Panasonic GH4 Announced - 4K Video Comes to Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Key Points (per Panasonic):
    – Professional photo performance with exceptional moiré suppression.
    – 4K 24p cinematic video (4096x2160), plus 4K 3840x2160 30p/24p.
    – High speed 49 area auto focusing in photo or video, perfect for hybrid photography.
    – Durable magnesium alloy body and exceptional shutter life meets the demands of professional use.
    – Optional interface unit (shown below) complies with Full HD (4:2:2 / 10 bit) four parallel output, or 4K (4:2:2 / 10bit) output, both with time code. The 2ch XLR input terminals are equipped for a line or condenser microphone.

Pricing and availability have not yet been announced.

Full coverage at 1001 Noisy Cameras:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    With those video specs in a less than $2000 m43 body they should seriously have the GH4 testify in front of congress right next to A-Rod for performance enhancing drugs. I'm not a big video shooter, but holy cow. Great stuff.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    This ^ just about sums it up. Panny for video, Oly for stills, and fantastic lenses for both.
  4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I read somewhere state the new 16,05 Megapixel sensor with semi-conductor protection tech to reduce noise and improved dynamic range, I wonder how it compare with the old sensor to prove that much lower noise and higher DR.
  5. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not to fully get off topic but, I thought 4 was bad luck in Asia, s why is this the GH4, and not the GH5, like the other Panasonic models that skipped the #4.

I wonder if the G7, and GX2 is there is one will get the GH3 sensor(and possibly video capabilities)?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    Wow this seems like it just may be what I will need for my filming needs. Can't wait for real world reviews and hands on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    My guess is that Panasonic decided to go against tradition this time around as the 4 also signifies the camera's 4K video capability...
    • Like Like x 2
  8. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    it looks like a terrificly well built camera. but am i the only one questioning the seemingly ever increasing size of m4/3 cameras? isnt 'compactness', and i mean noticeable compactness, supposed to be the systems top advantage over apsc/FF? you know, leicas 'small camera, big pictures' mantra turned digital? i honestly dont want to rain on anyones parade, and i dont do video so thats meaningless to me personally, but if i was going to shell out that much cash for a camera that size, why wouldnt i buy one of the new mirrorless FFs?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It hasn't increased in size. The GH4 is little changed in both size and layout from the GH3 before it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't really care about 4k, but if the sensor has improved low light performance, and a quicker focus with the new DFD focus system, then this is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Currently using G6, but want a larger and more rugged body, and didn't want to give up focus peaking with the GH3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. RandomBuu

RandomBuu New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2013
    The gh4 looks to bee same size as the gh3 no? The add on makes it bigger yes, but such is the cost of all the additions.

As far as going full frame for the price, people with have to make that choice for themselves. I have a "good" habit of doing heavy research when it comes to spending $$$ vs what you can get. For myself, I have a decent amount of money invested in 4/3rds glass, I will have to take a strong look at this camera.

Personally, the cost of FF glass is madness...... Well maybe just out of my budget for what I use this camera for. To add more confusion, I'm sure some pretty pricey glass will pop up for this that could rival FF prices.

Personally I could care less about 4k but I would love the capability to do some crops and pans plus some very clean 1080 footage.

So it begins....
    • Like Like x 2
  12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Well, seems to me that this is built for a different application than most of your more typical m43 camera anyhow. Thing looks like a beast for video production (love that "grip"/add-on with the XLR connectors).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I'd still mark this heavyweight-m43 as having that distinct advantage. Recall that the only other hybrid still/video camera with even remotely similar features is the slightly bulkier (and likely slightly more expensive) Canon 1DC. The new Sony A7's, at around the same size and price tag, don't compare nearly as well on features. Also don't forget the total system size... once you get beyond a pair of primes, FF and APS-C balloon in total bulk. You could toss this camera and three pro-quality zooms ranging from 14-200mm equivalent into a small shoulder bag... not going to happen with anything full-frame.

Moving on to video, even with that chunk of ugly slung underneath, this camera compares very well (size, likely price, features, image) with a number of (likely) more expensive and feature-deficient prosumer cinema camera offerings.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Grrrrreeeeat... I just got my GH3 (albeit used). I will say that the battery grip on my GH3 makes the entire body feel so much more solid and professional when in use. The fact that it comes from Panasonic and that it fully communicates with the body for control of the camera internally is also a huge plus.

Concerning the form factor, there's always the GF or GX product lines for that --the GH series is clearly not interested in compactness. Frankly, once I've attached my external audio recorder to my camera rig (Zoom H4N), it is significantly larger that this would be with what looks like their docking station. Hopefully it will be a quality product and better than their GH3-only shotgun mic which was absolutely worthless from the testing I saw. Integrating the audio connections and monitoring, external power, and even what looks like SDI output natively, this is actually a VERY compact system that will give a lot of professional video rigs a serious run for their money.
  15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This camera is aimed squarely at a Canon 1D C. On that scale it is positively microscopic. We'll probably buy one at work -- the real question for me is mainly what the Sony A79 is going to look like. Sony's expected to announce 4K soon but the details haven't been nailed down yet. I'd prefer to see their approach before choosing my camera, but my experience to date has been that the GH3 is already a much better video camera than prosumer Sonys, focus peaking and PDAF aside.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    A long time ago I had a job basically being a grip for a video production company. It looks to me like that box could have replaced a whole bunch of the junk I was always stuck carrying around all day. :)
  17. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Think about it for a second... Panasonic are coming in with a system that is even more capable than the 1dc in a form factor (body AND lenses) that are tiny by comparison. From a feature VS feature perspective, the next step up after the GH4 isn't even the Canon 1dc it's professional video cameras from Canon at many many multiples the price and size - and that's just from the video perspective.
    I find it also interesting that Panasonic are not just pitching this as a video camera, but emphasizing the hybrid nature of it. With the exception of lack of IBIS for stills, there does not look to be any other concession to stills IQ in this camera - if anything stills IQ sounds like it will improve with respect to noise as a result of all the work Panasonic have put into keeping the circuitry as noiseless as possible.

The new DFD approach to autofocus sounds interesting - Sony do something similar but require additional phase detect pixels on the sensor for depth field analysis. Panasonic look to be doing something similar but using known lens profiles and fast contrast detect to achieve similar. I wonder how this will behave for tracking moving targets - the E-M1 is an imporvement , but any improvement on the E-M1 again is very welcome :)

This is another terrific additional to the m43 arsenal. If you were shooting a wedding, you could take a GH4 and an E-M1 and be set for both video and photos.
  18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Why not Pany for stills too? Kirk Tuck reckons the GH3 is at least the equal of the E-M1 for still photos. And the GH4 is an upgrade to the GH3 for still photos.
    • Like Like x 2