1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GH4 looks really interesting

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tomO2013, Feb 6, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Guys,

http://www.43rumors.com/first-panasonic-gh4-images/

This new Panasonic GH4 looks like it will be a significant contribution to the m43 format - particularly for video/stills shooters with a 50:50 bias.

Panasonic, also according to the rumor sites (and from a hardware perspective) look to be targeting noise reduction and rolling shutter for video with this new camera - partly by utilizing a new semi-conductor protection mode. Canon did something similar in the past with their 5d moving from 5d mk ii to mk iii and got huge benefits.
    I'm wondering if this will also translate to much lower noise high ISO shooting on the GH4 relative to the E-M1.

There is no mention of IBIS, but I'm not sure if it is technically possible presently to put a head spreader on the back of a gimbal (needed for IBIS).

Either way, I could see wedding photographers picking up GH4 to compliment E-M1 for a days shoot and video.

--Tom.

2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I wouldn't expect IBIS, they've done a LOT of work on the sensor this time around. Even if you don't see massive improvements in stills quality, they did a HUGE amount of work to enable 4K/96 (per rumor) and 1080p/120. That's a MASSIVE amount of data being processed through that body. More than most computers process these days, and PC's have the benefit of fans to cool off. I wonder if this thing could experience a full thermal shutdown in sunny, hot conditions. I wouldn't even blame it on the camera if it did.

One positive thing I am looking for, however, is a MASSIVE buffer and perhaps FAST burst mode (hopefully with full shutter, but perhaps just electronic). Perhaps even unlimited burst at 8MP.

Another would be very low noise in long-exposure shots. Since this thing is designed to dissipate heat under constant use, hot pixels should be less of an issue. That likely doesn't translate to significantly better high ISO noise, as heat isn't the biggest issue there.

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    quad core processor.

4. Panasonic is just about the last mirrorless manufacturer not to have employed on-sensor PDAF yet. I wonder if this camera will change that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    That doesn't really mean much, I'm afraid.

That's also unlikely for this model. They've concentrated on pushing the envelope on read speed and heat dissipation for the new sensor. To be honest, if I could fire off 30FPS at full resolution (entirely possibly if this thing CAN do 4K/60 or higher, as rumors suggest) it might not even matter. Just start shooting a half-second before the action and you're bound to get one bang-on exposure as the lens racks through possible focus points.

More speed can alleviate quite a few of the issues we deal with outside of low-light, and even some in low light. You just have to get used to using your camera in an entirely different way...unless you already spray-and-pray. That just becomes spray-and-you-WILL-get-it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, it's not the slightest bit interesting to me. I don't shoot video, I shoot stills. And if I did shoot video for my personal use, I'd want something that was the size, weight, and cost of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I suppose that it's interesting to someone who is attempting to shoot commercial video for a living and don't already have the sort of pro gear that already does that, but seriously, how many people fit that description? It's a far smaller niche than this forum is oriented to, as evidenced by how little discussion of the various Blackmagic cameras actually takes place on this forum.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    According to 43 rumors:

- 12fps, 7,5 fps with continuous focusing

Not 30 fps but not too shabby.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's the continuous focusing that I'm wondering about. If it is competent, it would suggest that PDAF is not necessary in the long term. Either way, hopefully decent C-AF will trickle down to the more affordable models in short order.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah, a side-effect of souped-up power ;
    Speaking of which : I got a used GF1 recently, which is like a G1 but with video.
    That thing has at least twice the processing speed (in certain functions) of the G1, I put it down to stuffing enough power for video into the thing. without draining that same power with more bells & whistles.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All this techie video stuff is interesting, but the big question for me is "why is the mode dial so damned big?"

• Like Like x 2
  11. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    well, it intrigues me. if it sets a precedence for future cameras, then it can lead to many things. I was suspicious of whether or not they could cool such a processor. but seeing the new interface unit, I wonder if the processor is offloaded onto the interface unit to keep the camera itself temperature controlled.

GH4_back_YAGH_zpse48ca0cd.

12. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    That was so very entertaining - the comments section on the rumour website.

Now I know I'll probably never require nor own such a highly specified piece of kit but reading the arguments and counter-arguments over why this button is so big/small or why that dial is was a real treat. All of it with regard to a camera which hasn't yet hit the shelves...

Priceless :happy-084:

13. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Press release

http://www.43rumors.com/full-panasonic-gh4-press-text/

• Like Like x 4
  14. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  15. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I think you misunderstand me. You can have a quad-core CPU that's slower than a one-core CPU. That's still the case when one compares a mobile SOC to a desktop or laptop CPU. Alternatively, there are things like GPUs (the heart of graphics cards, if you're not familiar) which have thousands of small independent cores which can do amazing things (or be utterly awful) depending on the type of work you ask them to do.

Point is, "core" is more of a marketing term than a technical one these days. It's even more useless than measuring clock speeds in MHz or GHz. Adding more cores, like speeding up the clock, is meant to make you feel like it's 4x faster (or whatever). In reality, it's a technical curiosity, but is baseless for comparisons. No one should buy the GH4 over (say) the EM1 just because the former has more cores in its CPU.

Having said all that, this is clearly the fastest and most powerful (compute-wise) camera in the ecosystem. Likely among all ILC cameras under 10K. Especially with the video-out attachment, which allows uncompressed 10-bit 4k output to storage or monitor.

43Rumors is the sensationalist rag of photography, and it has the user base to match. Having said that, they do get some scoops. They just usually get them wrong aside from 1 or 2 core details. Like assuming 4K96 when the actual limits 4K30 and 1080P96.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good post, quite correct.
    Now, finally, according to that huge press release
    we have a camera that DOES also make the tea!

17. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Does look like the ultimate hybrid camera for sure.

Still images at the very least should be on par with the E-M1 and maybe better it as far as high ISO goes but the E-M1 & GH4 are totally different cameras which is a good thing.

The GH4 will make a lot of people happy and as the OP said, a welcome addition to M43.

• Like Like x 2
  18. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I think it will have the same sensor as the GX7, now it makes sense to me why Panasonic did such little advertising for the GX7 in comparison.

19. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    I doubt it. I listen for such and have heard nothing. However, the adapter pack is obviously designed to sit atop a sturdy tripod. I do wish Panasonic would include 5-axis stabilization for handheld video. It is more challenging to shoot smooth video without stabilization but I try to use a short prime lens with the GH3 & GX7 to minimize camera shake.

20. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    I think you have SERIOUS point here!!! One on the biggest perceived fall-downs of m4/3 is sports photography. Sports photography is dominated by DSLR cameras made by Nikon & Canon. If one could record RAW images of 4K @ 96 frames per second . . . that could certainly challenge the big boys with their 10-12 frames per second.

The GH4 could actually begin to change the perception about m4/3 cameras for shooting sports.