'Panasonic GH3 - First Image - And Video'

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That looks like a dial to me rather than toggle. It looks to me like there are 2 wheels on top, one on the back.

You could be right. Seems like Panasonic took criticism of the single control dial personally. :wink: We'll know soon, but if it is a dial that means maybe 4 control dials on this thing, presumably customizable as to function. You could set your camera up one way, then get handed someone else's and have no idea how to use it. :biggrin:

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Well, this doesn't look bad. Except that I cannot afford it... Size and weight are not as bad as I had thought. I like the words "newly designed low-pass filter", but would have hoped for 100 base ISO.
Thanks for posting. I agree with your remark on base ISO 100.
  • The battery pack is 1860 mAh (no type no. specified). The GH2's BLC-12 battery pack is 1200 mAh. Sigh... Yet another battery pack, although this time we seem to actually gain something: the capacity is 50 % higher which is nice, because the GH2 runs out of juice fairly quickly.
  • No need to carry a remote, my phone will be able to do remote firing. Nice!
  • "Extensive noise reduction" is not something I really look forward too. I hope they at least leave the raw files alone.
  • Max. shutter speed is 1/4000s. No dealbreaker, but 1/8000s would have been nice.
  • "Weather Proof: no" in the specs, in the description "tightly sealed to resist splashes and dust". So not suitable for pooring rain?
  • Apparently no PDAF
  • The body-only kit is apparently an option from day 1. :thumbup:

arad85

Mu-43 Veteran
What impresses me is the control layout. The ergos look, potentially, excellent. Possibly much better than the already very good GH2. Three control wheels and, I think, the toggle on the top of the body like the G5. And it looks like accidentally hitting the WB button is a thing of the past.
Looking at the pics on samys.com, there is one wheel behind the shutter, three direct access buttons for white balance, ISO and exposure comp behind the wheel and a Fn1 button. Hmm.....

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L21haW4vUy0wMjA3OTJfNHg2MDAuanBnIA==_H_SW700.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Man, I can't believe how many manual controls are on this compared even to the GH2. I'm still a little skeptical about the sensor tech (not enough specs to work from & no sample images yet) but it's looking pretty compelling otherwise. :2thumbs:

Brian G

Mu-43 Veteran
There are a couple of things in the press release that intrigue me, in particular the reference to a revised AA filter, with the inference that it will be very light, described as being able to record a lot of fine detail.

From my very first experience with m43, a G1, I was struck by the crispness of the files, which seems to continue forward into the GH2. (At the moment I have the GH2 and the EM5.) I'm not sure that the EM5 manages quite the same "bite" of the Panasonic files (thanks to David at Soundimageplus for that term!), but neither is it lacking in resolution by comparison, either. In any event, any differences in this regard are fairly small.

For AEB bracketing, I assume that the GH3 will work the same way the GH2 does, i.e. you can configure AEB in menus, and then only need to switch the camera into sequential shooting mode from a physical control to be in AEB. I can live with the EM5's kludgy operations in this area, but just not sure I really want to.

I'm quite keen to hear more on the GH3!

Cheers
Brian

Yohan Pamudji

Mu-43 Veteran
After seeing non-blurry pictures of the top and back of the camera I'm drooling even more over all the dials, control wheels, and buttons. Love my E-M5, but with its heavily menu-reliant interface it's not a camera for fast-paced shooting like covering an event. The GH3 looks the business!

What's funny is with all these recent camera announcements including a couple FF cameras, it's weird to see the sensor be that small with respect to the rest of the body. Maybe that's why m4/3 cameras have been so small up until now--to make the sensor not look undersized by comparison :)

SZRimaging

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, I'm starting a document right now to see what it'll take to switch from Nikon to this.... Is that bad?

mguffin

Mu-43 Regular
SZRimaging said:
Yeah, I'm starting a document right now to see what it'll take to switch from Nikon to this.... Is that bad?

Me too. D300s is too much to lug around these days. The OM-D EM-5 and the GH3 are the front runners. DSLR style at m4/3 size. Already sold one lens today.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
For AEB bracketing, I assume that the GH3 will work the same way the GH2 does, i.e. you can configure AEB in menus, and then only need to switch the camera into sequential shooting mode from a physical control to be in AEB. I can live with the EM5's kludgy operations in this area, but just not sure I really want to.

There's a dedicated switch on the top of the GH3 that appears to switch between single shot, multi-shot, and AEB via the mechanical switch. Assuming it works the way other Panasonic cams have previously, you would set your bracketing configuration then switch "drive mode" between that and single or multi-shot.

