Panasonic GH3 vs Nikon D7100 (for stills)

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ajamils, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I currently own Panasonic GH3 but since all I use it for is stills, I have been really tempted by the new Nikon D7100 (especially because of the crop mode, no LP filter). I would like to know if anybody has any experience with the two camera's and can provide some feedback. I already know about the size and weight factor but other than that how do the still quality compares?

2. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Maybe you could rent a D7100 and do a comparsion? I know I would be intrested in what you might find out.
  3. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    There is no place near me that have D7100 in stock for sale, let alone for rent :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2.
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Since the D7100 just came out, I doubt that too many people have been able to do a comparison so far. I imagine that Thom Hogan will have some comments on the D7100 vs m43 in general eventually, since he stopped carrying his D7000 as his lightweight kit and replaced it with an E-M5/GX1 combo. But he might not address the GH3 specifically.

If you'd like to rent to try it out, appears to have a D7100 for rent.
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    What is wrong with the GH3, are you finding it has limitations or are you not happy with the IQ or functionality?
    What do you want the Nikon to do the GH3 doesn't?

6. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    There is nothing wrong with GH3, in fact it is the most feature filled camera currently in the market but from what I've seen so far from D7100 (and D5200 for that matter) I am totally sold. I have not seen any picture from my GH3 (or others) that can match the sharpness and IQ of those cameras.

Comparing DXO marks results here, you can that there is a big difference between the performance of GH3 vs D5200/D7100.

Since I'm already in m4/3 camp so I don't need convincing on the advantages of m4/3... I'm just looking for best IQ that I can get (without breaking the bank :smile:)