Panasonic GH4 & GH3 high ISO comparison

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lawrence, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's interesting... the actual noise doesn't seem much different if you look at the OOF areas in the background, but the main subject looks a lot sharper and more detailed.

I'm really wondering if that's focus related or something else in play rather than high ISO performance, since the noise in the dark and out of focus areas really doesn't seem that much different. Could be just focusing better in low light with the new Depth From Defocus technology?

Regardless, if it means better looking results in low light I'm all for it.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If anything, the GH4 looks to have a more contrasty image. Is that a difference in DR/exposure range? With video, I like to shoot pretty flat and punch up the contrast in post.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Is everyone looking at different pictures to me? :confused:
    Despite introducing glare with the lamp turned towards the lens for the GH3 photos ... surely not on purpose :rolleyes:
    the ISO6400 pairs look the same to me,
    and in this ISO12800 one ;
    Hand-ISO12800.
    the GH4 has more and harsher luminance noise.

And all this ... despite ... only using Jpegs, which traditionally benefit from more recent bodies having slightly more aggressive noise reduction. In this case it is good to see no more Jpeg NR than the GH3.

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    No, I agree with you I don't see that much difference in the noise. What I'm seeing is a lot more detail in Giulio's face and the shirt etc. in the GH4 shots. Which I think may be down to focus accuracy, not sure.

The 12,800 shot is really hard to judge, the light isn't in the same position but I did notice the noise looks a little worse in the GH4. However, there's also quite a bit more detail in the shirt fabric. Presumably different processing or noise reduction applied in the JPG engine.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The GH4 Jpegs have blacker black and higher contrast overall. My guess would be that's simply a tone-curve choice in the Jpeg engine.
    I don't see more detail, just more contrast and blacker blacks. The GH3 jpegs have pulled up the shadows into more grey.

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Dunno, I definitely see what appears to be better detail retention on the shirt and face, e.g.:

Head-ISO3200.

Bird-ISO6400.

But as I said, I think the focus is slightly off and/or there may be a tiny smidge of motion blur, despite the high shutter speeds. Really no way to tell what's going on from this limited set. Not sure, but let's just say I'm not calling this definitive of anything :tongue:

I'm not expecting a particularly noticeable improvement in high ISO from the GH4 so I'll count it as a bonus if it does perform better.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I agree.
    It certainly looks like the two photos have a different point of focus.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    These shots are so poorly done it would be a mistake to reach any conclusions from them. I don't know how such incompetent bloggers manage to be taken seriously by Panasonic and other manufacturers. We don't even know if the jpeg engine in this body even matches the final production software.

10. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Seems to be an unfair criticism. They are not shooting production models with final software in studio conditions. They're given brief opportunities to demo hardware and they're providing the best info they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    That's no excuse for not focusing correctly.

12. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Oh ok. I'm not at that point yet in my photography where I nail all my shots 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well ... maybe.
    Actually not. Nope, definitely not. Just a quick show to get the first web hits. Normal practice.

If this is the best info they can, then they're incompetent. Let's not go there.

If this isn't the best info (and I'm sure ... absolutely positive it's not and they themselves acknowledge it) then we can cut them some slack and give them the benefit of doubt and expect a re-do ASAP to address the issues we have pointed out : Misfocus, angle of lamps, relying on Jpegs, way too much RED.

Good things to expect. eh?

14. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    The GH3 is more than capable of auto-focusing on a non-moving subject.