Panasonic GH3 with PL 25mm *blooming light problem HELP

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by magellan, Jun 17, 2014.

1. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Please help, I am not sure if this is a problem with the glass or the camera but I am getting this ugly light blooming. Please look at the photos
    Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.22.28 PM.
    Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.26.52 PM.

THANKS

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm... is there a UV filter on that lens?

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My 20mm does that sometimes, although occasionally a careful clean of the inside element helps.

4. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    YES. YES. Could that be the culprit? I had an ND and a UV filter on - but I think I took the ND filter off because it was night.

5. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Interesting, thanks. How do you go about cleaning the inside elements?

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's just I've had occasional problems with the Hoya UV filter on my PL25 when shooting into bright light sources at night... it seemed worse when the filter wasn't quite clean. I would definitely try a test with and without the filter to see if it's related.

In general the more glass/air interfaces you have the more of these kinds of issues you'll see, so I would avoid stacking filters. I swap out CPL, ND and UV rather stacking them. In fact I tend to avoid UV filters entirely unless I'm going to the beach :p

7. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    I had similar problems when using a UV filter on my PL 25. The problems happened so often that I now shoot without any filter.

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ive never had this issue in my ep3 em5 or em1 using the same lens, but its only ever had an nd filter on it(before i got my em1, now its NEKKID! and happy and FREEEEeeeee......!)

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Take the lens off the camera?

I bought a cheap "lenspen" thingy which has a foam pad at one end and a brush on the other.
    Between my shirt corner and lenspen I can get stuff clean :)

Then there're swabs, anti-static cloths, licking it etc etc.

10. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Sounds good, thanks a lot. I only had the UV filter on to protect the lens but it seems it is doing more bad than it is good - I leave the ND on pretty permanently anyways (unless it is really dark) so that will protect.