1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GM-T5 vs LX100 why would you pick one over the other

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Oct 14, 2014.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    OK other than the fast lens on the lx100 I my vote goes to the GM-5 only because it is a tiny systems camera and can take advantage of more lenses. And it from what I have read uses more of the M43 sensor 16 vs 12
    So what will you pick and why?
    Both cameras will make great second cameras and or travel cameras.

Cheers Jan

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have the GM1 and I might replace it with the GM5 this time next year when prices have fallen.
    Although I find the LX100 interesting, it is not for me. GM5 all the way for me for the same reasons you have stated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    What's the price difference? If it were significantly cheaper, I'd get the GM5 because I already have lenses I can use on it. That said, if the price is comparable, I'd stick with my current G5 and add the LX100, since it would give me a good complement with a zoom and superior portability. The megapixels don't much matter to me as long as the low-light performance is in the same league.

Honestly though, I don't want either -- I'd rather spend the money on lenses for the camera I have.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The GM5 + 12-32 kit lens costs about the same as the LX100. If my intention was to only use the kit lens then I would surely go for the LX100 instead, as it has more features and a faster lens (unless real world IQ is a bust). If my intention was to buy a system camera and use additional lenses then the choice becomes remarkably simple, and I probably would have never considered the LX100 in the first place.

5. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would go for the GM5 as I have the option of sacking a telephoto zoom on there or a small prime, I have enough lenses that will fit it so it seems an easy choice.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My take...and this applies to the way I think.

I tried the LX100 style camera before in a Fuji X30. It left me wanting. While a great camera, decent manual controls, you are stuck with any lens shortcomings with no chance of getting something better for that body. The Fuji had a FOV 28-100mm. I can't get wider and I can't get longer.

I went back to a system camera setup, but that just fits me more.

Now...specifically to the LX100 - I've used cameras with power zooms and absolutely hate them. I've got the 12-50mm that came with the EM5. I don't do video and I don't like the feel or function of power zooms. That is a deal killer for me on an LX100 or an Oly Stylus 1, which is above and beyond the stuff already discussed previously.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would likely be more interested in the LX100, because it looks to have better ergonomics, but both of them interest me. But neither one would be anything close to my main camera - I'd simply be looking at which of them would make a better compact package to be used while traveling.

One thing I would like to test with the LX100 is whether or not the lens works with the 0.76x Fujifilm Wide Converter, and the Olympus A-200 1.5x teleconverter that I own, and which work well on my 14mm and 45-175mm lenses respectively. If the LX100 works with these, instead of being a 24-75mm lens, could then be used as a fast 18-112mm lens - and that would cover over 80% of my needs, and could meet my entire needs for much of my travel shooting.

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I am looking towards panasonic for some better video quality. I own 2 ep5, but would be willing to sell one if them (and some lenses) if I buy the lx100.

I am not really sure what the gm5 offers over the current gm1 (other than the EVF that is not supposed to be that great). Is there somewhere that lists the main improvements of the gm5 over the gm1 (that could be had for a fairly decent price now)? I've only found gm5 previews, and not full reviews yet.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    ANY EVF, if it's the least bit usable, is a VAST improvement over not having one. I simply won't even consider buying any camera other than a cheapo pocketable P&S, without an EVF, as I literally NEVER use the rear LCD to compose. Having an EVF makes the GM5 a camera I'd think about getting. Not having one makes the GM1 a camera that, for me, might as well not exist - well, maybe I'd think about it for $100 or so, but otherwise, it's a non-starter for me. Even a cheapo E-PM2 is much more realistic for me, as I own a VF-2 I could use on it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I used to think this way about evf's...bright daylight is difficult without one...but i just got a gm1 to compliment my gx7...image quality just about same for me , and the best thing is with 14/20 or 12-32 it really does go in my pocket...i will use for all my stealth / night time shots and feel the evf missing is a good enough compremise over size , i guess it would be great for party/nightlife goers...you know when folks like me are tucked up in bed.
    As said i can put a big lens on it should i want to.....cant do that with fixed / 24-75 zoom....i usually like shooting wide or really telephoto...50-90 range barely so very limiting for me would the LX100 be.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I wouldn't consider either serving as a "main" camera for me. However, I did pre-order both - to serve different applications.

