1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH4 sample footage (1080p = humiliation)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Promit, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    [video=youtube;hHKJ5eE7I1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKJ5eE7I1k[/video]
    Haven't watched it on a 4K screen yet but on a 2560 screen it's absolutely gorgeous, even with the YT compression. It still looks great in 1080p but you're only seeing one fourth of the story :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    I can only get up to 1440 before I can no longer see the difference due to my display, but holy mackerel, that even looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Must go home and try this on the Retina. :biggrin:

4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    People go to a sony store or somewhere where you have access to a 4k tv and wifi of some sort, it looks UNreal in a good way. The details jump out at you, its ridiculous. I saw it in a sony store with a 4k display that has youtube in it. For the people that say that at normal viewing distances you wont notice between 1080p and 4k, you need to do what I posted above, we watched it from a good 15 feet away (no one sits 15 feet away from their tv at home) and the difference is vastly clear. i am aware itll be years before broadcast jumps on it (they still havent jumped on 1080p for petes sake...) but a couple of movies in 4k should look brilliant

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I saw some 4K video on display on 4K TVs recently. It was a 'documentary' of a glamour model shoot - the worst example to show IMO. Yes, the high resolution detail was there, but it was just... off. Nobody is that perfect - not even a supermodel. At 4K, you either see a person's blemishes, or their makeup, or everything looks a bit plastic. It's way too hard to hide anything. Perhaps we'll see a revival of soft focus filters?

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I can't get excited about Panasonic colors or the lack of 5 axis image stabilization.

7. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I can.

• Like Like x 2
  8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    That's really nice.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It would be best if we kept this thread about the video output on the Panasonic, not any random Panasonic bashing that somebody wants to throw in to make themselves feel better.

• Like Like x 5
  10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking. They can't help themselves, can they?

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry, I was not Panasonic bashing. The TVs just happened to be Panasonic, but I was speaking about 4K in general. Some subjects (like this one) really lend themselves to all that detail, some others don't. A pity that my internet isn't good enough to stream reliably at even 1080p to enjoy this one!

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Very impressive! Professional videographers are going to love the GH4.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    This $2,000 sony 4k camcorder offers more landscape detail than the gh4 and better image stabilization, but probably can't handle fast panning as we'll http://youtu.be/hEYhkvZEVN4

14. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Panasonic are going to have to distribute 4k TVs to every major camera retailer to promote the GH4, probably is what will jumpstart 4k content for the masses...

I watched Sony's video and it was definitely more detailed even on my 1080p screen. I have no doubt though that the GH4 could almost match that if it's sharpness and iResolution were bumped up and NR was reduced. We don't know the videographer's workflow or settings but comparing video that I've captured with default settings to tweaked settings, I can see a difference.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Very nice!

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    One person mentioned why Panasonic was not for them. Bashing?

Again, one person mentioned why they weren't interested in the GH4. And while I agree that the comment was not needed in this thread, I don't understand why you take that and choose to paint with a broad brush in saying "they can't help themselves...".

The oversensitivity to any perceived slight about a camera or brand is just as much an issue as the initial comment.

17. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    That's OK. I can't get excited about you not being excited.

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Please post on topic, demiro.

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Should I really start a new thread about your oversensitivity? Seems like a waste...even more so than your posts here and mine.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Sarcasm I hope.