Panasonic GH4 Announced - 4K Video Comes to Micro Four Thirds

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
am i the only one questioning the seemingly ever increasing size of m4/3 cameras? isnt 'compactness', and i mean noticeable compactness, supposed to be the systems top advantage over apsc/FF?
It hasn't increased in size. The GH4 is little changed in both size and layout from the GH3 before it.
It is the same height and width as the E-M1, and weight is 560g vs 500g.

And at least it's pentaprism is useful, containing a pop-up flash that the E-M1 lacks.

pointbob

Mu-43 Regular
I don't really care about 4k, but if the sensor has improved low light performance, and a quicker focus with the new DFD focus system, then this is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Currently using G6, but want a larger and more rugged body, and didn't want to give up focus peaking with the GH3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with film cameras, we used to focus manually without the aid of focus peaking just fine.

Lisandra

Mu-43 Veteran
it looks like a terrificly well built camera. but am i the only one questioning the seemingly ever increasing size of m4/3 cameras? isnt 'compactness', and i mean noticeable compactness, supposed to be the systems top advantage over apsc/FF? you know, leicas 'small camera, big pictures' mantra turned digital? i honestly dont want to rain on anyones parade, and i dont do video so thats meaningless to me personally, but if i was going to shell out that much cash for a camera that size, why wouldnt i buy one of the new mirrorless FFs?
because the new mirrorless full frames have proven to be full of short comings. They are already discounted heavily (the a7 can be found for less than 1200$!). Problems with wides, extreme shutter shock, light leaks, the most uncomfortable shutter button ever, uninspiring output you name it. Besides, the gh3/gh4 body seems big in comparison to other m43s, but in real life it's smaller than the current rebel. Find me a camera smaller than a rebel that has this amount of buttons, customization, ergonomy and specs. Even if you ignore the video specs you're not gonna find it. The gh bodies are proof that mirrorless are able to mature and take over even.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I can't imagine anyone who does't particularly care about video buying this GH4. So basically, it's a video camera that also does stills. But that means it addresses a market that is FAR smaller than the stills market. It may be growing, but it's growing from something like 10% of the stills market, to maybe 20% of the stills market over time. It might even be the best damn under $5000 video camera ever made - but it's still completely irrelevant to me. It's also at least 25% heavier than any camera I would even consider at this point in time.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know what everyone's else is writing about (TLDR), I have an interesting idea.
Let's say this GH4 has massive power and a new (flippin' obvious) tweak to CD-AF ...

What if this thing turns out to be the real sports/action/kids autofocus massive-buffer FPS-demon camera?
As many RAW+Jpeg frames as you want, reliable AF, no hunting. Oh my.

Progress is cool.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Setting aside all the good comments about the GH4 not really being all that big, what is the deal with not being OK with diversity within the format? I think it is an absolute strength that we can go from a GM1 or E-PM2 to a GH4 or E-M1 with multiple options in between. All m4/3s cameras do not need to be "compact".

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't know what everyone's else is writing about (TLDR), I have an interesting idea.
Let's say this GH4 has massive power and a new (flippin' obvious) tweak to CD-AF ...

What if this thing turns out to be the real sports/action/kids autofocus massive-buffer FPS-demon camera?
As many RAW+Jpeg frames as you want, reliable AF, no hunting. Oh my.

Progress is cool.
I don't think this can shoot video in RAW, but I forgot that 4k image equals something like 8mp; which brings up the sport action point. I would think one could easily get an in-focus action shot with anywhere from 24-60 frames to possibly choose from, no?

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
because the new mirrorless full frames have proven to be full of short comings. They are already discounted heavily (the a7 can be found for less than 1200$!).
Please do share the link for A7's for less than $1200!!

dolbydunn

Mu-43 Regular
Check Prices on 4K Cameras

if i was going to shell out that much cash for a camera that size, why wouldnt i buy one of the new mirrorless FFs?
Have you check the prices of such 4K cameras? The following list from B&H clearly shows how CHEAP this camera is.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?&N=4256818814+4132992620

The 4K cameras with which Panasonic must compete are MIND-BLOWINGLY expensive . . . . $20,000 to &28,500 with NO LENS and they are NOT portable still cameras like the GH3 & GH4. The cine lens for the $20,000 Canon 4K is priced at $42,750 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839223-REG/Canon_6141B002_CN_E_14_5_60mm_T2_6_L.html

I could buy two of the GH4 + two $2000 video tripods + two of the XLR mic adapters and STILL have enough change to take the biggest vacation of my life . . . compared to the price of a Canon 4K camcorder or a Sony 4K.

