Panasonic GH5 video with my sisters!

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Shot By Steem, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Shot By Steem

Shot By Steem Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    Hey guys!

My previous video's got me some useful constructive feedback which i tried to apply in my next video. The edit was quite quick, but i would love to get some feedback on it too!

• Like Like x 2
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Hey there, nice video and thanks for sharing! Regarding feedback, I didn't really see anything that jumped out at me, but then again, this is a primarily photography-focused forum, unlike places like eosHD, cinema5D, etc.

Could you share some details around the gear used? Was it just the GH5, no external stabilization? If so, how did you find the IBIS to perform? What lenses did you shoot with? Did you shoot it in 4K 60p, or did you use one of the higher frame-rate 1080p modes?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. magIBIS

magIBIS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    First of all: Great video result for learning by doing! Keep on going, keep on trying, keep on asking. For a second time it's already quite mature.

Now, as I feel you will appreciate, some constructive feedback:
    - the music fits the mood great, but it has no dramatic curve in it. Your edit has a nice one, so try to find something, that evolves more. And the text is just disturbing.
    - the colors are great, but a color grade for just one take and a sequence differ. Again - you got a great dramatic curve - adjust the tones and the passing of time will be more intuitive. The color temperature changes during the day - even graded and tinted pictures have to follow that rule, if you want them to fit a smoothly edited sequence.
    - you got a great symbolic opening with the dices. You seem to not use that opportunity well enough. While the last picture is good, you can improve it easily. With what you have, I would keep the dices visible until the blackout, as you have nothing better to focus on. Just center the effect on them and not the middle of the frame. For even better ending, you could find the next time an additional aspect. If the same last frame would have the dices in them, but the focus would change to the far goal of the journey, like far lights of a town...
    - you included yourself in one take. Follow the rule: Once is a disturbance, twice is established. So either keep yourself out and tell a story of two sisters, or use more footage, that shows the interaction of you and the two - only then you will be part of the story.
    - I feel, the going there and going back have good proportions, but the staying there in between is too short in relation. A more complete"rest" would take the pace out better, before the closing shot.
    - the shot of the sisters going side by side is framed awkward - either feet complete or legs distinctly cut.
    - the walking shoes in the sand is esthetically a bit too documentary. Try a lower angle and let them go into the frame.

I think that's enough for now
    Again - great work, keep on going!

4. Shot By Steem

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks for your response and the website's you mentioned for feedback on video's!

I mainly used the GH5 in combination with the Leica Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2, the wider shots are made with the Leica Summilux 15mm F1.7. Used no external stabilisation other than the IBIS. Some clips could use the warp stabilizer though. Everything was shot in 4K 60FPS and transformed to 24 FPS for the slowmotion.

5. Shot By Steem

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks a bunch for your detailed feedback and for confirming some things i wasnt quite certain of.

I find it hard to get all the shots i wanted within a couple of hours and usually just use them anyway since it seems fitting, although im not completely satisfied with them. The shot with them walking and the dice at the end are a perfect example.

I love this; " - you included yourself in one take. Follow the rule: Once is a disturbance, twice is established. So either keep yourself out and tell a story of two sisters, or use more footage, that shows the interaction of you and the two - only then you will be part of the story."

This is really useful and i will keep all your tips in mind for a next video, thanks again!

6. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    You did not need that GH5. You could make a VHS tape look really good! Great technique, creative.

7. Shot By Steem

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks for your kind comment!

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Being a bit old school, I was wondering

Why is everything shot in slow motion these days.

From music to advertising to just about every hobby video posted, all shot at 60fps.

What's the thinking or reason for it all.

Or is life going too fast so needscslowing down.

Nice Video BTW even if it is in slowmo

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Because everything looks better in slow-mo...

10. Shot By Steem

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks! I never made a slowmotion video, i really like how it looks because its add a more cinematic/dramatic effect too it. Additional is that my shots look more steady.

I agree that its a bit over-used these days though.

11. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Anyone know how they manage it with music videos, shot in slowmo but the singing is at normal speed.
    Do they have to sing at a faster speed so it sounds ok when the video is slown down. ?

12. Shot By Steem

Apr 14, 2017
    Yea that's exactly it!

• Funny Funny x 1