Panasonic GWC1 WA adapter on the panasonic 14mm - a review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by D7k1, Aug 18, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I bought my EP5 to have a small travel kit, and as a part of that I bought two small primes and the 40-150mm. When in cities I often used my Nikkor 12-24 which I've found to be a very fine lens. I was considering the 7.5mm FE or the Oly 12mm, but my travel kit size has to be limited and it ruled out both of the those options. I've found a few photographers on the web that seemed to make the 14/GWC1 combination work well. The price recently dropped to $119 US so I thought I'd give it a try. First, this combination has significant fringing and aberration in bright back light situations, but it is a single click fix most times in LR or ACR. I got it Saturday and did a test shoot downtown yesterday. I was very please and imaged 2.8/5.6/8 of each of the images. Not much difference actually. When viewed FF, they are sharp with just a very slight fall off at the extreme corners - my 14mm appears to be a "good" copy from what I've seen from it. Here are some samples from the GWC1/14mm combo, feel free to post your images in this thread as a resource. I will add videos later as this lens combination works very well as a video lens.

#1 - The City
    [​IMG]

#2 - The Stairway
    [​IMG]

#3 The Former Mayor
    [​IMG]

#4 - The Museum
    [​IMG]

#5 - Construction (strong back lighting)
    [​IMG]

I spent about 3 hours imaging both stills and video with the combination and then after processing them in ACR (I use a EP5 preset that includes the remove aberration in lens correction), I pixel peeped on my 24" screen and I found the images to be good enough for microstock submissions and prints at least 13 x 19 if not 16 X 20 - large enough for me. The small weight and size of this adapter makes it perfect for my purposes, and I think the quality is such that even if m43 were my only system I'd be hard pressed not to have one in my kit. A bonus (which I will try later) is that it comes with both 37/46 adapters which means I can try it at 14mm on my 12-42 IIR lens. This along with the MCON1 give my travel kit a great versatility for very little weight and space. If you have a 14mm and like its performance, I can say IMHO that you will really like what this adapter does for the 14mm if you need really wide and don't want FE.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    There was a time last year that the Panasonic GWC1 adapter was not available anywhere. At that time, I started to search for alternatives, and came across some posts on DPReview stating that the Sony VCL-ECU1 adapter happened to fit and work well on the Panasonic 14mm. I got that, and I have been pretty happy with it - it's even slightly wider than the Panasonic adapter, as it's a 0.75x converter, rather than 0.8x, meaning it gives you a 10.5mm lens, rather than an 11.2mm. I also found an extremely cheap alternative in the FujiFilm WL-FXE01, which can presently bought from Buydig.com/Beach Camera for the ridiculous price of $12 including shipping. My tests have shown that the Sony converter + the 14mm is slightly sharper than the Fuji + 14mm adapter, and from what I've seen, it appears to me that the Sony VCL-ECU1 converter and the Panasonic CWC1 Wide Angle converter are about equal in quality, with the Fuji also being OK, but not quite as good - but, again, dirt cheap at $12, as the Sony and Panasonic converters both tend to sell for over $100 (although I got my Sony converter for $50 when Amazon GearShop was running a $50 coupon for filling out your Gear list on DPReview). I strongly encourage anyone who wants a cost-effective wider lens than the Panasonic 14mm by itself, to buy and use one of these 3 wide converters with that lens. I found the combo so useful that I sold my costly 7-14mm lens (for slightly more than I paid for it). The thread below shows some of the analysis I did.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=67596

• Like Like x 2
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Doug - yours is a good thread and great idea to link to it here. Hopefully, we can get a few others to post "real" life images and have a resource here for those looking for a cost effect non-FE option for m43.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.