Panasonic GH4 Announced - 4K Video Comes to Micro Four Thirds

Ramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
Panasonic DMC-GH4 is indeed big news, not only for Panasonic but for the whole m4/3 platform!
It is a great step for hybrid photography!
When for example making an eProduct; you have your photos from the 4K videofeed already due to the better resolution. This will indeed make the process of creating eProducts really practical.

For now I will enjoy my GH3 which still is a great hybrid camera. The GH4 though takes us to the next generation in videography. I don't doubt that I also one day will own own.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I look at the image threads on this forum. I see no real bias toward either Olympus or Panasonic in the images that I like. I am convinced that personal preferences and not any serious gear performance issues separate the two brands, although they do take different approaches to various features such as IS. I'm not a video user myself, but I'm very curious about the technology and try to learn a bit in case I ever do want to hit that video button. AFAIC, a video gem like the GH4 makes the format stronger whether or not it's something you want. Unlike APS-C or FF, mu43 has the advantage of a common lens mount which has given the format so much of it's system depth.

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
After seeing two 4k videos (one shot with Sony's new videocamera and the other was a GH4 promo video) on YouTube, I'm eager to see more 4k-material. I honestly didn't expect such huge difference compared to 1080p. I was really blown away by the two videos. They just look so unreal - in a good way. :tongue:

Unfortunately I'm not that rich I could afford a GH4 just for videos (I love my E-M5 and I would never trade it to a GHx). So basically I'm forced to wait till Oly starts to support 4k and I wish they would introduce E-M5mk2 within the next 9-12 months and it would have a brand new sensor with 4k-video. Not going to happen but one can dream... :biggrin:

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Yeah, one of the neat things about 4K video is it still looks much, much sharper when it's rendered as a 1080p output.

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
I think it is an absolute strength that we can go from a GM1 or E-PM2 to a GH4 or E-M1 with multiple options in between. All m4/3s cameras do not need to be "compact".
Exactly. This is what makes a SYSTEM valuable. I absolutely love the fact that I can swap lenses between my GH2 and my wife's GX1. And if she is not shooting and I want a smaller package, I can take the GX1 in my coat pocket.

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
Panny has, at various points in time, owned the low/no budget filmmaking segment. This started with the DVX100 line of MiniDV camcorders that offered 24p with Cine-Gamma.

Before the dSLR video boom (5D Mark II), indie filmmakers were rigging up legacy glass in front of their camcorders in expensive and clumsy "35mm" or "DOF" adapters just to get shallow DOF for a more "film-like" look.

Now, with dSLR's and mirrorless cams like the GH-line, we have a tool that can produce high bitrate HD/4K with shallow DOF, all in a hand-held package.

The fact that the GH-line can also take professional grade still images is icing on the cake...

sgreszcz

Mu-43 Veteran
Great post. I've been in the media for a very long time. If most consumers/viewers realized how much - even today - high definition material they watch on broadcast and cable television is upconverted, they'd be shocked. Upconverted to what? 720p and 1080i. Not even 1080p. As you said, bandwidth remains a big problem. And as I said, the GH4 looks like it's a great tool that'll be fantastic for filmmakers and professional videographers. But I suspect 4K isn't relevent to most people and is likely to get much the same response that 3D TV did. Besides, I suspect that at least half the population has eyesight bad enough that they can't even fully appreciate 1080p.
I think you are missing the point that 4k is important for the acquisition of the images to allow for better use of the sensor. The algorithms (binning) used to downsize the sensor readout to 1080p causes a lot of artifacts. To scale down from 4k to 1080 or 720 in editing gives you a better image and allows for selective cropping.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Heh, this GH4 response reminds me an awful lot of when the D800 came out, and things divided into two camps: people utterly excited about the possibilities, and those dismayed by the 'unnecessary' high resolution.

