1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX1 and Olympus 75mm noise in video mode on continous AF.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Johnytuono, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    HI
    I was testing my new lens out shooting some video and had the focus in video mode on continuous AF and when playing the video back I can hear a constant rattle, it obviously goes when I turn this option off. The sound is heard when it has to refocus, so if anyone with the same combination could try this out for me, or someone offer an explanation, it would set my mind at ease.
    Thanks
    John
    Edit: Forgot to add..I took it back to the shop a day later and the other copy they had did exactly the same (they reckoned it was because it being an olmpus lens on a Panny body). Also it made the noise on a G6. My 14mm though is as quiet as a mouse.

2. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
  3. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    HI
    Yes but a bit quieter......and i thought the same as you...it renders Af tracking useless. I've emailed olympus for an answer. Also I can actually hear it when I put my ear near the camera.
    John

4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^^ Oh, no. This issue on the 75 1.8 now too?!? Im wondering if this issue is there from the get go with the Oly lenses with CAF and no one noticed until recently or it develops after a while of using the lens?....

5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Mine was brand new from a reputable UK store.....and the one they wanted to replace it with did the same. It might not do it on the E-M5. Anyway, Olympus got back to me saying it was normal??...and they came up with 2 suggestions.....turn the microphone off (which you can't on a GX1).....or use an external microphone (which you can't on a GX1). To be honest they gave me the impression it's not a serious fault, but personally, especially if you video quite a bit, I think it is a big deal.
    John

6. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    If you do a lot of video you should consider upgrading to either the G6 or GH3. I have a GX1 and would use it for video only if I didn't have one of my GH3's with me. The GX1 has no provision for manual settings in video mode and you wind up in full auto only, plus the video IQ has been improved due to higher bitrates in the G6 and even better in the GH3.

Just some thoughts...May be worth exactly what you just paid for them.