I don't expect this to change with the GH3, but what I would love to see is the ability to do AEB with a single press of the shutter (i.e. without holding it down to take all the shots), and/or in conjunction with the timer. It'd be very convenient to be able to set the 2s or 10s timer and have it automatically take all the AEB shots in a row.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting. I agree with your remark on base ISO 100.
  • The battery pack is 1860 mAh (no type no. specified). The GH2's BLC-12 battery pack is 1200 mAh. Sigh... Yet another battery pack, although this time we seem to actually gain something: the capacity is 50 % higher which is nice, because the GH2 runs out of juice fairly quickly.
  • No need to carry a remote, my phone will be able to do remote firing. Nice!
  • "Extensive noise reduction" is not something I really look forward too. I hope they at least leave the raw files alone.
  • Max. shutter speed is 1/4000s. No dealbreaker, but 1/8000s would have been nice.
  • "Weather Proof: no" in the specs, in the description "tightly sealed to resist splashes and dust". So not suitable for pooring rain?
  • Apparently no PDAF
  • The body-only kit is apparently an option from day 1. :thumbup:

Remember that this is Samy's, and not official Panasonic release. It may not be completely accurate. As far as "splash and dust proof" that's how Olympus describes the OM-D, too. No manufacturer wants to acept the potential liability that comes with "weatherproof."

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't expect this to change with the GH3, but what I would love to see is the ability to do AEB with a single press of the shutter (i.e. without holding it down to take all the shots), and/or in conjunction with the timer. It'd be very convenient to be able to set the 2s or 10s timer and have it automatically take all the AEB shots in a row.

Maybe with your Android or OIS smartphone and the built-in Wifi? At a minimum, you'd be able to fire off three shots without having to physically touch the camera.

village-west

New to Mu-43
hilarious
panasonic posted a video on youtube and then panasonic removed it claiming copyrights . what was that? copyright is some serious matter, they don't supposed to play with it like they did. post it, remove it. they did it all. LOL
Looks like the marketing people know how to promote stuff , don't they? The camera is expensive, does basically what the GH2 does for twice the price and the target is ... teenagers? only if they want to target teens they come up with something like that (post and claim copyright infringement of what they posted). Never seen before... a copyright owner pursuing himself.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
hilarious
panasonic posted a video on youtube and then panasonic removed it claiming copyrights . what was that? copyright is some serious matter, they don't supposed to play with it like they did. post it, remove it. they did it all. LOL
Looks like marketing people know how to promote stuff , don't they? The camera is expensive, does basically what the DH2 does for twice the price and the target is ... teenagers? only if they want to target teens they come up with something like that (post and claim copyright infringement of what they posted). Never seen before... a copyright owner pursuing himself.

FWIW - the original video was very good and focused on pros. I am sorry, but teenagers? Really? This a very serious camera aimed at serious video pros.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Panasonic US posted the video, then removed it after it was leaked. The copyright infringement was because it was reposted to another account, so Panasonic US issued a takedown notice. That's a reasonable business practice, to protect the Panasonic brand and avoid confusion over authenticity, not to mention plugging a leak when the video was pulled and 43rumors had it mirrored on another account. Panasonic didn't post it, then sue themselves for copyright infringement to get it taken down :rolleyes:

village-west

New to Mu-43
FWIW - the original video was very good and focused on pros. I am sorry, but teenagers? Really? This a very serious camera aimed at serious video pros.
the camera (at least the GH2) is a serious tool for serious videographers. The GH3 (it they want it to be taken seriously by the copyright sensitive kind of users) sure started the promotion like kids at play, not serious, at all. I wasn't referring to the camera targeting teens, I was referring to the marketing people most likely teens posting and then removing (in other words... they don't look like in the know of what they're doing, to me).
anyway let's see what the GH3 can do in the serious world of videography , despite the amateurish marketing shown so far ...
:)

[ame="http://vimeo.com/49420579"]Panasonic GH3 launch film: Genesis on Vimeo[/ame]
here's the Genesis movie, before the marketing people takes it down LOL

village-west

New to Mu-43
Panasonic US posted the video, then removed it after it was leaked. The copyright infringement was because it was reposted to another account, so Panasonic US issued a takedown notice. That's a reasonable business practice, to protect the Panasonic brand and avoid confusion over authenticity, not to mention plugging a leak when the video was pulled and 43rumors had it mirrored on another account. Panasonic didn't post it, then sue themselves for copyright infringement to get it taken down :rolleyes:

hmmm .. what? panasonic US posted the video and then what? look I remember the product shots of the Canon 1Ds few years ago: they left the metadata and it was a phase one camera shooting the pics : problem? yeah.. the 1Ds was targeting studios by then. That was no better than this: a marketing debacle. Now if you want to defend panasonic inventing stuff to cover it then be my guest, but they are not gonna give you a free camera if you do that. believe me...

one more thing: being naive may be cute and everything but the adults know that there is no such a thing as "leaks". they are all well prepared to .. leak...

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
[...]

Now if you want to defend panasonic inventing stuff to cover it then be my guest, but they are not gonna give you a free camera if you do that. believe me...

one more thing: being naive may be cute and everything but the adults know that there is no such a thing as "leaks". they are all well prepared to .. leak...

Heh, I'm not defending Panasonic... I'm just pointing out that they didn't apply a copyright takedown notice against themselves as you suggested earlier.

I happen to agree with your second premise, naiveté aside :rolleyes: I doubt the initial posting of the video was accidental. Anything's possible, but I find it much more likely it was posted intentionally to create buzz ahead of the camera announcement on Monday (amongst all the others at Photokina), which it did.

Latest threads

Top Bottom