Panasonic GH4 UHS 3 Sandisk Card Performance?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cookedart, May 11, 2014.

1. cookedart

cookedart Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012
    So I just got the Panasonic GH4 as well as a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro rated at 280MB/s (has the UHS Class 3 Logo on it). Was surprised that this card seems to make no difference in performance compared to the older generation 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards. By this I mean I can shoot 4K 24 and 30fps at 100mbps, 1080P60 at 200mbps, and shoot 12fps bursts all with the exact same results between the two cards.

Both cards can handle any video setting I can select in the GH4 without issues. Moreover, both cards clear their buffers fully at the exact same time with stills. I timed how long the camera took to clear a full burst of raw images, as well as raw+jpeg images, with manual focus on, on a tripod, with locked settings in full manual (exposure settings were all the same). The timings are pretty much identical. I did buy both cards from a reputable dealer.

Has anyone been getting faster performance out of the UHS Class 3 speed cards compared to the previous generation?
  2. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I've read reports that the older card will work fine.

Likely you will only see a difference if the old card does not meet the speed required by the camera. If the camera works with a card and no data is lost, likely a card 10x faster will work the same in video modes.

You might see a difference in burst shooting, where a faster card *may* empty the buffer faster. I don't yet have my GH4, but I'll try it with my current Class 10 SDHX/SDXC cards before upgrading.
  3. cookedart

cookedart Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012
    This was my main point of comparison actually, since the video seems to work great on any of my UHS Class 1 cards. I have not been able to get the UHS class 3 cards to clear the buffer any quicker, no matter the setting. I figured there would be a noticeable difference in buffer clearing but it doesn't appear so. As of right now I'd say don't even bother with the UHS class 3 cards on the GH4.