APPLICATION FOR THE LX100
    For example, I always carry a camera in my daily "man-bag" whenever I leave the house. Up until now it has been a GX7 with the 12-35, which is a bit larger and heavier than I would prefer, for just having a camera at hand all the time. I want to down-size and down-weight my man bag a bit these days. So a smaller cam for this purpose is indicated.

Either the LX100 or the GM5/12-32 would be a good candidate for this, every-day carry role. But I think the LX100 will get the job, due to the speed of the lens - it should easily cover the majority of whatever I might want to capture, spur of the moment, with very little compromise in image quality.

APPLICATION FOR THE GM5
    The GM5 would serve when I want to go as small and light weight as possible, but need more lens versatility than the LX100 provides. For example: a kit consisting of the GM5, 9-18, 45/1.8, and 60/2.8 would cover a very wide range of imaging needs and be very compact and light weight. This covers much wider and longer focal lengths than the LX100 does.

My main cams will remain the GX7 and EP5/VF4, for the near term, anyway. The GX7 and a half-dozen or so lenses travel in a separate, small camera bag under the back seat of my vehicle, just in case a photo making opportunity arises which would call for more imaging options than the camera in my man-bag can handle.

TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY w/GM5 as second body
    Here is where I prefer to carry two bodies, each with a zoom, so that I don't need to juggle lenses/lens swapping. Each camera on a cross-body sling. GX7 with 12-35 and GM5 with 7-14 (or 9-18). This focal length range meets my travel photography needs very well and with very high imaging quality.

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

You can set up the LX100 via the menus to designate the focus ring to zoom function....whats more, you can set it to 'step' through various focal lengths if you choose...24, 28, 35..etc etc

This is how i will set my lens ring....for zoom rather than focus.

My reasons for getting the LX100 over the GM5....(apart from the lens)

- better evf.
    - 4K video with FULL manual controls via dials.....(no menu diving and button pushing)...just turn the aperture and shutter speed dials to suite and press record. Bam....easy $K video with stabilization....and plenty enough aperture to even get some shallow DOF to play with.

To get equivalent video I would otherwise need a GH4 and the Pana 12-35.....thats about $3000 worth of gear....and it would be massive by comparison. As a side bonus, since I have plenty of 46mm filters, there would be no need to spend a further $100+ on a 58mm variable ND filter.

I'm not usually very much into video, but with a growing family and a lot of travel coming up...(the Gold Coast, Japan,) the LX100 is THE perfect 'do it all really well' solution in a tiny package.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The "stepping" part is what I don't like, and they just never seem to be as precise as a mechanically operated zoom for me.

14. microfourthirdsnut

Oct 8, 2012
    I already sold the wonderful GM1 and pre-ordered the GM-5

15. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    If you like prime lenses, definitely gm1/gm5..If you like fast zooms, gx100 is the one. However, GX100 has more digital corrections also, eg starts w/ 12MP crop and corrected image is around 9MP which is uprised back to 12MP... We need to see gm5 evf also, esp the lcd is in 16:9 format too...

From dc.watch:
    Panasonic LUMIX LX100

040_s.
    041_s.
    042_s.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Fair enough...I'm curious to find out for certain, but I think I read a review where the option existed (via a menu setting) to let the shooter set the focus ring to either step or step-less zoom therefore completely eliminating the reliance on the power-zoom thing. Will find out soon enough I guess.

17. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Stepless would be nice if it then zoomed like the fly-by-wire of other m43 lenses.

19. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. microfourthirdsnut

Oct 8, 2012
    I just noticed my typo error Panasonic GM-T5 the title of the thread should say GM-5 my mistake.
    I hate the wait I hope the GM-5 starts shipping early in November also want the 35-100mm and 15mm but that will take some time to save for. This will make a great travel camera system. I have seen the 35-100mm for sale on ebay from Japan so my guess it won't be a long wait for all these to hit USA stores.