Panasonic GM1 vs Olympus OM-D E-M10

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tortau, Oct 22, 2014.

1. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Does anyone on the forum own (or have owned) either cameras and can comment about the differences?

My situation is a little different: I own the GM1 and I must admit I bought it without much research. I'm a Canon SLR user and finally got fed up with its bulkiness for daily walkaround photos. Then one day, I saw a deal for the GM1 and I started reading about it and it just seemed so ideal for a change: its size, its weight & the fact that it supports interchangeable lenses. So I bought it because I recently started a daily photo challenge with some friends and it seemed perfect for my needs.

It was my first micro 4/3 camera and wow, I love the portability of the camera but wow, it sure can be frustrating when I'm used to a lot more controls and using a viewfinder.

Anyway, it got me doing more research and I realized that the E-M10 would have suited me more (more modeled like the SLR). I've read comparison charts and they don't seem terribly useful. Most reviews I've read do not compare them (other than saying that you could buy camera X as an alternative). I held the E-M10 at a store and the size is still passable to carry around everyday.

The main reason I'm considering the E-M10 is because of the EVF. But then, I reading and discovered the an electronic viewfinder does not necessarily work like a regular viewfinder (brightness, etc). The GM1 feels like a point + shoot camera with interchangeable lens. And during the bright daytime, I can't even see the screen clearly to compose my picture...

Anyway, I keep juggling the thought of switching to the E-M10 (especially if the refurb + coupon deals come back which it should closer to the xmas season). But at the same time, this isn't my main camera so I don't want to splurge (though I'm already starting to...).

So ... does anyone here who have owned both cameras who could share some thoughts?

2. On an Olympus the brightness of the EVF and rear screen can be set to show either a constant level (called "Live View Boost") or to display the brightness of the final image that will be captured. The latter is especially useful because you can trim your exposure compensation correctly for each image rather than finding out after the image has been taken whether the metering was correct.

3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm also a Canon/GM1 user.

The EM-10 seems to be just what you're looking for, it takes care of the need for a full control layout and VF... and it also has other nifty features, like magnificent IBIS and the fold-up screen. No reason for you to be wary of the EVF, it is fantastic.

4. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Sigh. I was hoping someone who be able to sway me to appreciating the GM1 that I have right now instead of spending more money to get a different camera :)

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I guess it is worth noting that if all you really want is a viewfinder on your GM1 then the GM5 is due out any time, and it has a built in EVF. Still looks like a P&S though.

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Don't have the E-M10, but I do have the GM1 and E-M5. I like things to be really small when I'm out an about so I accept the handling compromises of the GM1 so that it will fit in a cargo pants pocket with the 15/1.7 or 12-32 on it. I use the E-M5 around the house or when actually taking a small camera bag with me to some event.

You mention that this is not your primary camera system so the question is what do you need it to do that your primary system doesn't? What makes you take the GM1 but not your primary camera and will the E-M10 answer that same need?

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-M10 has better controls, built-in EVF and very effective IBIS. This makes it more versatile camera than GM1.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

similarly I was Canon EOS since 1991, however the G1 was my first m43 camera. I loved the EVF and the ability to zoom in during focus and pan around the image (such as doing a product shot). It was everything an optical angle finder was but more.

The tilt swivel screen allowed me to work beside the camera between camera and subject which I love.

I have always admired the GF1 for compactness and so after admiring it for a while I bought it.

Like you I'm vexed about the compactness vs the viewfinder and screen.

The difference for me is that I (after 6 or so months) sold all my canon stuff (except for some 35mm film bodies worth nothing).

My solution is that I have both the GH (upgraded) and the GF ...

So by way of answer why not used GH1 or something to augment the GM and see what you think about the EVF and screen? Probably only cost you $200

9. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Versality, lightweight, "carry-around" SLR. In short, size.

It's scary but given time, it does have the potential to replace my primary camera system. And well, this particular effect still bugs me (shot using the GM1):
    15418837547_b9d23832e1.

10. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    If I'm honest about it, I think it does boil down to the fact that I want a point-and-shoot size camera that functions (or has the potential to work) as an SLR.

It really is about compactness for me. I'm using it more for daily photos (something I can just throw in the bag + prime lens), especially those "moments" when you don't have the SLR with you and all you have is that darn phone that takes awful photos in low light.

GH and GF is just so ... heavy. And to be honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around Panasonic's software. It's so ... confusing.

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just wondering why your only considering the E-m10 and not the GX7? My opinion, of course, but the GX7 would be more suitable as a daily carry. Built in viewfinder ( which tilts) flash, fold out screen, much easier to pocket them E-M10. I use one as my daily carry, and an E-M1 for planned shoots. Honestly, I'm contemplating selling the E-M1 as I don't find it out performing the GX7 most of the time. Honestly, it only really excels in ergonomics with larger lenses, which isn't often an issue. Plus the GX7 will have a similar operating system and menus to your GM1 vs learning the Olympus system( not that it's an issue to learn but not an easy transition).if you think Lumix OS system is confusing, I'm sure you won't like the Olympus OS.

12. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Re Olympus OS: That is good to know ... never considered that factor.

GX7 = 18.8 oz (532 g) includes batteries, kit lens. That's pretty hefty. Almost 2x the weight of the GM1.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

well, job done then :)

Your GM is the lightweight at 204g
    but if the GH1 is so heavy
    GH1 = 385g
    OM-D = 396g

then the Oly isn't far behind it ... or ahead of it

?? Wouldn't know ... never used it ... unless you're meaning the cameras menus. That's of course personal but I've hated the menu system on the Olys I've tried to use (including the E-M5)

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    E-M10 is 396g w/o lens or memory card so bigger,heavier, and bulkier than GX7. So by that comparison neither is an option for you. If weight and size are the deciding factor, maybe you should just use a phone withan attachment kens like what Sony makes.

15. PhotoKatt

PhotoKatt New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you considered the GM-5, (it is a little larger and has an EVF)?

16. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Not really. I think one of the things I'm factoring in is price. I think GM5 is $899 at launch.

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I was strongly considering upgrading my GX1 to an E-M10, mainly for the EVF, control dials, and IBIS. But I found the interface to be a confusing disaster compared to the GX1 or the GX7. It was enough to really turn me off. I'm sure with long, patient reading of the manual and substantial fiddling I could get used to it. But I've never had to do that with any of my other cameras...

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Just becareful what you wish for or that it might just come true -- E-M10 replacing your Canon DSLR! LOL While I shoot Nikon FF for work, I had long abandoned my personal DSLR system in favour of the m43. I actually started along the same lines as you did but I bought first the E-PL1 to play with it. Then soon I realized when the E-P5 came out and it truly can compete and be heads and shoulders with the best APS-C DSLRs on the market and eventually committed fully into the m43 system as my main personal system.

If I were you, I would keep the GM1 as a walk around street camera because it's unique and quite small. The E-M10 would be a complement to the GM1 and then use the lens that came with the GM1 and then shoot. I think you may eventually come to a realization that the E-M10 is quite good enough for what it is to be your main system. Unless you have special shooting needs, m43 is good enough for most shooting works while being lighter and smaller.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Would you consider a Ricoh GR? Fixed lens, but small with excellent controls and IQ.

--Ken