If you are NOT into video this probably isn't the camera for you, but it isn't any larger than the GH3, it's smaller than the E-M1 or Fujis (which do not compete on video), and it's smaller than Canons or Sony's which do compete on video.

I LOVE taking video when the occasion arises and my GH3 & GX7 do a more than adequate job @ 1080P HD - even THAT requires plenty of hard drive space and takes hours to upload to YouTube on a High-Speed connection. So as far as 4K is concerned, I'm not ready for 4K, but at $1700.00 this camera is a game changer.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
because the new mirrorless full frames have proven to be full of short comings. They are already discounted heavily (the a7 can be found for less than 1200$!). Problems with wides, extreme shutter shock, light leaks, the most uncomfortable shutter button ever, uninspiring output you name it.
Have you even used one for more than a day? I could name, you know, two of the best quality (optically and wide open) autofocus primes for *any* system, one of the best sensors in the business in a body the size of the E-M1, and utterly stunning output (I don't mean the jpgs, which are just OK; but why would I shoot jpg on this kind of camera?). I (and others with me) haven't been able to replicate the shutter shock with natives or the adapted primes I have. And while the ultrawide thing is a shame for those of is hoping to use rangefinder/Leica M lenses, it's all about what native ultrawide a they release, and in the meantime there are always SLR ultrawides, which work just dandy. I haven't done any serious testing with long exposures, but haven't noticed any odd leaks or flares on my A7r during the few I've tried to date. And I haven't seen much beyond those few initial reports over a month ago.

I do agree the GH4 is an entirely different proposition and very likely a much better all-round camera, definitely a better video rig. The E-M1 is also a better camera in a lot of ways. And yet, for my landscape and people shooting/DOF control (I like the look of a fast 35 on FF) it is the perfect complement to MFT for me. Is it a first gen product? Yes. Flawless? No. A hell of a camera? Very much so.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All of the ones I will consider buying need to be. Small size and weight relative to still image quality is the only reason I'm in the system at all
I'm in the same boat personally as well, if you consider the E-M5 to be compact. But I still like the fact that the format is more diverse. I think a broader range of offerings helps us all in the long wrong.

I

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
All of the ones I will consider buying need to be. Small size and weight relative to still image quality is the only reason I'm in the system at all
I second this. But I acknowledge that many other people disagree, and I'm happy they have options too.

jonlong

Mu-43 Regular
with film cameras, we used to focus manually without the aid of focus peaking just fine.
You also used film just fine, too. Focus peaking is a new tool, and I've found it useful from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I'm looking through this thread to learn from the comments of those who like the video aspects of what appears to be an amazing piece of photo tech. I also like the small mu43 bodies, but I hardly think this is raising the size bar for the mu43 format. This is a more extreme camera for those with extensive video needs. We also just got the GM1 and the EM10, so I think we're doing just fine by the compact philosphy.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think even for those in the m43 community that don't care much about video (or larger cameras), this is a really good addition to the line-up and will diversify the interest in the format. I'm happy to see Panasonic being SO aggressive about putting out a great camera at a good price.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Not to fully get off topic but, I thought 4 was bad luck in Asia, s why is this the GH4, and not the GH5, like the other Panasonic models that skipped the #4.

I wonder if the G7, and GX2 is there is one will get the GH3 sensor(and possibly video capabilities)?
Olympus OM-4
Nikon D40
Nikon D4
Canon 40D
Canon 450D

Then there are the systems themselves....

FOUR Thirds
Micro FOUR Thirds

:smile:

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can't imagine anyone who does't particularly care about video buying this GH4. So basically, it's a video camera that also does stills. But that means it addresses a market that is FAR smaller than the stills market. It may be growing, but it's growing from something like 10% of the stills market, to maybe 20% of the stills market over time. It might even be the best damn under $5000 video camera ever made - but it's still completely irrelevant to me. It's also at least 25% heavier than any camera I would even consider at this point in time.
I honestly don't understand why people that have no interest in video (or m43/mirrorless for that matter, in response to other comments in this thread..) bother commenting on a GH4 thread. Panasonic and Olympus have clearly decided different strategies: Olympus for the ultimate m43 picture camera, Panasonic for the ultimate m43 video camera. For me, the GH3 (and the GH4) will be the best overall choice, as I shoot video and pictures about 50/50. I totally understand that if people don't care about video, they go the olympus route (or even some other format). In the end, even if you don't plan on getting the GH4, it IS making the m43 format more popular, and that is a good thing (unless for those that have a thing against m43 or mirrorless).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom