Panasonic GX1 to be Announced November 8?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    According to the Japanese site, Digicame-Info, Panasonic will be announcing a new camera, the GX1, on November 8 with the following details and specifications:
    • Appearance and size similar to GF1
    • Lumix G X 14-42mm (pancake) kit lens
    • No built in EVF
    • G3 sensor
    • Fast AF
    • 920k dot touch sensitive LCD (non-articulated)
    • Additional Fn buttons
    • 1,440k dot external EVF (LVF-2)

Our sources confirmed that there is no soon-to-be announced "rangefinder-styled" camera with integrated EVF coming from Panasonic.

Sounds as if those wanting a Micro 4/3 version of the NEX-7 may be disappointed, while those waiting for a "true GF1 successor" may find one in the GX1.

Source: Digicame-Info (Google translation)

Digicame-Info has an excellent track record with rumors, and all the information above seems likely to be true.

Rumor Grade: A-

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 3
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am interested to see if they improve performance of the G3 sensor with the new image processor or other tweaks.
  3. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Hmm, I wonder whether the LFV-2 will work on the GF2?

And I wonder how much this beast will cost!!
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    You know, I've been saying "true" successor without realizing I wanted an evolved GF1, not a successor.

Anyway, I'll take it still (not to buy, but, just to get to market) =)

Given there's no mention of capacative, I will be severely disappointed if it's just another resistive touchscreen =( Also... pricing, that 14-42x really hurts =(
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    According to the Digi-came site, the price for the camera and 14-42 kit lens is 90K+ yen (~$1,200).

Additional info from the site:

New processor to go with the G3 sensor.
    "Luxurious design" that mimics the LC1.
    Available in silver and black.
    Maximum ISO of 12.8K.
  6. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hmm, i may need to wait for this one. I'm saving up for an Olympus EP3 but this sounds like it would work nicely too. Hopefully it has dedicated dials.
  7. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Wonder if the price will be ~EP3.
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    No built in EVF?? Well, hopefully Pany's new EVF will be at least as good as the VF2. Hopefully smaller.
  9. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The attributed source identifies the E-P3 and NEX-5N as targeted rivals, so presumably so.
  10. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Phew this is a HUGE relief!!! Thanks Amin.

The rumours of an improved inbuilt EVF (bettering the G3 one) had me keen, but as these rumours dissipated I wavered. It had me holding out for the GFx, but I got impatient and went down the EP3 road. Seeing some of those specs I'm now happy with my choice - esp. with the VF2 on-board.

Now whether I should have held out for the new Fuji X-ILC is another matter...and beyond the scope and mandate of this forum of course :blush:
  11. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I've seen several people want this stuff in a GF1 'successor':
    ~GF1 size
    Built in EVF
    Better sensor
    Articulated screen

Does anyone not see the G3? If they were to do any of those in a GF1 style body, they'd destroy the sales of the G3.

I'm personally not really interested in the new camera unless it comes with a significant performance increase.
  12. Willabeast

Willabeast Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    if it had a built in EVF I'd be interested but without that I'll hang onto my GF1.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    I just bought a new G3, but I am extremely interested to see if the new EVF is much better than the old one and if it will fit on the GF-1. That would make my GF-1 just about perfect for the stuff I shoot.
  14. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    I agree if the new EVF works on the GF1 it will be amazing as I find the AF on the former quite adequate.
  15. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    From what I've read around the 'net there may well be a goodly number of us more excited about the new EVF than the new camera :smile:

I do hope the GX1 is a success for Panasonic as that's a win-win for us all.
  16. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Glad I pulled the trigger on the E-P3 as well. I was hoping that Panasonic or Olympus would announce a m4/3 camera that basically competes head-to-head with the NEX-7 but the new GX1 looks like a G3 in GF clothing ... without a built-in viewfinder.

No thanks.
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If Panasonic had only styled the G3 a bit differently (no hump), it would have been a huge hit!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    I agree, Amin. While I am not a huge fan of the way the camera looks, I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy using the camera. The build quality was better than I anticipated. I actually went to a camera store and tried out the G3 and the Olympus E-P3, and chose the G3 mostly because of the way it felt and I was comfortable with the menu system, which is much like the GF-1.
  19. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Sounds a lot like a G3 without the EVF. The mention of "extra Fn buttons" says less controls like what they did with the G3.
  20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Great another GFSXL1 thread. Why don't all the threads get merged? Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App