1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Gm1/Gm5 Battery (DMW-BLH7E) Vs Generic

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hazwing, Mar 28, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Let preface by saying, I am a proponent of using genuine camera batteries where possible. I believe they usually have better quality control, generally offer the best capacity and will tend to last better in the long run.

However the cost of the genuine Panasonic GM5 is fairly exorbitant where I am (~$90AUD each). So I decided to pick up some generic batteries instead. I didn't want to get the cheapest and nastiest batteries from ebay, so I got some from this store: http://www.betterbatt.com.au/s/digital-camera-battery/panasonic/dmw-blh7e/BBCB-361/. They don't seem to over-rate their battery capacity and claim to provide some sort of support behind their products. Whether these are truly better than the cheap batteries from ebay, I do not know.

The Panasonic battery is rated for 680mah. The generic is rated for 600mah

Anyway here is the initial discharge capacity test of these batteries.
    Tested at a 300ma discharge.
    Betterbatt Generic A - 561mah
    Betterbatt Generic B - 579mah
    Genuine Panasonic battery - 660mah.

So the Generics and Panasonic batteries are relatively close to their rated capacity. The Panasonic battery has more capacity than the Generics.

Personally I feel generics tend to fail/lose their capacity quicker over time. So it would be interesting to do these test again in 12 months time, to see where we are at.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I went for the original panasonic, but I suppose I'm a bit of a sucker for the real thing. The GM5 purchased new cost me a shead load of money, so didn't see the point of scrimping on batteries, and apart from that I have read about charge retention over time etc and some 3rd party are good and some are just a waste of money. Worse still I've read about some of these 3rd party batteries physically expanding once inside the camera and being difficult to remove. In the end I decided I didn't want to run the risk of invalidating the warranty. Batteries cost £32 each, so I purchased an extra 2, meaning I'm good for a whole day of shooting.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the high quality after market versions of Panasonic and 'normal' Olympus batteries perform pretty well compared to the original, as they seem to employ a fairly common chemistry. It's the Olympus BLN-1s that do poorly - they have an unusual chemistry which the after market ones cannot match well.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I would like to see the results of a comparative chemical analysis, it would be interesting, assuming I could understand it! I wonder if the 3rd party batteries have a higher level of impurities resulting in the active ingredients being 'lost' over time, locked up into a non-reversible compound.