Panasonic GM1 "wildlife setup" with 100-300mm

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Geemone, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Hi

my name is Tom and I'm new to this forum.
    I'm from Germany and have been an enthusiastic Micro 4/3 user for several years.

But I do have to admit that I recently switched to the Fuji X system for several reasons.

However, having done a great deal of wildlife photography (esp. birds) with the fabulous Panasonic 100-300mm on my old GH2, I wanted to stick to this lens since the Fuji X system isn't really meant to be used for some fast action shots and long lenses.

Therefore I recently got me a used GM1 body to replace my GH2 in order to keep things lightweight and compact.

As some of you might think now, due to its size and the lack of an EVF the GM1 is not the right body for such a task, I would like to prove you wrong:

P1000665f.

To find out more about this, why don't you just have a look at my blog, so I don't have to write everything again here:

http://toms-photography-blog.blogspot.de/2014/08/couldnt-resist.html

Please feel free to browse around my blog to find some other posts that might interest you. I'd also appreciate it, if you could leave a comment if you may... :smile:

Thanks. Tom

• Like Like x 10
  2. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Ha ha ha, that's AWESOME. My gm1 came in the mail yesterday and the first thing I did with it was take it to a Phillies game and put a big honking zoom on it......

Love it!

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, you can dig a ditch with a teaspoon, but that is not the purpose of a teaspoon.

What your nicely-constructed assembly has done is to destroy the one main virtue of the GM1, which is its compactness. So I would say you have proved your point that a GM1 can be adapted to wildlife photography, but I would also observe that the fact you have done it does not support an argument that the GM1 is the "right body" for the task.

Such a bulky assembly would not work for me at all, shooting wildlife primarily while traveling. But hey, you had fun and it works for you.

4. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Oh no, I didn't say the GM1 was made for that, simply wanted to show, that it CAN be used for that...
    And even id it looks bulky, it really isn't. Taken apart, the pieces fit easily in a small bag or even a coat.

But you're right, I have fun with it and it works for me.

And even if this is not for everyone, I have read many times, that people were concerned about mounting such a "big" lens on a tiny GM1 body and mounting the body directly to a tripod or other kind of support. With my solution I show how a simple quick release can be used to support a lens like this.
    So maybe others can catch up with that idea for their purposes... :smile:

5. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Didn't you read the post in my blog...?

The brand is "Kamerar", the hood is called QV-1. Got it from Amazon for around $50.00 . It even has an adjustable diopter.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha awesome! So basically the GM1 is being used like a digital back for the lens.

It kind of looks like a weapon... barrel, pistol grip, shoulder stock.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As long as you're sure it's in there. :smile: I've used the older Panasonic 45-200 on an E-PM1 with the VF2. It looked weird but it was very effective and lighter is lighter.

8. Viktor1135

Viktor1135 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2014
    London
    I had to look at that twice before I spotted the GM1 and I own one...

How much lighter is your set-up using the GM1 compared to the GH2?

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Isn't that what every digital camera is? ;-)

Interestingly, there was a gentleman who had a rifle mount for his camera and was walking around Edwards Gardens in Toronto taking flower photos with his rig. He got stopped twice by security to check his gear out. Thankfully, he was a really nice guy and showed us what he had (I was a few flowers away from him snapping away). It was a GF3 with an Olympus 60mm macro lens and an old Lepp double flash bracket. It looked like some sort of weapon out of World of Warcraft! To use it, he'd push the rifle mount into his shoulder and hold the rig by the flash bracket - kind of like one of those speed-rigs for motion picture cameras!

Question for the OP though, how do you keep the rig from torquing, since you're holding it below the camera and using your shoulder as a brace?

10. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Wonderful set up! The LCD hood is sheer genius, it turns the GM almost into a mere inbetween sensorpack, hidden in a spotting scope like thing. :smile:

11. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    I don't really understand what you mean with that...

12. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, you're holding the rig under the camera body with the Leitz grip.
    When you hold it does it have a tendency to tip to the right or the left putting strain on your wrist?

13. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Oh no, not at all. I'm lefthanded, so I hold the grip with my left and the camera with my right hand to release the shutter.
    But even without the right hand it would stay absolutely straight since I press the LCD hood to my eye. As a matter of fact, I can even let go of the pistol grip, the rig stays where it is because the shoulder brace sits tightly under my armpit :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    What do you mean with part 2 ?