1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic (GM1) Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tjdean01, May 9, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    When I had my Olympus PM2, in review mode, I could take a series of photos (let's say on a tripod at f1.4, f1.8, f2.2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, etc) and then simply hit PLAYBACK, zoom in on the f1.4 image, press SET, and press to the RIGHT and have each successive photo show up ALREADY ZOOMED IN. The GM1, as far as I know, doesn't have this feature.

I just loaded up a new adapted lens--85mm f1.8-- and it seems pretty darn good wide open, but since I can't do as described, I don't know what aperture I should shoot portraits at. You know, you want the most background blur slash sharpness compromise. It's hard to tell after zooming in each time. Puttting images on the computer is not what I want to do after coming from Olympus. Maybe I should have nabbed a PL7 after all :(

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I also like that functionality and often use it when chimping, to compare duplicates and find the sharpest. My Ricoh GR does the same. There might yet be a way to get it in the Panasonic.

3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I didn't know about this feature. I wonder if all Olympus cameras (E-M1?) have this feature.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I imagine it does. On the E-M5 you hit fn1 after zooming in on image during playback.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Alternatively, at least on my EP5, you can rotate one dial to zoom, a second dial to cycle between photos.

(Assuming both dials still function, grumble.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    On my Panasonic cameras when I view an image I zoom in to where I want and click the dial. Then left and right arrow take me to the same coordinates at the same zoom in the subsequent pics. See if that does the trick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, it's THAT important, eh?

8. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I can do this with the GM5 and I would guess that would work with any Panasonic camera that has the clickable rear wheel. On the GX7, you can use the rear wheel to magnify and the front wheel to change images.
    My wife has the GF3 which has the rear dial like the GM1, so far I cannot find a way to change the images whilst still zoomed in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks, was wondering how to do this!

10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    On the GM1 if I zoom in and click either up, down, left, or right, the zoomed in portion of the image just pans around the full image. If I click the middle button, it zooms the image back out to fill screen.

Well, considering I started a thread about it, of course it's important to me. I like to look at pictures on the LCD after taking them. That's why I rarely load up any of my film cameras. I was torn between the GM1 and PL7 to begin with but it ultimately came down to a sale on the GM1. At this point in time, seeing how the GM1 is hard to hold and has no stabilization, I would say the PL7 is the superior camera, although it is bigger than my old PM2 which for me was the perfect size. It's amazing that out of all the bodies that for me personally, these two are the closest. You'd never guess that by looking at the lineups. GM5, PM2, PL6, GF6, etc. and their features make them not as good as the GM1 and PL7 are for me.

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I guess you don't have the thumb / finger dial that the G / GF and GH do ... I'm suspicious there will be something to support this even on the GM1

12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    bugger

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I didn't know I could do that! Thanks for the heads up, very helpful.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    yeah, even my OLD Canon EOS 10D did that ... I naturally looked for it when the G1 was released and was pleased to find that it was present :)

Seems to be all manner of features on our cameras we often don't know is there.

15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You just went from "pet peeve" to "I never should have bought this POS camera" really quickly. That's all. I guess if it is a must have feature then you have a decision to make. It seems like a minor nuisance to me, but we all have different ways we work.