I don't shoot video at the moment, but I am nonetheless more than happy to see the GH4 appear for the following reasons:

* 1/8000 shutter speed
* 1/250s flash x-sync speed
* Reduced rolling shutter effect with the electronic shutter (I use this feature every single week)
* Uses same battery, grip, and other accessories as the GH3 and retains the excellent body design
* AF speed and functionality improvements (e.g. selectable limited focus planes, eye detection)
* 12fps and long-life 200k rated shutter
* Faster processing speed
* Improved sensor & high ISO noise response
* Focus Peaking
* In-camera image processing - not something I'll use a lot but still a potentially useful feature

This isn't revolutionary by any means but it's a solid update to an already excellent camera. The first four items on my list above alone are enough reason for me to upgrade eventually.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Good summary! For when you do start doing video, even if you don't plan to distribute 4K:
*Ability to crop and apply software image stabilization in post if shooting 4K
*Improved 1080p output due to higher dynamic range and bit-depth if shot in 4K and downsized. (For instance, there is often a lot of talk about chroma subsampling (simply put, when storing video, you store luma (brightness) and two color difference components - due to the eye being more sensitive to brightness changes, they store more of this information than the color difference information). While the GH4 only stores in 4:2:0 to sdcard (any resolution), if you use the 4K image, once downsized, in practical terms you get 4:4:4. This of course increases quality, but also very specifically helpful for green-screen work.
*1080p can be output to a recorder in 4:2:2 natively without accessory.
*96 fps in 1080p, which means you can shoot high speed at 4x cinema-rate (24fps)
*Much better connection possibilities (actually very impressive, even by pro standards, xlr audio, sdi video, time code sync etc) if you purchase the add-on, which granted will be very expensive.
*several of the items you mentioned for photos are very useful for video as well(reduced rolling shutter, 1/8k shutter, af speed, focus peaking, better high iso performance)
*extremely high bitrates both for 4K and 1080p though comparatively speaking 1080p is better, as it has the same max rate for IPB, and a whopping 200mbit/sec for all intra (which means each frame is fully stored, think jpg, rather than most video that only has keyframes, and the rest of the frames measure difference to previous and future frames).

jloden, you probably know this stuff, but maybe someone else will find it useful :)

Heh, this GH4 response reminds me an awful lot of when the D800 came out, and things divided into two camps: people utterly excited about the possibilities, and those dismayed by the 'unnecessary' high resolution.

I don't shoot video at the moment, but I am nonetheless more than happy to see the GH4 appear for the following reasons:

* 1/8000 shutter speed
* 1/250s flash x-sync speed
* Reduced rolling shutter effect with the electronic shutter (I use this feature every single week)
* Uses same battery, grip, and other accessories as the GH3 and retains the excellent body design
* AF speed and functionality improvements (e.g. selectable limited focus planes, eye detection)
* 12fps and long-life 200k rated shutter
* Faster processing speed
* Improved sensor & high ISO noise response
* Focus Peaking
* In-camera image processing - not something I'll use a lot but still a potentially useful feature

This isn't revolutionary by any means but it's a solid update to an already excellent camera. The first four items on my list above alone are enough reason for me to upgrade eventually.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Well after reading the article on i-r.com about DFD, I am starting to think that the GH4 could potentially be the breakthrough µ4/3 camera that has fast and accurate AF tracking. Potentially. With Panasonic lenses.

I don't think pro sports photographers will move to µ4/3 for this camera. Pro sports photographers care very little about smaller lighter kit. They care hugely about unbreakably tough gear with a vast support network, fast service from guys they know, and a proven reputation. Canon and Nikon have a stranglehold on all three. Breaking in requires providing all three, and waiting. Perhaps for a long time. And maybe not breaking in even then. It would require a deliberate, massive, expensive, long term corporate strategy, with low odds of success.

But for amateur enthusiasts like us, could this be The One? Fast and accurate AF tracking? I can't wait to see some independent reviews. Imagine taking my Panasonic 100-300 OIS to the game and getting lots of keepers.... it's enough to make the heart beat faster.
Any sports lovers interested in shooting still frames of 8MP at 24 fps until the battery runs out, with constant viewfinder image and fast AF tracking? No?
:jedi:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom