and you will see their DIY efforts.

- Due to the way a m43 meters (from what I understand), a regular polarizer will work just fine. They cost less than circular polarizers.

- If you are shooting landscapes, a polarizer on an ultra wide angle lens will screw up the sky. A graduated ND may be a better option and they cost less than a polarizer of either type.

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
HI TDP, Ive seen a few of the DIY filter holders available but its then at the stage where i got to buy it then muck around trying to get it to work. Wont be best for travelling i think but at least i do have the option there. T

the polarized filters are more so for the fishing pictures rather than anything else where on the water it really does help give the sky/water a better look. and the wider the better because sometimes you dont have a lot of room to move on the boats so to fit all the fish in.

my mates got the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens - where i've found the 16mm was a good width and with the f2.8 it really does give a nice depth of field.

at the moment i am using the 20mm 1.7 lens for things with the CPL filter, but its just not the same - i do want the ND filters but i cant find anything that will fit this lens for it.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
my mates got the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens - where i've found the 16mm was a good width and with the f2.8 it really does give a nice depth of field.

Is your mate using that on an APS-C sensor DSLR or a full frame sensor one? If it's the former, then the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 will give you the same FOV at the wide end as the Canon 16-35mm. It will have a little deeper DOF - approximately 25% deeper - but it still may be shallow enough.

If it's a FF sensor, then the 7-14mm and 9-18mm will give you basically the same FOV at the wide end, but you won't be able to get nearly as narrow DOF (even if they were f/2.8 max, which they definitely are not, the DOF would be twice as deep on :43:.)

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
Yea my mates is a full frame so about 8mm in comparison of 4/3 lens.
Also with the depth of field, does that mean the depth of field is deeper at the same aperture because its a 4/3 lens?

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yea my mates is a full frame so about 8mm in comparison of 4/3 lens.
Also with the depth of field, does that mean the depth of field is deeper at the same aperture because its a 4/3 lens?

Loosely speaking, crop factor multiplies field of view and depth of field, but not brightness (it's just as "fast".) So, if they actually made an 8-17.5mm f/2.8 for :43:, the FOV and brightness would be the same as the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8, but the DOF would be twice as deep. This has disadvantages in some types of photography (needing whisper-thin DOF), but advantages in others (need fast shutter, but also want to have a deeper DOF.)

T

TDP

If you want out of the box filter ability and ultra wide but not fish, the only option is an Olympus 9-18.

I have the 7-14 for my EM5 and the 16-35 for my FF Canon. To compare them:

MFD of 16-35 is closer
Flare on the 7-14 is worse
FOV is about the same
7-14 is f4.0 across the zoom, 16-35 is f2.8
7-14 is smaller, lighter and cost much less (of course)

The Olympus is almost as wide as the 7-14, weighs less, costs less, takes filters and has a variable aperture across the zoom range.

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok great. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
So basically the Panasonic and the Olympus at f4.0 will have very deep depth of field not really creating that much bokeh unless ur very close to the subject

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
TDP said:
If you want out of the box filter ability and ultra wide but not fish, the only option is an Olympus 9-18.

I have the 7-14 for my EM5 and the 16-35 for my FF Canon. To compare them:

MFD of 16-35 is closer
Flare on the 7-14 is worse
FOV is about the same
7-14 is f4.0 across the zoom, 16-35 is f2.8
7-14 is smaller, lighter and cost much less (of course)

The Olympus is almost as wide as the 7-14, weighs less, costs less, takes filters and has a variable aperture across the zoom range.

Thanks tdp. If that's the case do I have any options with other lenses with adapters (even though I'm in the wrong section)

LeeOsenton

Mu-43 Button Clicker
Real Name
Lee Osenton
From 4/3rds Mount (you will need an adapter but it will autofocus and provide exposure info to your camera): Olympus 11-22mm f/2.8 - 3.5 I have only heard nice things about this lens, but it is for 4/3rds so it will be a bit large.

Native Micro 4/3rds: These may not be wide enough for you but... The new Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 (expensive) or the Olympus 12mm f/2 (not cheap but it seems cheap sitting next to the P12-35mm).

Lee

msammut

Mu-43 Rookie
HI Lee,

yea the 12mm isnt really wide enough like you were saying.

I was having a look at the other 4/3 mounts that are available, the 7 - 14 seems as tho it has a built in lens hood like the panasonic,

the 11mm looks like a nice lens but it would be similar to put a wide conversion onto my 14mm lens to bring it down to 11 with a higher fstop of 2.5.

looks as though my options are to go with the 9 - 18 Olympus or making a filter holder for the Panasonic lens. :(

Latest threads

Top Bottom