1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX1 Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Panasonic has officially announced the GX1, a camera geared at the enthusiast segment as a replacement for the GF1.
    41-eirqosVL._SL500_AA300_.
    DPreview interview of Darin Pepple, Sr. Product Manager for Imaging at Panasonic:

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/AOHkqKJX_ZQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Previews:

Body only pricing will be ~$700, and the GX1 will be offered with the current 14-42mm (G3 kit lens) for ~$800 or the Power Zoom (pancake) 14-42mm lens for ~$950. Availability expected around mid-December.

Pre-orders:
    • <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00604YTFM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B00604YTFM">GX1 Black Body Only at Amazon</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mu43-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00604YTFM&camp=217145&creative=399373" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
      [*]<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00604YTGG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mu43-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B00604YTGG">GX1 Silver Body Only at Amazon</a>[img]http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=mu43-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00604YTGG&camp=217145&creative=399373" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
      [/LIST]

For comprehensive coverage of the GX1, visit [URL="http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2011/11/panasonic-gx1.html"]1001 Noisy Cameras[/URL]

• Like Like x 1
  2. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    $699.99 body only on Amazon. Damn, that's what I suspected (pricing in line with the Olympus EP3).

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    a little hurt on the pricing for body only. Figured it'd be the same as the G3 as it's viewfinderless. I do like that it shares a battery with the G3. Any word on if the screen is resistive or capacitative? I don't seem to see it mentioned anywhere.

And THANK YOU for finally adding the trivial orientation sensor.. sheesh.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I am in full agreement with Linh. Maybe I'm missing some features or something, but it seems like the G3 offers the viewfinder AND a tilting screen for less money. Am I incorrect in considering it virtually the same camera other than those 2 added expenses that they have removed?:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Though a very sharp camera, it should've come out last year.

With no EVF and minimal changes over the G3, this camera isn't worth $100 more with the same kit lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    They are betting on all the "finally a proper GF1 replacement!" hype.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I prefer it's looks to the G3, but if it's the same camera with less features (and 2 REALLY desirable ones at that), I'll just wait until they get it right. My gf1 still takes great photos (if someone else uses it).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I agree this would have been a nice successor to the GF1 - last year.

We now have the Sony and Nikon mirrorless models with built-in viewfinders and with Sony a tilt-able screen. If I cannot have a viewfinder I must have an articulated screen like the G3. Even if it makes it a little bigger. Heck, I use that feature even more that I use the viewfinder on my G1.

Cheap person that I am I will now wait for the "G4", and get a G3 on sale.

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I will say that their product manager was a tad uninspiring. He may have recently transferred over from the small kitchen appliances product group.

I get what people are saying on pricing - why more than the G3 when it is dropping the EVF and the tilt display (and I was really hoping for that one)? But... pricing is in line with Olympus and in comparison to the G3, improved build quality (all metal pieces, body) could offset a lot of the component cost reduction from not having the EVF. And, the display, though not tilting, could be of higher quality/cost, even though it is stationary.

I still think it is a nice looking GF1 upgrade option and I wish Olympus would also offer a body-only kit option.

10. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    Maybe the price explains why the Panasonic Direct Store was selling the GF3 with the X14-42 lens for $599. I am waiting for word of shipment of my order for that.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Looks like the touch LCD is the same one used in all other Pany's.

BUT, it also appears that the user can assign just about ANY function to the FN buttons now! Woohoo!

That being said, if the Oly EP3 had the 16mp sensor in it (perhaps on the EP4), I'd lean towards the EP3, because of the form factor, OLED capacitative touch LCD, and IBIS. But the rattle sound when used in combination with the PL25 would continue to annoy the heck out of me!

13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am with you on that one, man! It is pretty annoying that my E-P3 has these nice programmable buttons, but the function I want there always seems to not be an option. I don't understand why they are restricted and different options for each button? Weird. :confused:

14. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    Really interesting interview about the camera and Panasonic's overall direction with the G line here: Panasonic GX1 Interview | PhotographyBLOG

It gives some insight in to why they built the camera like they did, and states that they intend for this camera to go toe-to-toe with the NEX-5n, not the NEX-7. They do state that they are interested in making a NEX-7 competitor later, if the tech is there.

My guess is that the price is where it is due to the build quality (which, by all reports, is excellent) and to establish it as a "premium" item. It is competitive with the E-P3 and is similar, if I remember right, to the introductory price of the GF-1.

If price and time frame weren't an issue on my recent camera purchase, this would be at the top of my list.

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, and their logic is quite valid. But, nonetheless, I'll probably skip the GX1. I think the G3 and E-PM1 will hold me quite well for a while. In another year, the NEX-7 competitor may be out and I may decide by then if I'm going to keep my Pentax DSLR kit. And even if I keep the Pentax, the price of the GX1 will have fallen by then.

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm glad they addressed the LCD... it's a bit baffling that they haven't upped the resolution on it yet. And just make it capacitive. It also seems to me that they just don't have the tech to do a built in compact VF anytime soon =/ Though, I hope they can at least match the quality of Sony's for the "GH3/G4"

17. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    The GX1 and E-P3 prices are not in line!

The prices of the two cameras with the 14-42 kit lens are the GX1 $799 and the E-P3 $899, so the GX1 costs $100 less. The GX1 has the G3's new 16mp sensor, while the E-P3 has an obsolete three year old sensor, so the GX1 is a better deal. But the G3 discounts to $614.33 with the kit lens, a new 16mp sensor, and a built-in EVF, making it the best buy of the three.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Geez, for that price you could buy a Pentax Q :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    AND the Pentax is pocketable:wink:

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The next model in the Pentax Q line will be the Pentax Q-T... and it'll come in Nikon 1 pink. :D